• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (4 Viewers)

I make that 263 species added in 8 days from 'greater' Europe with Spain still to come compared to 250 species added in 84 days in the current record. that is one hell of a beating to take in your own backyard!

It’s not so much the difference in the numbers of species, but the ratio of the nº of species per day, Noah is beating the current record in all continents so far, but in Europe the difference is bigger despite the lesser gap in the numbers, 250 days in 84 days is fatal, Noah strategy of not stopping is clearly better, but more demanding also, he must have a remarkable stamina and drive to keep this pace.

I make that 263 species added in 8 days from 'greater' Europe with Spain still to come compared to 250 species added in 84 days in the current record. Despite obviously being affected to a degree by differing itineraries (with an impact perhaps on the Africa leg?), that is one hell of a beating to take in your own backyard!

All the best

Didn't the biggest twitch spend half their time visiting friends and family? Not sure it's a fair fight!

cheers, a

It’s not so much the difference in the numbers of species, but the ratio of the nº of species per day, Noah is beating the current record in all continents so far, but in Europe the difference is bigger despite the lesser gap in the numbers, 250 days in 84 days is fatal, Noah strategy of not stopping is clearly better, but more demanding also, he must have a remarkable stamina and drive to keep this pace.

Didn't the biggest twitch spend half their time visiting friends and family? *Not sure it's a fair fight!

cheers, a

I think he messed around a bit in the northern USA. Surely he could have got in more miles or a flying visit to Alaska? Norway looked lightweight as well? 3:)3:)3:)

I'm trying to keep a tally of percentage of various regional lists seen. His geographical coverage is a different level from this point on compared to the previous record! He does spend less time in aggregate in each of Africa (8 days) and Australasia (9 days) than the current record but he spends twice as much time in Asia (50 days).

Anyone got a link to the previous record's species list?

All the best

Last edited:
I've been following his blog since he started. Let me just say I'm very jealous of all the places he gets to go to! I've traveled very little as a birder, but hopefully that will change soon. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his posts and seeing what he ends up with.

I have no idea who will be guiding him through Spain... or even where he will be going, so we'll have to revert to watching his updates I'm afraid!

I'm missing our 'inside track' updates..... :-C

But we'll know soon enough. Presumably racking up the Spanish species by now having flown to Madrid....?

I presume the current record's species list is published somewhere?

All the best

I'm guessing the answer is yes (hopefully otherwise it makes by birding skills look pretty pitiful), but is Noah including heard only birds in his list?
James

I'm guessing the answer is yes (hopefully otherwise it makes by birding skills look pretty pitiful), but is Noah including heard only birds in his list?
James

James

I am sure that the answer is 'yes' and I believe that I have read that but currently cannot find that link. Certainly the current record included heard only birds (4,341 by Alan Davies & Ruth Miller) as did the previous record (3,600 odd by Jim Clements?).

All the best

I'm still getting 54 potential targets in Spain of those identified upthread:-

Citril Finch, Marbled Duck, White-headed Duck, Red-legged Partridge, Balearic Shearwater, Eurasian Bittern, European Honey Buzzard, Black Kite, Red Kite, Bearded Vulture, Egyptian Vulture, Cinereous Vulture, Spanish Imperial Eagle, Eleonora's Falcon, Water Rail, Spotted Crake, Red-knobbed Coot, Little Bustard, Great Bustard, Collared Pratincole, Ruff, Rose-ringed Parakeet, Great Spotted Cuckoo, European Nightjar, White-rumped Swift, Common Kingfisher, Dupont's Lark, Thekla Lark, European Stonechat, Black Wheatear, Common Grasshopper Warbler, Savi's Warbler, Western Olivaceous Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Moustached Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Dartford Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Western Orphean Warbler, Western Bonelli's Warbler, Iberian Chiffchaff, Common Firecrest, Southern Grey Shrike, Azure-winged Magpie, Cirl Bunting, Red-necked Nightjar, Bearded Reedling, Red Avadavat, Indian Silverbill, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Barbary Partridge, Baillon's Crake, Common Bulbul, Trumpeter Finch

He has four days including today before he is moving again. Hopefully that flight is from Madrid - there is one in the afternoon on 23 June non-stop to Ghana (?) - and he is just about to start that travelling around Spain to which Jon refers.

All the best

Last edited:
He is including heard only.

Just asking - has he already seen Red-necked Nightjar?

No. Red-necked Nightjar is not on the species list up to close of play yesterday.

How many of the targets are possible in his Spanish itinerary???

"We’ll spend the next four days in northern Spain, from Barcelona to Bilbao, cleaning up a few last European birds before I drop into Africa for the next two months."

He had a limited number of targets already. Maybe he is free-wheeling over the line from here? 3:)

All the best

No. Red-necked Nightjar is not on the species list up to close of play yesterday.

How many of the targets are possible in his Spanish itinerary???

"We’ll spend the next four days in northern Spain, from Barcelona to Bilbao, cleaning up a few last European birds.....

All the best

Apols Paul I just re-read your list above and can now see RNJ, thought you'd missed it.

Tom Gullick told us (in 1992!) that he recorded 160+ species on a day between the Pyrenees and the Ebro Delta, so plenty available. Delta, plains and mountains. Still surprised he's not off SW and including Monfrague and the Coto area.

Apols Paul I just re-read your list above and can now see RNJ, thought you'd missed it.

Tom Gullick told us (in 1992!) that he recorded 160+ species on a day between the Pyrenees and the Ebro Delta, so plenty available. Delta, plains and mountains. Still surprised he's not off SW and including Monfrague and the Coto area.

Not sure where he thought that he was going but he has gone SW unless my geography of these sites has gone badly awry:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

Down to 41 potential targets in Spain by my reckoning - though I missed off Curlew Sandpiper from the target list (which he has now got). Surely Monfrague/Extremadura tomorrow!

All the best

Boo, species 2986 Waldrapp is no longer wild in Turkey and usually not countable. ;)

Seriously, great trip and great thread :)

Still two clear days in Spain before the Ghana flight on 23rd. I reckon still 32 Spanish possibles:-

Citril Finch, Balearic Shearwater, Eurasian Bittern, European Honey Buzzard, Bearded Vulture, Egyptian Vulture, Spanish Imperial Eagle, Eleonora's Falcon, Spotted Crake, Red-knobbed Coot, Little Bustard, Ruff, Rose-ringed Parakeet, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Dupont's Lark, European Stonechat,Common Grasshopper Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Dartford Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Western Bonelli's Warbler, Iberian Chiffchaff, Common Firecrest, Southern Grey Shrike,Cirl Bunting, Red Avadavat, Indian Silverbill, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Barbary Partridge, Baillon's Crake, Common Bulbul

The African itinerary is 79 days covering 8 countries:-
Cameroon – 10 days
Ethiopia – 10 days
Ghana – 9 days
Kenya – 7 days
Madagascar – 10 days
Malawi – 12 days
South Africa – 18 days
Zambia – 3 days

I reckon there's a chance that the record may go before the end of the African leg.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back