• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would a bird go into rat bait box? (1 Viewer)

OzzieB

United Kingdom
Recently on two different occasions I saw a blackbird pecking at a rat bait sachet on our patio. Pest control guy who baited the box says a blackbird was seen going into the bait box and coming out with the sachet - something he said he has never heard of before. I don't think a bird would go into a dark place, where it cannot flap it's wings if it needs to get away quickly, then find a sachet 'around the corner' where they are placed in bait boxes and pull it out backwards. I suspect a neighbour is removing the sachets from the bait box as he moans about us feeding birds. Any comments would be appreciated.

Recently on two different occasions I saw a blackbird pecking at a rat bait sachet on our patio. Pest control guy who baited the box says a blackbird was seen going into the bait box and coming out with the sachet - something he said he has never heard of before. I don't think a bird would go into a dark place, where it cannot flap it's wings if it needs to get away quickly, then find a sachet 'around the corner' where they are placed in bait boxes and pull it out backwards. I suspect a neighbour is removing the sachets from the bait box as he moans about us feeding birds. Any comments would be appreciated.
Put a trailcam over it and if you spot your neighbour in your garden removing the bait sachets, let him know you have the evidence that he is committing an offence by deliberately misusing poisons and putting non-target species at risk. I should think that's a reasonably serious offence.

John

Plenty of birds are unafraid of dark, confined spaces. Some nest in holes in trees, or inside the walls of buildings, etc. Others will enter such spaces while searching for food - insects, mice, or eggs or nestlings. Crows like to eat nestlings.

Just seen blackbird enter bait box and remove sachet with bait retaining bar attached.
I had seen sachets on path by box and was watching for rat. Think bird might have been clearing it for nesting place.
Have now removed bait box.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back