• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yellow-legged gull with pink legs ? (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
the two attached pictures were taken in Cudillero, Asturias, northern Spain in the second half of august

the first one is i think fairly typical of a yellow-legged gull, and as far as i can tell so were all other adult gulls

so you would expect the juveniles to be yellow-legged gulls as well, except that the one in the second picture has pink legs

so this leaves two possibilities : either young yellow-legged gulls start off with pink legs which later on turn yellow, or for some reason all the juveniles i saw were herring gulls and the adults yellow-legged ones

both options seems somewhat surprising, so which of the two is it ?

Attachments

• Img_2469.jpg
    Img_2469.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Img_2474.jpg
    Img_2474.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 42
oh well, at least i wasn't seeing ghosts !
thanks for that info, i suspected that must be the case but wasn't sure whether it really happened like that

"young yellow-legged gulls start off with pink legs which later on turn yellow"

This is true of most species of gulls with yellow legs as adults, including Lesser Black-backed Gulls as well as "Yellow-legged" as in L. michahellis. I believe the yellow is a sign of breeding condition due to sex hormones and brighter yellow legs signal to other gulls higher fertility and thus a desirable mate - though I don't know where that leaves species like Herring Gulls and GBBs that have pink legs as adults! Though I know that LBBGs often have duller/paler legs outside the breeding season...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back