• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stint maybe? Id help please, Muscat Oman, March 23, 2024 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Help sought please, are these sanderlings or little stints or something else? Photos taken at mouth of the Muscat River, about 100 meters from the ocean on March 23, 2024. The river is almost non-existent at this time.
I am leaning towards little stints due to I think the thin and not thick bill, what I think is a pointed bill tip, and no dusting of white along the feather edges. Unfortunately, the angle of the birds heads and bill are not particularly helpful, nor is the somewhat foggy photos:)
Also, they were not running around like I usually see sanderlings do.
All comments, corrections and suggestions gratefully appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1dc9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1dc9.jpeg
    728.7 KB · Views: 68
  • fullsizeoutput_1dca.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1dca.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • fullsizeoutput_1dcb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1dcb.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • fullsizeoutput_1dcc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1dcc.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 67
Thank you Ken, much appreciated as always. I almost did not post the last photo; fortunately I did as that would be a first for me:) I will have to go through my photos again now:)
I was wondering about the hint of an eye-ring on the birds.
thank you again Ken
steve

Thanks Butty, is that because they all have it or because I am seeing things or it varies by individual within a species, or for another reason:)?
Thanks again, I do find eye-rings very variable in shorebirds (except for some plovers)
steve

If your field guide doesn't say it's of any significance, then it's not of any significance. I can't, offhand, think of using either eye-ring or orbital ring in the ID of any Calidris (others may correct me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back