• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Peewee ? Southern Ontario (1 Viewer)

Robin Harrison

My guess is a juvenile Wood Peewee but none of my books show the eye colour this bird has. Red/dark brown.
Other suspects would include gt. crested flycatcher and phoebe also seen in this garden.
Thanks
Robin

Attachments

• Peewee.jpg
    Peewee.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
Any more photos? Seems awfully brown for a peewee, and I can't see any wing bars. I'd favor phoebe but I could easily change my mind.

No more images I'm afraid.............it's immature if that makes a difference ( I'm looking at the corner of the mouth.....remnants of the yellow bit...don't know if it has a name)
Thanks both.

Yep, I see the yellow at the corner of the bill. A few birds have a bit of that even as adults but it's usually something that only hatchlings and fledglings show. ("Juvenile gape" is the term I know, the basic idea is it makes their open mouths more obvious when begging their parents for food.) Speaking of bills, wood-pewees usually have at least some yellow on the lower half of the bill. Phoebes have much darker bills. Unfortunately I don't know how true that is at this age. Your bird has a mostly dark bill but I do see just a little yellow at the bottom.

I've only seen an Eastern Phoebe a few times but this image sure looks like the ones I saw. Nice pic btw :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back