• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

I'm convinced now the picture really is a Lesser. Interesting though as to what made it stand out. Is it a particularly big individual (it does happen)?

I am no bird expert by any means but enjoy photographing them. To me it looked just like the usual commons in my garden. I had heard the same "discussion" before so opted for common. No decent shots with other birds but does this help?. It was taken right outside the visitor centre in the nature garden feeding station.

Denis.

Attachments

• 1D3_0460.jpg
    1D3_0460.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I am no bird expert by any means but enjoy photographing them. To me it looked just like the usual commons in my garden. I had heard the same "discussion" before so opted for common. No decent shots with other birds but does this help?. It was taken right outside the visitor centre in the nature garden feeding station.

Denis.

Denis, dangerous use of the term "commons". The ones in your garden will be Lesser Redpolls - our British redpoll. Common/Mealy redpoll is the more unusual visitor. The potential northern bird that was being discussed is a race of Common. Lesser is a separate species.

Yep Denis, sorry a confusion of names only, your identification is correct! The picture is of a feather perfect Lesser (as Lawts says, confusingly its the commoner one in Britain, Common is the commoner one in world terms).

I am the friend of Joes. The bird was photographed on Budby common where Parrot Crossbills have been reported, there where several in the cone tree feeding, male and female, by no means did they all or any have a bill of this size, in fact some appeared to be no larger than Common, I assume that they will mix, but as stated they where not feeding in a Larch tree so maybe not. I have seen several pictures presented by others to me, which claim to be Parrot but bill appears to be quite small. I always prefer to be sure before the box is ticked or as my friends say you want the all you can eat view.

Thanks

Mark.:eat:

Hi Mark,

Your pic is certainly Parrot Crossbill on structure and bill size/shape.

For your reference are attatched 2 pics of Parrot Crossbill from Budby (pics 1& 2) and the 3rd pic of a Common crossbill from Swilly last year. I hope this helps.

Dave

Attachments

• pxbill2.jpg
    pxbill2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 71
  • pxbill.jpg
    pxbill.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 73
  • crossbill2.jpg
    crossbill2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 86
Just to be clear: there were two redpolls visiting the VC feeders at Fairburn yesterday. One was clearly lesser (presumably the one pictured). The other appeared to be a common but I for one couldn't persuade myself it was more than bog standard. Which doesn't mean it might not have been, of course!

Hi Mark,

Your pic is certainly Parrot Crossbill on structure and bill size/shape.

For your reference are attatched 2 pics of Parrot Crossbill from Budby (pics 1& 2) and the 3rd pic of a Common crossbill from Swilly last year. I hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the photo examples, it is quite clear to see the difference in the bill and neck/head proportions between the two species, I guess this has evolved over time to allow feeding on the tougher food source of pine cones.

Mark.

Thanks Camper. The bill size thing is a bit of misnomer; there is considerable age, sex, and individual variation. Without being able to measure the bill other things are more important; bill structure, head/body size ratio , and call. Currently the Budby flock do not appear to be mixing with Commons, I suspect all the birds noted here were actually Parrots. The tree species being used is also not definitive; Commons will feed on pine at times. Mixed sex flocks of Commons should be becoming less frequent by now as they in their breeding season, unlike Parrots which breed later.

Hi Melodius

Thanks for the mass of good info, as usual it's a case of putting together all the pieces of the jigsaw, and hopefully being able to see the bird for the trees.

Thanks

Mark.

Just to be clear: there were two redpolls visiting the VC feeders at Fairburn yesterday. One was clearly lesser (presumably the one pictured). The other appeared to be a common but I for one couldn't persuade myself it was more than bog standard. Which doesn't mean it might not have been, of course!

Hiya. Any idea if the other one got photographed and, if so, could a photograph be traced and posted?

A few shots of "polls"

Attachments

• 120.JPG
    120.JPG
    635.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    700.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    574 KB · Views: 38
  • 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    648.5 KB · Views: 32
Damp walk around Strid Wood today, so much water coming down the river. No dippers but did find a flock of 20 or so mandarins just below the Strid itself and a very nice flock of between 50 &100 brambling feeding in the leaf litter just north of the Cavendish Pavilion just as you enter the Wood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back