• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (7 Viewers)

whatbird.com suggests; A group of house sparrows are collectively known as a "blight", "humiliation", and "subdivision" of sparrows. And; A group of [tree] sparrows has many collective nouns, including a "crew", "flutter", "meinie", "quarrel", and "ubiquity" of sparrows.

Are they just suggestions Ken or definitive collectives.....?

Reminds me of some years back at t'pit, we were discussing a collective noun for Deputies (they are the men in charge of safety) someone suggested, a "Thicket" of Deputies........which gives an idea of the esteem they were held in..:-O
Joe

Had a reasonable day at Fairburn today.
had Hobby, 1 Black-t Godwit, Little Ringed Plover, reeling Grasshopper Warbler, Willow Tit, Lesser Whitethroat, male Marsh Harrier in Lin Dike area. On the main reserve 2 Avocet, 2 Garden Warbler, Cuckoo from Pickup Hide and usual stuff.
Also, at 3pm had a medium-large raptor east over Pickup Hide which looked good for male goshawk, improbable as that may be at fairburn in june: am just kicking myself that I didn't absolutely nail out as I was faffing about trying to get it in the scope when I should probably have stuck with bins.

found this in my garden on the 29th may :t:

Know just how you feel...I get a lot of pigeons in my garden...they don't half hoover up the seed..flipping nuisance here in Fev as well..............
Where's that Peregrine.......................? :-O

Seriously though....heck of a garden tick and pics
Joe

Know just how you feel...I get a lot of pigeons in my garden...they don't half hoover up the seed..flipping nuisance here in Fev as well..............
Where's that Peregrine.......................? :-O

Seriously though....heck of a garden tick and pics
Joe

thanks joe,it certainly suprised me,especially to see it in the gardenB :)

Weekend at Wensleydale/Swaledale.

Arrived at The Green Dragon Pub,Hardraw Falls,Hawes early Saturday morning.Parked up and walked up to Great Shunner Fell,back through Cotterdale and return to Hardraw.Saw loads of birds including Red Grouse,Buzzard,Redstart,Grey partridge,Wheatear,Nuthatch and Dipper. Walked to Hawes, Sand and House Martin,Stock Dove etc.
Heard very very close Tawnies through the night and woken up by two young families of birds outside my tent,a brood of Redstarts and Nuthatches.Never enjoyed a better Sunday morning cup of tea and bacon sandwich,the birds stayed for 3/4 hour or so,superb views.Word on The Green Dragon,£8 a night,including trip to The Falls,very clean toilets and showers included,excellent beer in The Pub,expensive,£3.50 a real ale,but expected at a remote sight.Highly recommend it.
Walked up to the falls spotted Dipper,Grey Wagtail,Tree Creeper and more Redstarts.
Drove to Semer Water and parked up at Stalling Busk,did the circular route,to Marsett,Countersett,Semer Water Bridge and back along the Lake to Stalling Busk.Saw Oiks,Snipe,Redstart,Widgeon,Stock Dove,Grey Partridge,Spotted Flycatcher amongst other things.
After a quick lunch moved on to Reeth,walked the route to Cuckoo Hill,Castle Farm and back down to the village.Excellent walk,spotted Dipper,Kingfisher,Stonechat,Nuthatch family,Pied Flycatcher,Spottted Flycatcher,GSW and Green Woodpecker.
Superb weekend and a lovely area. :t:

Last edited:
York weekend

Nothing spectacular to report but despite windy overcast weather had cuckoo at Skipwith Common saturday , as well as a marsh Harrier viewed from Ferry Boat Inn, Thorganby.

At Redhouse , seems breeding season going well and finally managed a snap of Lesser Whitethroat this evening. Think the Yellow wag might be feeding young??

Attachments

• buzzard3.jpg
    buzzard3.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 49
  • lesserwhitethroat1.jpg
    lesserwhitethroat1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 57
  • yellowwagtail8.jpg
    yellowwagtail8.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 33
  • swallow1.jpg
    swallow1.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 39
I had a Quail calling at Orgreave Lakes last Saturday, and there's been a couple of birds reported near me in NW Sheffield over the last few nights, a few further afield in South Yorkshire, and a smattering not far away in W Yorks and Derbys.

Has anyone else noted an increased number this year?

Managed to find three different calling birds on Friday night by cycling around the lanes in the still/warm conditions (~2.5hrs). One in spring barley and two in wheat. Tried again at two of the sites on Saturday when it was colder and breezy, but not a peep.

Managed to find three different calling birds on Friday night by cycling around the lanes in the still/warm conditions (~2.5hrs). One in spring barley and two in wheat. Tried again at two of the sites on Saturday when it was colder and breezy, but not a peep.

I tried for Quail on Thursday pm last week but failed. Lots of Yellow Wagtails and Tree Sparrows though.

