• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (3 Viewers)

redwing and fieldfares

Same around the Rother Valley and Pit-House West area must have been 50 plus Redwing and 30 plus Fieldfares also incredibly missed the Bittern at Pit-House West with 4 of us stood on the Chinese Bridge only two saw it whilst myself and one other birder missed it creep into the Reedbed which means i still have never seen one, also just missed out on the Cetti's Warbler by 20 min in the same reedbed for a year tick although i did see two Cetti's Warblers at the same time last year

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I am in Yorkshire.

My garden has been very busy since the snows came - I've been feeding on the ground as well as in my many feeders, and have had a flock of up to around 20 blackbirds, all trying to maintain a territory of about 1 square yard. Plenty of chaffinches, many of whom seem to prefer ground feeding to the feeders, as do quite a few of the house sparrows. Two family parties of woodpigeons visit as well, and regular goldfinches on the feeders and on evening primrose seed heads - a good reason to leave the garden untidy until spring. Today I had a surprise visitor, probably attracted by the blackbird flock - a solitary fieldfare.

Here are few photos, taken through the windows so not brilliant quality.

I've never had Fieldfares in the garden 'til this year - and now I've had quite a few. Also noticed many more blackbirds than usual where I live in Bramhope.

Had a close up Grey wag this pm in Golden Acre Park bobbing about in one of the few unfrozen mud patches

I've never had Fieldfares in the garden 'til this year - and now I've had quite a few.

I'm looking at a Fieldfare as a possibity for the 2011 calendar. That's a great pic, (better than anything I've been able to manage) but looks as though it's been taken thro' glass. If you get one taken from your canvas hide in the garden, please give me the nod :t:

I'm looking at a Fieldfare as a possibity for the 2011 calendar. That's a great pic, (better than anything I've been able to manage) but looks as though it's been taken thro' glass. If you get one taken from your canvas hide in the garden, please give me the nod :t:

Hi Michael - canvas hide, in snow!? Yes, it was taken through the window, and even then I managed to spook it, and thought it had gone for good.

Trip to Calder Wetlands today to take my spanky new Imagic BGA SE's for a spin... ferruginous duck was very easy to locate in the only unfrozen part of the lake behind the Swan and Cygnet, along with the usual stuff you'd expect. Sadly no sign of the RND, but there were two female red-breasted mergansers among the goosanders on the river, and plenty of nice stuff passing by including kingfishers, grey wags and great views of a low-flying sparrowhawk.

Pugney's was pretty much devoid of anything interesting, although water rail was heard, and others had seen the Cetti's and bittern before I arrived. A hunting fox on the ice at the nature reserve lake was nice to see.

Millfield lagoons were completely frozen as others have said, and as I was there I received a text (cheers Simmo!) alerting me to the drake smew on the Calder behind the sewage works. After a jog down we finally got on to it among a skittish group of goldeneye which kept taking off and moving down river, but we managed two good looks at the smew - one of my favourite birds which I didn't manage to catch up with in '09.

A great day - cheers to everyone who gave me tips on how to find my way round the area.

RE: Pete Mella's Smew ... Glad I could help mate !!

I,m thinking of taking a trip out to Rother Valley CP next Saturday and would be glad of any pointers as regards places to head for .. Thinking of 'this ere' Chinese bridge as I,m fancying a Cetti's for my year/life list but don't know where the bridge is having never been before. Is parking free or do I need some dosh ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks .

Had walk around Cold Hiendley, Wintersett, Anglers CP & Haw Wood today. Despite about 99% of water being frozen still managed 51 species. Highlights being:

siskin
lesser redpoll
yellowhammers
G S woodpecker
Kingfisher
Willow tits x2
Snipes x4

No sign of any redwings or fieldfares - a first for me on this sight at this time of the year, I think the weather has played a part in this and the 'berry' bushes were bare.

May try for the smew along the river tomorrow if Im not snowed in!!!

No sign of any redwings or fieldfares - a first for me on this sight at this time of the year, I think the weather has played a part in this and the 'berry' bushes were bare.

