• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler or Chiffchaff ??? (1 Viewer)

Donald Talbott

Well Known Member.
Taken this morning in my garden. 9/8/2023. I know Chiffchaff has dark legs. Many thanks for your help. Donald Talbott.

Attachments

• Willow Warbler 20.jpg
    Willow Warbler 20.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Willow Warbler 22.jpg
    Willow Warbler 22.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 94
Hello Donald,

I agree with your ID, judging from the file-name:

do you have more pictures, that allows to judge pp and number of emarginations?

Anyway, I would opt for a Willow Warbler if forced:

• extensive and uniform citrin-yellow underparts with only a little pure white o the central belly (ID book colouration for a 1cy Willow Warbler, but I think within variation for an extrem Chiffchaff???)
  • yes, legs are dark in your bird, but feet are warm orange.
  • head pattern seems better for a Willow Warbler, although I always search for the darker frame on the lower ear-coverts, that many Willow Warblers have.

Hello Donald,

I agree with your ID, judging from the file-name:

do you have more pictures, that allows to judge pp and number of emarginations?

Anyway, I would opt for a Willow Warbler if forced:

• extensive and uniform citrin-yellow underparts with only a little pure white o the central belly (ID book colouration for a 1cy Willow Warbler, but I think within variation for an extrem Chiffchaff???)
  • yes, legs are dark in your bird, but feet are warm orange.
  • head pattern seems better for a Willow Warbler, although I always search for the darker frame on the lower ear-coverts, that many Willow Warblers have.
So this one would be a Willow Warbler too - else how is that emargination criteria defined, exactly? Primaries are more "pointy" in this Chiffchaff picture...

Attachments

• willow_warbler.JPG
    willow_warbler.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 36
  • chiffchaff.jpg
    chiffchaff.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hello,

yes I agree with you: left bird should be a Willow Warbler and the right bird should be a Chiffchaff (as labelled), although I would like to see the entire bird (no offence you know)

For the emargination thing: is this helpful?
I'm not even sure where do these primaries begin and end when the wing is folded... And some sources mention possible hybrids?

No offence, I chose those frames on purpose, as the global shape/silhouette and feet might be too obvious on the whole birds.

Attachments

• phylloscopus_trochilus_4_min.jpg
    phylloscopus_trochilus_4_min.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 16
  • phylloscopus_collybita_6_min.jpg
    phylloscopus_collybita_6_min.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back