• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (7 Viewers)

A friend of a friend in Leeds had a bird in his garden(I assume today) that looked like a waxing, the size of a magpie and had Orange on it.

Hoopoe?

My friend who's friend saw it is trying to find out from him

Hi - I've just had a call from The One Show wanting to know whether I've seen any mistle thrush nests in traffic lights this year. They want to do a piece on one. I'm not in the city centre much these days so I haven't come across one yet. Have any of you seen one this year? I have the contact details.

On the possible Hoopoe,

The friend of the friend said it looked similar to one. He lives in Batley. Again he knows a lot of species like jays and waxwings but not a good enough answer to think a Hoopoe was the most likely species.

On the possible Hoopoe,

The friend of the friend said it looked similar to one. He lives in Batley. Again he knows a lot of species like jays and waxwings but not a good enough answer to think a Hoopoe was the most likely species.

Sorry to sound sceptical but hoopoes are pretty unique in appearance and 'orange' & 'looks like a waxwing' would not be the first things that springs to mind when thinking of them. The size thing can be ignored unless there was a magpie in close proximity to the bird, size is notoriously difficult to judge in isolation.
Much as I would like it to be a hoopoe I think your friend's friend is mistaken.

Hi - I've just had a call from The One Show wanting to know whether I've seen any mistle thrush nests in traffic lights this year. They want to do a piece on one. I'm not in the city centre much these days so I haven't come across one yet. Have any of you seen one this year? I have the contact details.

Hi Linda. Had the same call last week. I checked the site where the Sheffield traffic light pair nested last year but no sign of any activity. A slightly tardy pair may not have build yet though; I was watching Mistle Thrush getting on with building (in a tree) last week.

Was up on a area of the NY Moors nest recording for the BTO and seen not 1 but 2 pairs of Ring Ouzels', my fellow nest recorder thought he had seen a pair in the exact location, now I know from the breeding bird atlas there is confirmed breeding records but not many, will definitely take another look in a week or so, also lots of breeding waders on eggs. Lapwing and Curlew every were but only seen 1 pair of Golden Plover, lots of Snipe displaying and 2 breeds of Owl species found on the moor, Merlinx1, and a pair of Buzzards displaying in nesting wood, plus lots of Willow Warbler who were coming within feet of us, also found a Slow Worm and Common Lizard both which had lost there tails to predators. Excellent days birding/nest recording.

Damian

Hi Linda. Had the same call last week. I checked the site where the Sheffield traffic light pair nested last year but no sign of any activity. A slightly tardy pair may not have build yet though; I was watching Mistle Thrush getting on with building (in a tree) last week.

I'm in Leeds city centre later in the week so I'll have a look around in some likely places where I hear them singing

A Wheatear, 2 Yellow Wagtails & 2-3 Otters at Stavely Nature Reserve yesterday. The otters were on land and gave a good show

Visited Staveley this morning and saw the Wheatear on a grassy bank close to the new hide. This is not normal Wheatear terrain and I suspect that the bird was in transit. It is a very large bird and it may be a Greenland varient. Buff on the breast does not extend down onto the belly which does raise a question but I repeat this is a large bird.

Graeme

Last edited:

You could give them Paul Hobson's details to see if he knows - he's a photographer who won awards for his shots of that very thing... http://www.paulhobson.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back