• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (8 Viewers)

I think many of the Pugney/Calder Wetlands regulars are on twitter (Im not) so don't know if any of them will see this or whether this will be of interest to regular visitors to this forum, but I called in at Pugneys/Calders today between 4-6pm and had the following new ones for the year:

Common Sandpipers 2 - NR Lake
Cuckoo - 1 - flew across NR lake heading towards castle - not relocated
Whitethroat - 1 - back of Pugneys by beck
Sedge Warblers - both sites
Grasshopper Warbler - 1 - Calder Wetlands by path near river/drain channel reeling away in the rain!!

An enjoyable couple of hours with place virtually to myself.

I was at St Aidan's this am trying to find the gropper my mate photographed on Wednesday, no joy in the short time before work. Wish it was easy to get across to Pugneys on my commute but North Leeds to Castleford doesn't really allow for an easy detour.

I heard two while there yesterday, not far from the dragline. Neither sang for long and the strengthening wind kept the reeling sporadic and birds hidden. Really frustrating, also kept an eye out for the first whinchats but no joy. They turned up today, it was like last weekend all over again but with ring ouzel last time round.

I'm heading to East Yorkshire on Thursday as I've always wanted to visit Bempton. I'm keen to maximise my trip up from the midlands and wondered if the locals had any decent tips of best places or walk or other good places local.

Hornsea Mere - Are Black-necked Grebe resident there ?

Many thanks in advance.

Black Necked Grebe has been seen occasionally at Hornsea Neil, Slavonian Grebe there today and aRed Necked as well yesterday that could still be there. Have a great trip. Stuart

I'm heading to East Yorkshire on Thursday as I've always wanted to visit Bempton. I'm keen to maximise my trip up from the midlands and wondered if the locals had any decent tips of best places or walk or other good places local.

Many thanks in advance.

If you're coming up the way I think you're going to, you'll be virtually passing Thorne and Hatfield Moors, Potteric Carr and Tophill Low - all are worth a quick look depending how much time you have and if you want to do any birding inland (but don't aim to do more than one as they're big sites). Flamborough Head and Filey Brigg/Dams are obvious choices if you want to spend your entire day coastal.

Blacktoft Sand's a bit of a long detour, but may be worth a look while you're in this neck of the woods as they have a pair of (well-advertised and protected by RSPB, so we're allowed to talk about...) Montagu's Harriers at the moment among other stuff.

Are there any particular species you're after?

I was at St Aidan's this am trying to find the gropper my mate photographed on Wednesday, no joy in the short time before work. Wish it was easy to get across to Pugneys on my commute but North Leeds to Castleford doesn't really allow for an easy detour.

Hi Keith - not any easier for you to get to but I've had a couple singing at Mickletown Ings just off the path down Pit Lane

Many thanks in advance.

How long are you up here for? There are some off the beaten track places, which you could fit in if sending longer than 1 day

Many thanks for the replies.

I'm up for 2 days but will take in cycling aswell. Goole doesn't look like its far off my route according to Google. Not sure whether mornings or afternoons are better for Monty's.

I've keen to get my annual fix of sea birds, Black & Slav Grebes and perhaps an east coast special.

I've just found a Black Redstart:

Footpath that goes south from where Cinder Hills rd becomes Sandy Gate. C.100yds along footpath. Holmfirth.

Many thanks for the replies.

I'm up for 2 days but will take in cycling aswell. Goole doesn't look like its far off my route according to Google. Not sure whether mornings or afternoons are better for Monty's.

I've keen to get my annual fix of sea birds, Black & Slav Grebes and perhaps an east coast special.

Hi Neil

I hope you have a good trip but I doubt any responsible birder would make a public post about whether Blk N Grebes were resident ie breeding at a site - or pm details to a stranger. It's not so long ago an egger wiped out one colony of breeding BNGs - I am sure they scour bird forum.

otherwise, I hope you get a good selection

Cheers

Mick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back