• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife gears for astrophotography (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Due to pandemic, many of us being stuck or stay at home more often. Park and some outdoor activities were off limit on and off. Mind as well take up new activity using your existing birding gears and pointing up in night sky while staying at home.

I don't own binoculars or spotting scope, but you should be able to take some nice astronomical pictures of some bright stars if you know where to point to. There are some cheap smartphone adapter that can easily attach (clip-on) to your scope eye pieces.

The following photos were taken using my wildlife gears, Sony A7Riii, Sony FE 200-600mm, some using 1.4x TC. All taken in single shot on tripod. No astro tracking mount in use.

resize_PIC-20210718-230949-DSC00066-A7R3c.jpg

resize_PIC-20210713-224547-DSC01008-A7R3b-denoise.jpg

resize_PIC-20210713-002849-DSC00941-A7R3b-denoise-denoise-denoise.jpg

resize_PIC-20210712-235243-DSC00935-A7R3a-denoise.jpg

resize_PIC-20210707-013509-DSC00765-A7R3a.jpg
This Jupiter were combined by 2 separate shots. One with over exposed to see the moons, another with proper exposure to see the Jupiter's bands. Then cut out the Jupiter and paste into over exposed shot.

Those are very impressive shots! And a very clever solution to the Jupiter/moons exposure problem. I really enjoyed looking at these. Thanks for posting.

Jerry

What always strikes me about Starry Messenger is how for thousands of years, no one seems actually to have asked what they were looking at in the night sky, even an object as large as the Moon, until it was finally examined through a telescope. (Well, only a handful, like Anaxagoras, whom few took seriously.) The heavens didn't seem real, despite the amount of attention paid to their motions and cycles, until the telescope somehow made them so.

It would be fun to try to reproduce the views of Jupiter and moons that Galileo documented in his notes. It’s oddly moving to share that view with one of the founders of modern science.

Best,
Jerry

Jerry, here are 3 of the visible moons of Jupiter, Europa, Ganymede & Io but it is not captured thru my 200-600mm lens, instead it is thru my new 8" Dobsonian Telescope, captured with my Sony A7Riii. Taken on 26th August, 2021 MYT over Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo night sky.

This telescope is not so great for stars or deep sky object instead it is meant for planet, moon, sun.

resize_C0073_Jupiter-sharpen-edit.jpg

resize_C0073_Jupiter-sharpen.jpg

Here is my first capture of Saturn. Over processed a bit but it still look impressive the details captured.
resize_C0062_Saturn_regx_canvas.jpg

resize_C0062_Saturn_regx.jpg

I've managed a few half-decent images using my Pentax K-3, 300mm prime and 1.4 converter. The camera has an 'Astrotracker' function (you have to buy a GPS unit that plugs into the flash shoe) This allows exposures up to 2 minutes with no 'trailing'.
Also, by attaching a professional solar filter foil, I can photograph sunspots!

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 17
  • Best Jup 3.jpg
    Best Jup 3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 16
  • m31.jpg
    m31.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 17
  • foil 2.jpg
    foil 2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ss 5.jpg
    ss 5.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back