• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wood warblers (1 Viewer)

terryeyre said:
managed a few photos of a wood warbler today,a rare sight in these parts,are they rare all over the uk?
terry

None in Goyt Valley, Derbyshire yesterday, this time last year there were at least three singing, may be they are taking longer to return!

Cheers
Nick

Capercaillie71 said:
They are very much a bird associated with western oak woods and become scarcer the further east you go. I think they have also declined in numbers in recent years. Here is their breeding distribution from the 1976 and 1993 bird atlases:

http://blx1.bto.org/atlases/WO-comp.html

Last year we only managed 3 singing birds in semi natural oakwoodland

In early '90s same wood had a max of 18 singing birds, so a bit of a crash here.

Although i did hear someone say they tend to occur in cycles (not ON cycles)
....?

SteveE

They used to be in nearly all the birch woods in the far north of scotland, just one or two pairs left now!

nirofo.

Attachments

• Wood Warbler.jpg
    Wood Warbler.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
StevieEvans said:
Last year we only managed 3 singing birds in semi natural oakwoodland

In early '90s same wood had a max of 18 singing birds, so a bit of a crash here.

Although i did hear someone say they tend to occur in cycles (not ON cycles)
....?

SteveE
Im finding a lot of wood warblers under larch and pine trees which have been thinned out thus allowing ground cover to grow. They do seem thinner on the ground in more traditional habitat, but perhaps they have moved to this other type of habitat.

yeah, I've always found that interesting .. how they seem to generally avoid being found at coastal watch-points/observatories and get straight inland ...

further to my post about Regent's Park being the London 'hot-spot' for spring singing males ... none have found there to my kowledge this spring

They seem to have crashed round here this year.I've Visited 5 locations a number of times where they are regular in East Cheshire and haven't heard a single one! ( though a couple have been seen by others). I've never had to work hard to find one before.
Has anyone else noticed such a decline this year ?

cheshirebirder said:
They seem to have crashed round here this year.I've Visited 5 locations a number of times where they are regular in East Cheshire and haven't heard a single one! ( though a couple have been seen by others). I've never had to work hard to find one before.
The areas where i have them locally only appear to have males , singing away with no joy

They're short on numbers again this year. Two years ago they were plentiful enough in Teesdale. Last year and this year they're very hard to locate.

cheshirebirder said:

Finally caught up with a couple singing in the Goyt Valley on Tuesday in a spot I've been checking without success for over 2 weeks. So , did they arrive much later than normal ? They are still missing from other regular sites , though.

I think they're later this year. Previous years I've seen Wood Warbler from around 26th April in the same area as this one was.

Usually they're here well before the leaf growth has advanced too far making for eaier viewing. This year the leaf growth is well out and this was the first time I'd seen both them and Pied Flycatcher.

Previous years it's been 18th May for Spotted Flycatcher of which I saw three yesterday so they're about right for arriving back.

Maybe the cold start to Spring held the other migrants back a bit?

They arrived about the same time as usual up here in the far north of Scotland, singing at regular site 4th May. Saw first Spotted Flycatcher 9th May.

nirofo.

they must be arriving late this year had 5 singing males in a 3 mile walk yesterday,more than i have heard for at least 4 years

I have seen and heard quite a few Wood Warblers in the last couple of weeks on Cannock Chase particularly in the Seven springs area. Also found two in a small wooded area close to my home. Not seen them there before!!!

terryeyre said:
managed a few photos of a wood warbler today,a rare sight in these parts,are they rare all over the uk?
terry

Managed to connect with one today at the Devils Punchbowl,Surrey, almost same place in the Beech wood, nice to see him back. He put on a great little show displaying for all he was worth, a rare bird in these parts.

Cheers,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back