• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

Hartlepool Evening Boat Trip 28th Aug 2015

Hi

This is to look for cetaceans and seabirds, 5.30 - 8.30 , £20, some spaces left, let me know if interested

Thanks

David

Egrets

Had a rather good day at Potteric Carr today-Great White Egret-a definite first tick .at least two little whites,black tailed Godwit Gadwall and many others.Thanks to Paul,one of the volunteers, for an interesting afternoon.And he got some good shots of the Egret.

Help if possible please

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help with ID on this bird seen by a friend in August in Dorset, the single shot they got was through a window pointing down to a doormat where the bird was...

Many thanks

Dave

Attachments

• 12036851_10153173886186279_3752977283020431367_n.jpg
    12036851_10153173886186279_3752977283020431367_n.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 216
Many thanks Richard,

I could not get a match on any illustrations in my books, is it female or juvenile? I would have expected sharper colours on a male but I am but a novice!

Dave

Many thanks Richard,

I could not get a match on any illustrations in my books, is it female or juvenile? I would have expected sharper colours on a male but I am but a novice!

Dave

ageing and sexing Pied Flys in the autumn is a bit of a minefield which I'm steering clear of!

I'll hop in and go for a 1st winter bird - probably female. Doesn't appear to be a pale patch on forehead which is a male thing and the median coverts look to have pale tips - 1st winter thing.

Hi, I'm new to the page and group. I have just moved to Nawton, in between Kirbymoorside and Helmsley, and I'm looking for advice about good areas to watch and photograph birds in this area. I have John R Mather's Where to watch birds in Yorkshire. But has anyone got any hidden jems in this area.

Hi, I'm new to the page and group. I have just moved to Nawton, in between Kirbymoorside and Helmsley, and I'm looking for advice about good areas to watch and photograph birds in this area. I have John R Mather's Where to watch birds in Yorkshire. But has anyone got any hidden jems in this area.
Hi Geordie,welcome to birding in Gods own County !! It may be worth getting local Ordnance Survey maps and explore the dales running up to the moors above Helmsley.Although most of our birding is done in the dales we do try to visit the Moors.Winter may a good time for looking out for raptors over wintering in the area.We had a few good days last winter looking for Rough Legged Buzzard and the valley bottoms always look "birdy" for those with time.The Ryedale Natural History group may be helpful.

Hi all. Just been reading about Blacktoft Sands in this months Birdwatching magazine. Sounds like a great reserve.

Was thinking of heading up. As its a fair old drive from South Wales do you think it would be better to hang on til Spring? Would there be species there now that are more difficult to see here? Grey Partridge remains my bogey bird - no laughing please ;-). But any advice on waders present or BOP's would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Not sure what is at Blacktoft Sands at the moment but I would not advise right now as the best time to travel there all the way from South Wales. You would be better of waiting tlill next year and going in peak wader passage July onwards, we may even see a return of the Montagu's Harriers that nested last year. It is also good in Winter for birds of prey at the roost - most years there are Hen Harriers. Wouldn't have thought that Grey Partridge is guaranteed at Blacktoft but worth scanning the fields. If I were recommending somewhere nearby to travel all the way from your home at this time of year I would say Spurn if we get the right winds - you would probably want to stay - Westmere Farm is recommended or image the Observatory.

Agree with Stuart, Blacktoft is best either midwinter for the hen harriers and other birds of prey or during the wader passage from July through September, it's tailed off now. Wader numbers are affected by the tide so aim to be there on a rising tide rather than a falling tide. low tide the birds are going to be out on the Humber mud somewhere.

Agree with Stuart, Blacktoft is best either midwinter for the hen harriers and other birds of prey or during the wader passage from July through September, it's tailed off now. Wader numbers are affected by the tide so aim to be there on a rising tide rather than a falling tide. low tide the birds are going to be out on the Humber mud somewhere.

Thanks Keith. It's a decent drive from here so I wanted to time it right:t:

Rich

Thanks Keith. It's a decent drive from here so I wanted to time it right:t:

Rich

Blacktoft keep a Recent Sightings page fairly upto date, so it's worth checking on there: http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverande...eserves/guide/b/blacktoftsands/sightings.aspx

The best place round here for Grey Partridges is the Sunk Island/Stone Creek area (don't ask me to describe how to get there from Wales!), but I did see some on the Easington straight last week as I was leaving Spurn ;-)

Blacktoft keep a Recent Sightings page fairly upto date, so it's worth checking on there: http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverande...eserves/guide/b/blacktoftsands/sightings.aspx

The best place round here for Grey Partridges is the Sunk Island/Stone Creek area (don't ask me to describe how to get there from Wales!), but I did see some on the Easington straight last week as I was leaving Spurn ;-)

Grey Partridge are common as muck around Driffield through to the coast but very few Red-legs (never seen Red-legged in the village or on patch at Barmston/Ulrome but Greys are a daily sight).

Hi all. Just been reading about Blacktoft Sands in this months Birdwatching magazine. Sounds like a great reserve.

Was thinking of heading up. As its a fair old drive from South Wales do you think it would be better to hang on til Spring? Would there be species there now that are more difficult to see here? Grey Partridge remains my bogey bird - no laughing please ;-). But any advice on waders present or BOP's would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

As other have said, it's probably not the best time of year to make a big journey there (although it's always worth a look). If you did go, then if you fancied a quick detour I always find the fields near the Boston Lake car park at Hatfield Moors quite reliable for Grey Partridge (but not nailed on). I would have thought someone could advise nearer to home for you, though!

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks very much all. Your advice is much appreciated. Re. Grey Partridge. They are the birds that I say every time someone starts a "what is your bogey bird?" type thread. Was hoping to finally see one in 2016 so I can mention a different species (of which there are a lot:-O)

Blacktoft, from the write up, seemed like a great place to visit.

Thanks again all.B :)

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back