• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Tit/Marsh Tit ID (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
I took these pictures today: County Durham, woodland/streams, just off the coast.

To me, this bird doesn't look as smart as the marsh tit, and there are some pale fringes on the wing feathers, added to that extended white cheek: possible Willow Tit?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Attachments

• P1040453 (2).jpg
    P1040453 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • P1040467 (2).jpg
    P1040467 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Tricky - they show the pale spot on the bill that 'should' make them Marsh. But could it just be reflected light, rather than an actual pale spot? Pic #1 certainly has the classic Willow secondary panel, though.

I think that despite appearances they're marsh. Nice and neat, glossy black cap, limited white wing panel, rounded head shape etc

Tricky - they show the pale spot on the bill that 'should' make them Marsh. But could it just be reflected light, rather than an actual pale spot? Pic #1 certainly has the classic Willow secondary panel, though.

Aye, I took this picture the other day in the same area and the pale/white fringes aren't there. 'Could just be hidden though.

Attachments

• Marsh Tit.jpg
    Marsh Tit.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Aye, I took this picture the other day in the same area and the pale/white fringes aren't there. 'Could just be hidden though.
That pic is in flatter light, so the pale spot on the bill (just visible) is real; I'd say this pic is Marsh.

It is possible to get both species at the same site, so I'd not give the ID of one pic on the basis of another pic unless you were sure it was the same individual (y)

That pic is in flatter light, so the pale spot on the bill (just visible) is real; I'd say this pic is Marsh.

It is possible to get both species at the same site, so I'd not give the ID of one pic on the basis of another pic unless you were sure it was the same individual (y)

'No, I couldn't possibly be sure. I know from experienced bird watchers who manage certain nature reserves that they both visit the same feeders at more or less the same time. These pictures weren't taken at a nature reserve but it is very similar, if not identical, in terms of habitat. The only difference being that these pictures were taken just off the coast. The point I thought may be relevant is that in the more obvious Marsh Tit picture, the one you mention, there are no white/pale fringes on the wings; whereas on the pictures I've just put up tonight, there are.

I think the evidence suggests the bill spot is more consistent than the wing panels... Either way, various characters in your photos suggest marsh to me

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back