• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (6 Viewers)

This trip was my first chance to use the Swarovski BTX and it did not disappoint. It really is like using a pair of 30x binoculars and the pin sharp bright image has to be experienced to be believed. I used it on the 65mm lens due to only taking one small cabin rucksack. I used a lightweight tripod ideal for travelling as I remove the head to fit in with size restrictions. It is more than stable enough and in addition I can remove to use as a monopod if required. I also have the 95mm module and the ATX eyepiece - this gives an incredibly bright crisp image with a 30-70x zoom. The BTX is a fixed 30x zoom but I have the ME 1.4 converter if required. In addition I have the Swarovski 2.0 adapter for my mobile phone + a Bluetooth shutter release to avoid shake. I take a Lumix fz330 bridge camera for weight and handiness and it all works well. My Canon 7D’s and 150-600mm zoom is simply far too bulky to take and heavy to tote around all day.

Good birding -

Laurie -

The Hotel, whose name escapes me, in El Rocio is right down the far end of 'town' and has a very olde feel to it. It is allied to the bar and restaurant opposite and share the same friendly staff. The wildlife and birds of the Donana are depicted in the lobby, hallways and rooms. Locally made tiles are notable as are superb illustrations by a local artist/birder. The photograph of the Peregrine hitting the Mallard doesn't do it justice as it is a 3D presentation. On our last visit we heard Dogs barking in the middle of the night and upon emerging next morning we saw the reason - Wild Boar had dug up the lawn that the staff were proud of :)))

Attachments

• P1690878-crop.JPG
    P1690878-crop.JPG
    698.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P1690882-crop.JPG
    P1690882-crop.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1690885-crop.JPG
    P1690885-crop.JPG
    722.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P1690887-crop.JPG
    P1690887-crop.JPG
    714.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P1690890-crop.JPG
    P1690890-crop.JPG
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 2
We were given the same room as before and like the others it is themed with a particular species ours being Purple Heron. The tree on the right is directly in front of the window but we don't spend time inside anyway. We were there 3 nights 2 days. The first full day it was light rain until about 11am. After Coffee and Toast I walked to El Rocina and back which took about 4 hours and arrived back just as rain started again. The second morning was incredibly dense fog until about 1030 and then it cleared for a superb day so another jaunt to El Rocina. I have already decided that should we decide on a jaunt at the same time in future it will be South Med probably Morocco where there is excellent out of migration season birding and better weather. We have been in both Nov and Dec and thoroughly enjoyed it.....

Attachments

• P1690948-crop.JPG
    P1690948-crop.JPG
    710.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1690892-crop.JPG
    P1690892-crop.JPG
    401.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P1690894-crop.JPG
    P1690894-crop.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P1690896-crop.JPG
    P1690896-crop.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 1
  • P1690899-crop.JPG
    P1690899-crop.JPG
    576.7 KB · Views: 0
El Rocio from both ends and the biggest Church in the middle of town - where the Crag Martins roosted. The beautiful long-legged Jack Russell we met as a young Dog 5 years ago and it was great to see him again. I love making friends with local, usually feral, Dogs when abroad. I save suitable food and they often accompany me on walks which I like. In Southern Maroc one particular pack took it on themselves to protect me and chased everything off.....I never did get a decent picture of Red-rumped Wheatears!

Attachments

• P1700012-crop.JPG
    P1700012-crop.JPG
    655.3 KB · Views: 2
  • P1690979-crop.JPG
    P1690979-crop.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • P1690978-crop.JPG
    P1690978-crop.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • P1690947-crop.JPG
    P1690947-crop.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
I am still quite active locally birding it’s just that I don’t actually see much worth reporting and I do not post on social media. There are half a dozen of us in a WhatsApp group but even there I do not pass on detailed information on breeding birds and particularly during the breeding season. Information such as that is just shared with one friend whose car we use when needed. My own birding that I class as ‘local’ is within 5 miles of the house and for that I use a range of bicycles depending on season. With regard to passage or wintering birds I am more than happy to give information to people in the group to put on social media. Again I am circumspect if there is likely to be a disturbance factor.

For me the welfare of the bird is paramount no matter what season.
It always amuses me when you see an incident involving bird photographers and disturbance. There is usually the Code for birders/Togs attached. Most of this is waffle. Common sense and respect for the animals and plants is all that is required and not a table of dont’s for the selfish and hard of thinking. The welfare of the bird comes first that’s all people need to know…..

There are far too many parasitic photographers that lack the discipline, fieldcraft and patience required and due to social media feel they have a right to the information that is gained through hard work, old skool birding and faithful patch-working. I do not intend to fuel their requirements.

Since my return from Georgia late-September it has without doubt been the most miserable period and worst Winter birding conditions that I can remember…..bar none! Everywhere I go has remained in a Somme-like condition for months with hardly any Sun and little gentle breeze to remove the saturation. Roll on Spring. I am looking forward to nearly a week in Malaga from next Tuesday. I have a coupla visits to the reserve at Rio Guadalhorce - I picked up a Lesser Crested Tern last February. May sees a 2 week trip flying from Brum to Tirana for 4 days of birding on the Albanian coast before an overnight ferry to Bari and onward to Naples and Pizza. We fly back from Pisa. Ryanair now fly direct from BHX to both Seville and Tirana for those interested.

