• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Received a tip about some young owls yesterday,on edge of my patch.Took a stroll up and ended up having best evenings birding in memory! Nothing rare, just the views and abundance of birds like whitethroat/swift etc was astonishing!

I'm loving the Barn Owl / screaming Swift combo :t:

Well, I've just been for a damp stroll round the fields-nothing out of the ordinary apart from a Quail. I think I surprised it, because it was calling very close by-and VERY LOUD!

Little baffled as to no comments ? Such,a brilliant area with no coverage on Yorkshire Forum,posted on Durham Forum and had an open comment plus two PMs about exactly where I was.
Why? just a normal days birding in the dales for us as it is the top of our dale.We would not expect to pay £3.50 a pint though,local would be voting with their feet and be away

Summer Hols

Hi All

Its that time of year again and I am off on my summer hol's in a couple of weeks, this year I am staying in your neck of the woods near Pickering.

I know of Bempton Cliffs which I plan on visiting, but are there any other sites I should be considering paying a visit to while in the area.

Cheers

Tim.

Wykeham raptor view point is always worth a look (check Forestry Commission web for location) but if you want the open moor experience plenty of good spots in the North York Moors National Park,the Hawk and Owl Trust reserve on Fylingdales is usually interesting

Lower Derwent Peregrine

Hi

A colleague had a juvenile Peregrine with down on its head still (not much, though) at the weekend, on top of her conservatory, in East Cottingworth, at the edge of Wheldrake Ings. It was well photographed, but I have not asked for permission to show the photo.

To me, this seemed odd. Where would it have come from? How early do they lose the down on the head...etc. How common are Peregrines at this time of year in the valley (obviously, I have seen plenty in the winter, here)?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ian

Hi All,

First post on here. As a complete novice in these things, can anyone advise on somewhere within striking distance of York where we might see a Kingfisher?

Hoping to take my mother out in the car at the weekend, and she's always wanted to see one.

Thanks for any advice,
Geoff

Why? just a normal days birding in the dales for us as it is the top of our dale.We would not expect to pay £3.50 a pint though,local would be voting with their feet and be away

Think you have miss understood my post,up here in Durham,around Sunderland etc we report on daily outings,this may seem mundane to some but the feedback we regularly get is that new starters and novices etc greatly welcome and enjoy the posts.
Yes I wouldnt normally pay £3.50 for a pint but there were plenty of Yorkshire folk camping there that did ! Likewise in Hawes where the bikers were very well represented.

Kingfishers

The bridge over the River Derwent at Buttercrambe, near Stamford Bridge, is a good spot, though not somewhere which you can view from the car. Anywhere around the Derwent can be good, to be honest. Stamford Bridge itself is pretty reliable.

Ian

Dipper in mirfield

Ah great - a Yorkshire thread! Lived in Queensbury (up the hill from Bradford) for 12 years until a couple of years ago and did a lot of birding around there. Some fantastic habitat and great diversity of birds. Look forward to hearing about what's about in some of my old haunts. Hope someone's checking out the wader breeding up in the Dales!

Edit: Hang on a mo! are you intending to cover all four Ridings in one thread? Jeez - that's going to get big and busy. Must be hundreds of BF'ers up there with postings to make. Everything from coastlines (cliffs, estuaries and beaches), loads of reservoirs, moorland, rivers, woods and mountains! Blimey, I though 'Backwater Birding' was busy (and gripping) and that's just Seaton! Can't wait!

Try this one for a twitch!!

I took this picture on the calder in Mirfield by the weir on Newgate two days ago., This is a young dipper. Anyone else seen them here??

Regards to all

Attachments

• best young dipper june 2011.jpg
    best young dipper june 2011.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 71
Hi All,

First post on here. As a complete novice in these things, can anyone advise on somewhere within striking distance of York where we might see a Kingfisher?

Hoping to take my mother out in the car at the weekend, and she's always wanted to see one.

Thanks for any advice,
Geoff

check my post from last night;anywhere on river ouse is possible, certainly to north of York, but I have no 'regular' sight. Tophill low , a few miles away admittedly ,was brilliant last year, not sure whats happening this.But the views were prolonged and spectacular!!

Think you have miss understood my post,up here in Durham,around Sunderland etc we report on daily outings,this may seem mundane to some but the feedback we regularly get is that new starters and novices etc greatly welcome and enjoy the posts.
Yes I wouldnt normally pay £3.50 for a pint but there were plenty of Yorkshire folk camping there that did ! Likewise in Hawes where the bikers were very well represented.
Get your point Andy I think maybe we have a number of smaller sites where we catch up on trips out and mayde bigger stuff goes on BF.
I reckon they must have two price lists in some of the dales pubs the locals I walk and bird with would go dry rather than those prices,£3.50 seems a ripoff to us just out of the tripper area.

Get your point Andy I think maybe we have a number of smaller sites where we catch up on trips out and mayde bigger stuff goes on BF.
I reckon they must have two price lists in some of the dales pubs the locals I walk and bird with would go dry rather than those prices,£3.50 seems a ripoff to us just out of the tripper area.

Cheers Pete,

Just love the scenery too, you may well have to send me a PM about better beer prices off the beaten track, I forgot to add that the price for a pint of Old Peculiar was 3.50 in Reeth too !
Planning to go to Tan Hill this weekend,walking in and around Langthwaite Saturday,looking for Ring Ouzel and Black Grouse,Desperados playing (Eagles Tribute Band on in the evening) and then walk from Tan Hill Sunday.

Mayhem up here at Hartlepool Headland with the White Throated Robin. 300 people here at one point ,some from London,Bristol and Cardiff ! Only 3rd siting ever of the bird, I am not a twitcher as such but when something like this is 30 minutes from your home you have to go !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71e5kdMjVGg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back