• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

Visited Silkstone SW for the Firecrest this afternoon. Not as easy as you may expect to see, given some of the lovely photos that have been put online.

A tip if you are going, find a nice spot in good light near the steps by the pipe and stay there - flock of tits, crests, are continually circling/following the edge of the fence to the SW. Also keep an eye on the low hedge behind you here, goldcrests down to a few feet! I finally managed a brief view of the Firecrest in fading light. Hopefully it will stay the winter to give me a chance to get down again for better views.

Had a naughty twitch across to Filey today - life tick in the shape of surf scoter on the bay. Also managed to pick out red throated and great northern divers along with numerous guillemots and shag. As time was tight we didn't hang about - major mistake as one of my bogey birds was found less than 30 minutes after we left - grey phalarope... boo hoo!

Keith said:
Had a naughty twitch across to Filey today - life tick in the shape of surf scoter on the bay. Also managed to pick out red throated and great northern divers along with numerous guillemots and shag. As time was tight we didn't hang about - major mistake as one of my bogey birds was found less than 30 minutes after we left - grey phalarope... boo hoo!

Well done :clap:..... and oh dear!!;)

Iceland or Kumliens

I photographed this Gull at Hornsea Mere yesterday which was reported on Birdguides as Iceland Gull. I placed the photos on Facebook last night and the general consensus now is it is a Kumliens.
Any thoughts please.

Attachments

• AI8I8217-2.jpg
    AI8I8217-2.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 147
  • AI8I8216-2.jpg
    AI8I8216-2.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 132
An interesting gull. Some dark marks to the primary tips suggest Iceland hybrid - so possibly Kumlien's - though that very pale eye is odd (?)

If you post this on the Identification thread I'm sure the gull experts will give you a definitive answer.

Can't help you there Vince, I follow the mantra; big gulls, little gulls, Ross's gull, makes id so much easier
I photographed this Gull at Hornsea Mere yesterday which was reported on Birdguides as Iceland Gull. I placed the photos on Facebook last night and the general consensus now is it is a Kumliens.
Any thoughts please.

the first Leeds Birdfair

Hi everyone

I thought I'd give you advanced notice of the first Leeds Birdfair which will be held at Rodley Nature Reserve on Saturday 25th June 2016. I've been toying with the idea of setting one up for some time to highlight Leeds and Yorkshire as a great place to watch birds - I finally took the plunge.

Details to follow but it will be a day filled with events and talks and there will be a good selection of stalls in true Birdfair style. In comparison to Rutland, this will very small scale but Rutland is 27 years old!

I hope you'll put the date in your diary and come along.

Best wishes - Linda

the first Leeds Birdfair

Hi everyone

I thought I'd give you advanced notice of the first Leeds Birdfair which will be held at Rodley Nature Reserve on Saturday 25th June 2016. I've been toying with the idea of setting one up for some time to highlight Leeds and Yorkshire as a great place to watch birds - I finally took the plunge.

Details to follow but it will be a day filled with events and talks and there will be a good selection of stalls in true Birdfair style. In comparison to Rutland, this will be very small scale but Rutland is 27 years old!

Best wishes - Linda

Any thoughts please.

Thats the Barmston Kumlien's looking much more bleached than earlier in the winter. Presumably still roosting on the Mere on occasion.

Hi everyone

Details to follow but it will be a day filled with events and talks and there will be a good selection of stalls in true Birdfair style. In comparison to Rutland, this will be very small scale but Rutland is 27 years old!

Best wishes - Linda
Hope we can support this Linda and pass it round our little club in Nidderdale.
By the way was it you at Flask Lake the other day for the R.N.Grebe ?

Went to Swillington Ings yesterday - was nice to get a Hare, White Fronted Goose and Short Eared Owl in one scope. A Pink Footed Goose was also present with that and the Greylags. Nice to get 4 species if Goose in one frame.

Good times at Swilly when the ambience is right. I've been there and calling hobby flying one way when mate tells me no it's flying t'other way... 2 birds. Also been there to listen to quail... never saw the little beggar though, but did score little owl on way back to car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back