September will either be Burgas for finding my own stuff using the Western Black Sea flyway or…..back to Batumi. What’s not to like? November has potentially Oman pencilled in if my mate can allocate funds or it’s December in Maroc with The Bride for a coupla weeks probably as far South as Zagora in the Draa Valley and a week around coastal Essouria. Fingers crossed a lot can happen in a year e.g. no planned return trip to Eilat for a month April/May :(((

Locally it’s a time for both Winter Gulls and checking out Raven, Goshawk, Peregrine, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Red Kite potential. We have 3 more new nesting sites for Raven between Stourbridge and Kidderminster. The Merry Hill Ravens are back for a 4th consecutive year with the male feeding the female who is on the nest mid-Feb. They have reared a total of 9 young to fledging thus far. A 2nd pair of Gos displaying and calling on suitable days has been located. These are local birds and not the Wyre Forest diaspora of which these year on year now breed in woodland not contiguous with the core breeders. Lesser Pecker has drawn a blank so far with not a single calling bird - I am not interested in the well-known Kinver pair that have been photographed to death. As for Red Kite we now have nearly 4.5k breeding pairs. So many that we are now exporting first clutch eggs back to Spain from whence some of our reintroduced birds originated - how times change / coals to Newcastle. Despite that I know of none breeding locally and if you do keep it to yourself. We have 3 pairs within 5 miles of Bewdley. A pair of locally breeding Peregrine still elude me despite photographing mating birds in Brierley Hill 3 years ago. There are plenty of suitable low-rise tower blocks will ample Pigeons on the menu so it’s just a matter of time I suppose. I don’t count the breeding pair at Halesowen as they are now too high profile. I do check but it is from afar and not like some of the idiots standing below. The pair have even generated heat in a local WhatsApp group - the same group that convicted ‘bird botherer’ Lindgaard unsuccessfully tried to join. He is a reformed character but you past never goes away mate…..

Attached are 2 pictures from Saturday. One of the male MH Raven calling and the other of a rather smart ‘Continental-type’ sinensis Cormorant on Netherton Razzer. In addition is a local Waxwing 1 of a dozen sitting in a Birch by Lidl in Brettell Lane. I haven’t chased any as I would rather happen across my own and so thus far I have only had a couple of overflying, calling, birds at Aldi, Stourbridge - maybe they are associated with supermarkets and not Rowan? Lastly is a photo of one of the Bewdley Red Kites from last year on the nest taken from a public right of way. This bird fledged 3 chicks…..

Good birding -

Laurie -

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.45.58-crop.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.45.58-crop.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.45.30-crop.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.45.30-crop.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.45.01-crop.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.45.01-crop.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.46.19-crop.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.46.19-crop.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 6
Malaga 6th-9th March…..

72 species recorded all but one during 2x 4-hour visits to the Rio Gualdalhorce/Vieja reserve.

Below is a list of the more notable species that I do not see locally plus early migrants including a couple of singing Garden Warblers which surprised me. In addition were a small party 6+ of Marbled Teal a species that I have not recorded on the ca8 previous visits. I highly recommend the reserve. It is only 25 mins on the bus from Malaga central and the best value birding at 1 euro 40 cents each way. The weather was mixed with one blistering day one overcast and 2 with heavy showers most of both days - the latter were the days I visited the reserve..... We consider ourselves lucky as there was really heavy rain all over Spain from Ronda north as was there in northern Maroc. This presumably was why migration was exceptionally quiet. I last visited a month earlier last year and it was much busier. Hirundines this time were in dozens not hundreds, virtually no waders, warblers thin on the ground and few gulls save for the high-tide roost of Med.

We stopped 5 nights/4 full days in the Soho district of Malaga at around 50 euros per night - prices have increased by about 25% in Spain since last year and still they seem to be cracking on with making life for Brits more difficult to visit. A recent report on Birdguides singles out wintering UK Lesser black-backed Gulls as sources of plastic pollution on the Coto Donana - what are they smoking?

I left a lengthy reply to the article on the BG website.....

If in Malaga I would recommend 2 bars where we languished in-between showers and birding. La Fabrica which is a Cruzcampo establishment and has 8 or so craft beers made by them. Our other choice was La Rincon de Cervizieta (The Corner Of Beer) very much a locals place and had a wide range of excellent craft ales plus many imports.

Yellow-legged Gull
Black Redstart
Spotless Starling
Blackcap
Lesser Kestrel
Serin
Little Ringed Plover
Black-winged Stilt
White Wagtail
Swallow
Cetti’s Warbler
Sardinian Warbler
Crested Lark
Kentish Plover
Woodchat - female
Osprey
Fan-tailed Warbler
Garden Warbler
Raven
Hoopoe
Booted Eagle - 2 birds, a dark-morph adult and a 1s-type pale bird.
Slender-billed Gull
House Martin
Marbled Teal
Avocet
Firecrest
White-headed Duck
Red-rumped Swallow
Crag Martin
Greater Flamingo
Spoonbill
Mediterranean Gull - roost of 500+
Marsh Harrier - male