• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (66 Viewers)

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping get across this weekend... hopefully there will be a few birds moving about with the changing weather but not too fussy so long as it doesn't pee it down constantly.

Female Lesser Pecker in Beeley Woods this arvo B :)

Off to the S Yorks derby at Hillsborough tonight, come on you Owls! Hopefully round off what has so far been an excellent day :D

Female Lesser Pecker in Beeley Woods this arvo B :)

Off to the S Yorks derby at Hillsborough tonight, come on you Owls! Hopefully round off what has so far been an excellent day :D

Good work, I've had lesser pecker there, on Middlewood Road when the road was closed due to flood damage. Where abouts in the woods did you see it? I'll be having a walk up there next weekend probably (it's a good place to mop up green woodpecker too...).

You've also reminded me to avoid the traffic in Hillsborough tonight ;)

Last edited:
Had a look round Welton Waters this afternoon. Drake Red-crested Pochard was still on Brough Angling Complex, but the owners have blockaded the gate near the river bank so could only view through the trees which will be a bugger in a few weeks. Also have planted the new banking along Common La.
Drake Smew and Great Northern Diver still on watersports pit.
The Bewick's still near N.Frodingham but reported as viewable from Langholme Hill Fisheries pond.3. Don't whether they're visible from the usual site or how acessable the
above is. Will check later this week.
From the N.Cave log you'll can see I was tempted back y'day Couldn't refind the Teal but did have a Ringed Plover.
With the Pacific Divers seen in Wales and off Scillies has anyone checked whether the Yorkshire bird is back?

Last edited:
Any luck with these, Jim?

No, without knowing where to look, going to Wentworth seemed pointless so went to Clumber this morning with no luck. Seems they clear off early morning when the crowds arrive, probably roosting in the evergreens in the pleasure grounds. It got far too busy for me by midday so cleared off and had some muddy walks near Goole.

No, without knowing where to look, going to Wentworth seemed pointless so went to Clumber this morning with no luck. Seems they clear off early morning when the crowds arrive, probably roosting in the evergreens in the pleasure grounds. It got far too busy for me by midday so cleared off and had some muddy walks near Goole.

Yeah, I had the same problem the other week. Made the mistake of going to Lound before Clumber, meaning the park was filling up with people by the time I got there. Managed to dip everything interesting at Lound too just to rub it in!

Any luck with these, Jim?

I went on Sunday to Wentworth with are lass but didnt get there until 2pm and so I wasnt prepared to pay £9 (£4.50 each to get into the gardens) with only a few hours of light left. We had a walk around the parkland (parking normally £3 but you can get round this by parking near the pub if there is a space, its changed since I was last there so be careful of any clamping signs). We parked in the proper car park as it was free for the day, a one off I think).

Anyhow, in the parkland (free) you can get fairly close to the castle folly but not close enough to really give yourself a decent chance of seeing the Hawfinchs. I suppose paying £4.50 is cheaper than travelling to Clumber etc. We spotted about 5 crossbills in the same vicinity but no Hawfinch. I would suggest getting there early this week due to school hols.

I went on Sunday to Wentworth with are lass but didnt get there until 2pm and so I wasnt prepared to pay £9 (£4.50 each to get into the gardens) with only a few hours of light left. We had a walk around the parkland (parking normally £3 but you can get round this by parking near the pub if there is a space, its changed since I was last there so be careful of any clamping signs). We parked in the proper car park as it was free for the day, a one off I think).

Anyhow, in the parkland (free) you can get fairly close to the castle folly but not close enough to really give yourself a decent chance of seeing the Hawfinchs. I suppose paying £4.50 is cheaper than travelling to Clumber etc. We spotted about 5 crossbills in the same vicinity but no Hawfinch. I would suggest getting there early this week due to school hols.

Cheers for that... crossbill would be a good enough result, so I may have a look down there soon.

Sneaked off from work today at 3pm and made a mad dash to nosterfield to dip the long tailed duck again. Got the red necked grebe on Kiln lake in the corner nearest the road by viewing through the hedge. Went to the nature reserve to get cracking views of a juv. peregrine sending the birds up on the lake.

Mark.

Last edited:
The Bewick's still near N.Frodingham but reported as viewable from Langholme Hill Fisheries pond.3. Don't whether they're visible from the usual site or how acessable the
above is. Will check later this week.

Would be grateful for any updates, I am heading up to my parents on Friday afternoon hopefully via Tophill and N. Frodingham - would be good to know in advance if I need to head somewhere slightly differently.

Never tried birding with a 11 month old in and wife in the car - not sure how patient they are both going to be

Mal Skelton

Good work, I've had lesser pecker there, on Middlewood Road when the road was closed due to flood damage. Where abouts in the woods did you see it? I'll be having a walk up there next weekend probably (it's a good place to mop up green woodpecker too...).

You've also reminded me to avoid the traffic in Hillsborough tonight ;)

It was in the North East corner of the woods, right up the hill. Drew my attention to it by calling, but it just wouldnt sit still, right in the top of the trees but completely unmistakeable. Still made my day as it was a first for me :)
Was towards the end of my walk which hadnt produced any of the woodpeckers I was hoping for (until then!). Got Greater Spotted on the way back right by the factory. No sight or sound of any Greens though, but yes I have heard them there before in the summer.

As for the S Yorks derby, the less said about the Owls perfromance the better! :-C

Heard the sad news that one of the birds has been found dead today - ringed at Bingley Moor a few years back. Does anyone know if it was natural causes? Im hoping its not the local idiots.....
Hi was at fairburn doing some vol work when bird was reported. Darren centre manager went to retrieve bird. Saw and held the beauty. It was everso light and looked like it had a broken wing. Wonder if the cold weather has made it difficult for them to find food? No foul play involved thankfully.
Helen

As for the S Yorks derby, the less said about the Owls perfromance the better! :-C[/QUOTE]

The Owls have had their wings clipped but the Rovers have found theirs!
Had a male Goosander in flight on my way home tonight near B&Q in Rotherham, looked to have been on the canal.

PHP:
Never tried birding with a 11 month old in and wife in the car - not sure how patient they are both going to be

Mal Skelton[/QUOTE

reckon you should get about 45 seconds uninterupted bliss Mal before one or both kicks off, (bitter experience tou know)
Best of luck mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back