Spurn on Twitter

For those of you birding at spurn and not already following spurn birds on Twitter, I've noticed during the last week I have received alerts from twitter quicker than Birdguides. A classic example was for the Marsh Warblers where the info was tweeted before birdguides was up and running.

Thumbs up to the person getting this news out.

Good trip to Strid woods today,managed Wood Warbler which has been a bogey for a while for us,good numbers of Blackcap,Willow Warblers and Coal tits feeding young as well as Nuthatch and Treecreeper with young.There was very little on river but did get Grey Wag and Dipper only raptor showing was a single Buzzard.

Arrived at The Green Dragon Pub,Hardraw Falls,Hawes early Saturday morning.Parked up and walked up to Great Shunner Fell,back through Cotterdale and return to Hardraw.Saw loads of birds including Red Grouse,Buzzard,Redstart,Grey partridge,Wheatear,Nuthatch and Dipper. Walked to Hawes, Sand and House Martin,Stock Dove etc.
Heard very very close Tawnies through the night and woken up by two young families of birds outside my tent,a brood of Redstarts and Nuthatches.Never enjoyed a better Sunday morning cup of tea and bacon sandwich,the birds stayed for 3/4 hour or so,superb views.Word on The Green Dragon,£8 a night,including trip to The Falls,very clean toilets and showers included,excellent beer in The Pub,expensive,£3.50 a real ale,but expected at a remote sight.Highly recommend it.
Walked up to the falls spotted Dipper,Grey Wagtail,Tree Creeper and more Redstarts.
Drove to Semer Water and parked up at Stalling Busk,did the circular route,to Marsett,Countersett,Semer Water Bridge and back along the Lake to Stalling Busk.Saw Oiks,Snipe,Redstart,Widgeon,Stock Dove,Grey Partridge,Spotted Flycatcher amongst other things.
After a quick lunch moved on to Reeth,walked the route to Cuckoo Hill,Castle Farm and back down to the village.Excellent walk,spotted Dipper,Kingfisher,Stonechat,Nuthatch family,Pied Flycatcher,Spottted Flycatcher,GSW and Green Woodpecker.
Superb weekend and a lovely area. :t:

Little baffled as to no comments ? Such,a brilliant area with no coverage on Yorkshire Forum,posted on Durham Forum and had an open comment plus two PMs about exactly where I was.

Just noticed your post Andy. That area of Yorkshire is a bit far off for most of the county, plus you can get the same spread of birds without having to travel that far which is more than likely why it is little birded by the locals.
Yes you had a good day but nothing out of the ordinary for the county.

I expect like me most Tykes who are going to travel that far for a days birding would choose to make the journey to Spurn where the mix of birds is going to be so much larger.

Little baffled as to no comments ? Such,a brilliant area with no coverage on Yorkshire Forum,posted on Durham Forum and had an open comment plus two PMs about exactly where I was.

owls

Received a tip about some young owls yesterday,on edge of my patch.Took a stroll up and ended up having best evenings birding in memory! Nothing rare, just the views and abundance of birds like whitethroat/swift etc was astonishing!

Attachments

• barnowl7.jpg
    barnowl7.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 77
  • barnowl8.jpg
    barnowl8.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 71
  • barnowl9.jpg
    barnowl9.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 96
  • king4.jpg
    king4.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 69
  • king5.jpg
    king5.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 73
owls2

...and the rest , for now!

Attachments

• swift1.jpg
    swift1.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 71
  • tawnyowl3.jpg
    tawnyowl3.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 56
  • tawnyowl4.jpg
    tawnyowl4.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 71
  • tawnyowl5.jpg
    tawnyowl5.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 60
Just noticed your post Andy. That area of Yorkshire is a bit far off for most of the county, plus you can get the same spread of birds without having to travel that far which is more than likely why it is little birded by the locals.
Yes you had a good day but nothing out of the ordinary for the county.

I expect like me most Tykes who are going to travel that far for a days birding would choose to make the journey to Spurn where the mix of birds is going to be so much larger.

Ok understand Keith,gorgeous area though and well worth a visit now and then.
Cheers
Andy K

Keith's right, Andy. It's because Yorkshire is huge and the Dales have poor transport links. Spurn Point to anywhere in the western or northern dales is well over three hours drive. Holyhead is nearer in terms of driving time.

For the vast majority of the Yorkshire population, living in urban South and West Yorkshire, the Northern Dales are a good couple of hours away, even going round the long and fast ways via A1 etc. So they are actually more accessible to Durham residents, or even Northumberland and Cumbria residents, than they are to most posters living along the M62 and M1.

There's a lot of posts on here about Bolton Abbey, and others about the Washburn, Timble, or the moors above Halifax, for example, because they are the nearest spots to most with that habitat and mix of birds.

I love getting up to the northern dales, where birds like Ring Ouzel, Whinchat etc. get easier than hereabouts, but for the same cost and time you can be at any number of coastal spots further away via the Motorway network.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back