There were a handful of both species around Calder Wetlands today, but not many. I've noticed in their usual haunts near me I've not seen anywhere near as many as last year, and many of my fieldfare sightings have actually been single birds.

actually managed a Fieldfare on the back garden yesterday, never been known before although 1 mile away at Rother Valley and over on the back field there are always plenty of them so i guess one had to drop in one day

Back home now after 3 hours of hell, at first trying to get to work in Pontefract and then, having accepted that it wasn't on, trying to get back home. Able to do a fair bit of biordwatching from the stationary car and I was quite surprised at how many collared doves were about, I must have counted well over 50 birds in the 7 miles from Selby Road to my house. At the moment there are a couple of dozen starling in the oak in the garden looking somewhat forlorn.
Not seen any small stuff on the feeders yet, but there's time.

How do? For last few days theres been 35+ fieldfare + 1 redwing in + around garden, mainly in neighbours holly bush, which was covered in berries, probably not now! Never seen them in area before

Went on an "Extreme" birdwatching walk along the River Calder this afternoon - 6-8" of snow. Latched onto the RB Mergansers x2 straight away - not too far from the motorway bridge. Walked westwards and saw a Kingfisher near the lock keepers house - Ive been out birding 4 days out of 5 this year and seen one each time - magic! Crossed the river over the "horror film" pedestrian crossing near the pub and continued westwards - found the smew with the goldeneyes next to the sewage works, lovely bird, even through the snow. Called in at the "inlaws" and had some well earned scotch broth!!! Back home now and cream crackered -its hard work walking through that snow8-P

RE: Pete Mella's Smew ... Glad I could help mate !!

I,m thinking of taking a trip out to Rother Valley CP next Saturday and would be glad of any pointers as regards places to head for .. Thinking of 'this ere' Chinese bridge as I,m fancying a Cetti's for my year/life list but don't know where the bridge is having never been before. Is parking free or do I need some dosh ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks .

Don't know about chinese bridge but i think its £3 to park, you pay at a booth on the way in

getting some nice pictures Paul:t:

Cheers Rob
Was lucky enough to be off this afternoon.Flock is building,several more reed bunts today.Will post some more snowy pics but am working tonight.
Large flock of siskin/goldfinch/redpoll at Redhouse woods again,perhaps 400 in total.Oddly,yellowhammers in amongst them in deep woods !
Localpatch highlights today,as well as corn bunts etc as above were Buzzard,Goldeneye x2,and snipe x2.

Sent home from work today so rather than waste my time at home watching daytime telly I went out to Wharncliffe .. Mine were the first prints in about 8" of snow and I did about 8 miles in all .... Bloody hard work and managed to tag Red-Legged Partridge and a Coal Tit to the yearlist ..

Not convinced it was worth it .. but after a Chilli and a lager I feel better now .....

12 months gone

well my first 12 months as a member of rspb has been really great although being a wagon driver keeps my playtime to a minimum..i started taking my camera with me and although i am only a novice both with camera and birdwatching,,i have met some very nice genuine and helpfull people who have helped me with advice and tips throughout the year..although not brilliant i thought i'd post these few shots of birds and bugs that have thrilled me last year ...all the best to everyone on here and i hope that you wont mind me pesering for hints and tips throughout this new year ..

Attachments

• 25.5.09 080.jpg
    25.5.09 080.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
  • holiday 002.jpg
    holiday 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.4.09..old moor 037.jpg
    5.4.09..old moor 037.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 70
  • holiday 020.jpg
    holiday 020.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 57
  • holiday 029.jpg
    holiday 029.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
4 Belting pictures there Kikby Gannet, particularly like the dragonfly in pic 4.... very nice!

I'm ignoring picture 1 it's an avocet!!!!! The bird I hate!

well my first 12 months as a member of rspb has been really great although being a wagon driver keeps my playtime to a minimum..i started taking my camera with me and although i am only a novice both with camera and birdwatching,,i have met some very nice genuine and helpfull people who have helped me with advice and tips throughout the year..although not brilliant i thought i'd post these few shots of birds and bugs that have thrilled me last year ...all the best to everyone on here and i hope that you wont mind me pesering for hints and tips throughout this new year ..

Great series of pics. You obviously don't need any extra tuition, but if anyone in East Yorkshire has a digital SLR and wants tips on how to use it, a course should be starting next week (weather permitting), which may be able to help. More details on the blog.

Yellow-legged Gull reported yesterday among the LBBG's that hang round the tin roofs around Mecca Bingo on Penistone Road, Sheffield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back