• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Tit ID (from audio) (1 Viewer)

Ben M

Some points in the other recent thread on Willow/Marsh ID has prompted me to check the ID I made last weekend. I'm no photographer, but I use my camcorder to try and capture footage of what I see. One of the advantages is that it records the calls too. The visual footage is pretty bad (only good enough to ascertain Willow/Marsh), so I'm attaching the audio. It's in WMV format as audio-only formats don't seem to be allowed.

The location was the edge of the lake at Thoresby Park, north Notts. The bird was in the small trees and scrub that bordered/overhung the lake's edge.

From the calls I think it's a Willow Tit, but would like your expert opinions, as I'm just a beginner.

Attachments

• 2006-11-19 - 14-07 - SK631705 - Marsh_Tit.wmv
    53.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I really don't hear Willow Tits much these days, and only occasionally hear Marsh Tits, so I don't have my ear in for them at all. I have to say though I'm not totally convinced that's a Willow Tit. It actually sounds a bit more like the 'Zi-zi-zi' of a Marsh Tit to me. Quite jaunty with slight 'sneezing' quality at the beginning. Willow Tits always sound quite buzzy and 'grumpy' to me. But maybe my memory's playing tricks on me!

andrew is right. and this is the confusing 'zee-zee..' of marsh tit but of course much shorter in its sillables. willow has a much longer 'dzeeeee-dzeeee' or even 'djeeee-djeeee'.

Thanks everyone, glad to have the befit of your expertise and learn a few things myself.

I've just edited my original post, but only to rename the audio file to Marsh Tit.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back