• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker (rear end), Cottbus, Germany (1 Viewer)

Henry_Flower

Germany
Hello,
Can anyone ID this woodpecker? Mostly oak woodland, on the outskirts of the town today. I had the impression of something small and fluttery in the canopy (so I'm hoping lesser spot?), and just got the one photo. Thanks!lsq_4S0A8058.jpg

Hello Henry,
what a pitty that this is the only picture.

Anway: the choice is between Middle and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

I agree with you:
  • your description of a fluttery bird is (certainly) better for a Lesser
  • yes, judging size.... But the difference between those two species should be evident during the observation which presumably lasted for more than just a few seconds (because of the fluttery impression) Right or wrong?
  • your bird seems to lack any yellowish or orange-cream hue on the rear flanks and the under-tail coverts seems to be whitish
And yes, texture of the underpart feathers and markings there seems good for a 1cy bird.
Therefore I agree with you: its a 1cy Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Hello Henry,
what a pitty that this is the only picture.

Anway: the choice is between Middle and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

I agree with you:
  • your description of a fluttery bird is (certainly) better for a Lesser
  • yes, judging size.... But the difference between those two species should be evident during the observation which presumably lasted for more than just a few seconds (because of the fluttery impression) Right or wrong?
  • your bird seems to lack any yellowish or orange-cream hue on the rear flanks and the under-tail coverts seems to be whitish
And yes, texture of the underpart feathers and markings there seems good for a 1cy bird.
Therefore I agree with you: its a 1cy Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Thanks for the detailed reply! Middle spots are fairly common in this particular forest, and lesser spots are occasionally seen. Observation was hampered by all those leaves -- it certainly seemed smaller than a middle spot, but that can always be wishful thinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back