• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (65 Viewers)

Is the White Stork at Fraisthorpe a genuine wild bird or an escapee. I was told that there are free flying birds at Harewood, could it be one of these?

Thanks Paul

I believe all the Harewood birds are ringed and this bird isn't, and that this is the same bird that has been seen in Scotland and Northumberland

The Harewood birds used to muddy the record books on white storks but apparently now the birds are ringed as nestlings. There may be odd unringed birds that derive from Harewood that shouldn't really be ticked but if you don't tell... I won't

Is the White Stork at Fraisthorpe a genuine wild bird or an escapee. I was told that there are free flying birds at Harewood, could it be one of these?

Thanks Paul

The free-flying Harewood birds (up to four together) were a mixture of ringed and unringed birds. I used to see them by the lake on most WeBS visits up to August 2008 but I haven't seen one there since then.
Perhaps people got fed up of reporting them, but there have been very few reports in the Leeds area in the last few years. If the Harewood birds have died out it will make acceptance of a genuine vagrant at the right time of year easier, but is mid-winter the right time for a genuine wild bird?

Thanks everyone for their help connected and had excellent views of the Wheater a charming little bird, also great to see a couple of Barn Owls as i don't see them regulary

Didn't get out birding this weekend except for a sneaky look for the ring billed gull yesterday afternoon. Not surprisingly, there was no sign of it but a kingfisher at the wier was nice!

Would anyone be able to give me directions to Orgreave Lakes, Pit House West and the Bittern Pool on Rother Valley please ? I have visited Rother Valley before but have no idea of the names of the different areas of the place.

I'm fancying a look for the bearded reedlings and the common scoter while I have a couple of days off work ... Assuming that they are still there of course ..

Thanks guys ...

hi dave, did you get a reply to your pit house west query? i cant find one on here.

i would also like directions to the site. i know its close to RVCP but little else. im off work this week and would like to see if the bittern are present. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Thanks to Birdflower & Brough Birder for the info the other day. Ended up having to do some jobs so just got out local - Pugneys/Calders. I got the hattrick of birds at Wintersett last weekend - good day, but missed out on the Cattle Egret a few weeks back - bad day, - by the time it had been relocated the day I went it was too late for me and about 8 others to get up and see it!

Out local again today, saw the 2 Scaup near Calder Wetlands, still 1 of the GN Divers around, I saw it on Calders today but keeps skipping between here & Pugneys. Nice to see some Meadow Pipits back on Calder Wetlands today. Pleasant afternoon on the bike until the rain came.

Cheers
John

ldv

One barn owl followed by one other. I get that one maybe two related owls, but then one SEO followed the barn owls wherever they went,any body ever seen out like that before?

Bitterns at Pit-house West

hi dave, did you get a reply to your pit house west query? i cant find one on here.

i would also like directions to the site. i know its close to RVCP but little else. im off work this week and would like to see if the bittern are present. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

See attachment. The Bitterns are generally seen at dusk (or dark) roosting in the western end of the Bittern Pool. View from any suitable vantage point that gives you a good view of the pool but not too close to the reedbed. Fishermen are a problem at this site and it may be coincidence, but two of my visits this month produced no Bitterns with fishermen present on both occasions.

Good luck

Mark

Attachments

• PHW.jpg
    PHW.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 139
caspian gull at orgreave

went to see caspian gull at orgreave lakes yesterday.me and 2 others birders located it stood on the spit.thanks to marks description of it on his piesandbirds blog I.D was confirmed when we saw it's injured left leg[saved us a bit of time:t:]
joking apart it was showing very well which helped me a lot as the task of searching through hundreds of gulls on a cold winters day is one i try to avoid so thanks again mark
yours manorblade [nigel]

I found several flocks of waxwings in the Roundhay/Moortown area last year, there were also birds in Beeston and Hunslet. I managed to miss the flock in my garden though, my wife took great delight in telling me about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back