• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

My first Yellow-legged Gull was the long-stayer at Tees Barrage. It was south of the river but the river had been rerouted and thus the usual haunt was Durham. We wandered up to Portrack as a group of 10 birders or so and the bird perched just beyond mid river to the south opposite Portrack Marsh. Which is the very edge of Yorkshire - a lot of studying of maps led to a Yorkshire tick.

Surprise

Got a nice surprise this aft. at Ederthorpe Flash with this young feller.......shouldn't it be on it's way at this time....?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 104
According to BWPi there have been a small number of overwintering cuckoos recorded. Now that is something I'd love to see, a cuckoo on Christmas Day, beats a chuffing partridge in a pear tree.

According to BWPi there have been a small number of overwintering cuckoos recorded. Now that is something I'd love to see, a cuckoo on Christmas Day, beats a chuffing partridge in a pear tree.

Oh dear, I can no longer tell my students that the Cuckoo they heard in February was actually a Collared Dove!

Course you can Michael. They won't have a copy of BWPi to refer to. We are looking at a handful of records over decades.. hardly a regular occurrence.

Glad I moved. Bloody Collared Dove would sit on the chimney about 6 feet from my bed and woke me every morning with it's incessant cukkoo-cukkoo-cuk

That's probably one for the Daily Snail readers to add to list of foreign invaders

So that's what they were doing in the Pear tree...........:-O

On a completely (nearly) different subject....I watched a small Heron on Harry Hill's YBF on TV...it was fascinating ...it took some pieces of bread left on a jetty, dropped them in the water...waited for the fish to nibble, then caught one.......... absolutely fascinating..!!

It must have gone viral Joe because I saw it here. The solution to the risk/reward equation is impressive. 'Oo, I've got a piece of bread. Tasty snack. But there's some juicy fish...'

It must have gone viral Joe because I saw it here. The solution to the risk/reward equation is impressive. 'Oo, I've got a piece of bread. Tasty snack. But there's some juicy fish...'

Not the same one Ken but equally fascinating, the filming wasn't as good/clear but it looked like a Green heron i.e. small (it was too dark on film to tell). It showed the bird bringing the bread, that had been left on the top of a jetty, down to the water and dropping the pieces into the water and just waiting, not for long, and catching a fish as in that film.....just makes you wonder when and where it began and if it (the skill) is handed down to the "kids".
Joe....:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back