• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow tits (1 Viewer)

yorkshire83

Rob Hunton
Have been watching a pair of Willow Tits feeding on sunflower seeds at our feeding station over the last few days/weeks with interest as in my collins field guide it says they wont be seen at bird tables in winter!

The pair dont aften call but it did the other day and without doubt was a Willow tit ("CHA-CHA-CHA").
Other features on the bird which hint at Willow is the pale patch on the secondaries- not always visible though, & the bib appears to distort at the bottom- on marshes i have seen has always been neat and have a clear end to the bib.

So i am confident that the pair are Willow Tits but the guide makes me question my judgement.
Anyone else have Willow tits feeding at a station that they know of?

Regards,
Rob

It has been known from a number of feeding stations...

A few years ago, a bird regularly came in to the birdtable at Titchwell, and an individual at the Ouse Washes reserve was widely twitched by county birders, since there are very few left in the area now.

I've seen records from a few places further north, where Willow Tit is more common, as well - can't remember where off hand.

Basically, what you describe sounds spot on for Willow Tit, esp the call. They are still pretty unusual at feeders, unlike Marsh Tit, but they do undoubtedly occur.

Nice one!

I used to get them on the table at my previous house and we get the regularly on the tables at Rother Valley C.P

Mark

They have been regular for several years at Fosse Meadows, Leics., - either at the peanut feeder or, especially, on the ground if you chuck some sunflower seeds down.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back