• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildfowl Day (1 Viewer)

ickle_vicki

I've had a fantastic day today for birding as I visited Roath Park/lake in Cardiff

Here's what i saw:
Mallards
Coots
Moorhens
Pochards
Redhead
Black Swan (3)
Mute Swans
White geese (what their proper breed name?)
Barnacle Geese
Red Breasted Geese
Greylag Geese
Canadian Geese
4 Heron
15 Cormorants
Many Mediteraen Gulls
Black Headed Gulls
2 Great Crested Grebe
2 Little Grebes/Dabchicks
Gadwall
Tufted Ducks
Muscovy Duck
Ruddy Shelducks
3 I do not know the name of:

One looked like a big Mallard - it had the same green head but a duller brown body
The other most obviously had a pinky/red bill and dark body
and the other is hard to describe but i've got a pi so hopefully i can upload it soon.

Now i was wondering if these birds were introduced at some point but there is nothing keeping them there i.e fences/clipping of wings and the notice just said that Roath Park attracts a numerous variety of birds..

I think I'm ticking them anyway as there was no warden or anyone there looking after the min a particular way.

Last edited:
and there was this little brown duck, bit smaller than a med gull. It had a darker brown back than its flanks were. and the bill is almost a blue tinted brown. any ideas?

The 'big Mallard' could have been a Rouen Duck I guess Vicki.

Nice day out!

ickle_vicki said:
I've had a fantastic day today for birding as I visited Roath Park/lake in Cardiff

Here's what i saw:
Mallards
Coots
Moorhens
Pochards
Redhead
Black Swan (3)
Mute Swans
White geese (what their proper breed name?)
Barnacle Geese
Red Breasted Geese
Greylag Geese
Canadian Geese
4 Heron
15 Cormorants
Many Mediteraen Gulls
Black Headed Gulls
2 Great Crested Grebe
2 Little Grebes/Dabchicks
Gadwall
Tufted Ducks
Muscovy Duck
Ruddy Shelducks
3 I do not know the name of:

One looked like a big Mallard - it had the same green head but a duller brown body
The other most obviously had a pinky/red bill and dark body
and the other is hard to describe but i've got a pi so hopefully i can upload it soon.

Now i was wondering if these birds were introduced at some point but there is nothing keeping them there i.e fences/clipping of wings and the notice just said that Roath Park attracts a numerous variety of birds..

I think I'm ticking them anyway as there was no warden or anyone there looking after the min a particular way.

Two days ago I visited Roath Park Lake for the first time since 1979 (I was a Geology postgrad. in Cardiff).

Two of your unidentified ducks are Chiloe Wigeon and Rosybill. There was another small buffy coloured duck there with a bright orange bill (a pair) that I'm still not sure about, despite an extensive trawl of my library last night.

This is a genuine and very long-established wildfowl collection, and you're certainly pushing your luck ticking any of these !

Cheers, Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back