• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Redpolls (1 Viewer)

No sign of flock today, at Allerthorpe, just odd few birds moving around. Tape attracted a few birds to nets, with 10 Lesser and 2 Mealy caught. Mealy very smart, especially the dark ear coverts with very pale surround. Picture of each bird below...adult landscape, first year portrait! Each has a wing length of 74mm.

Wow - I know I can't judge size etc. from a photo, but I think I would have passed this off as a Lesser in the field. So Common can have a dark rump?

What do you think about this bird - seen at Redhouse? My initial view was Lesser, but now I'm not sure given the paler head tones. Clearly not as frosty as some of the Common up at Redhouse.

Attachments

• Redpoll.jpg
    Redpoll.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 80
Wow - I know I can't judge size etc. from a photo, but I think I would have passed this off as a Lesser in the field. So Common can have a dark rump?.

The variation I have observered this year is massive in the rump area, we/Andy even had one Common with a full pink rump, just like a male Twite!

Still Mealy?????Probably but single utc streak and clean underparts.Didnt get rump view, worth posting my other images of this bird????

Gd help me! My girlie says its got a skidmark!!!!

Attachments

• redpoll108.jpg
    redpoll108.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Still Mealy?????Probably but single utc streak and clean underparts.Didnt get rump view, worth posting my other images of this bird????

Gd help me! My girlie says its got a skidmark!!!!

Head looks quite mealy to me in this single shot, and is that some red I can see lurking in the cheeks there ?

Very difficult to judge from 1 pic tho, as wolfie says (sorry wolfbirder), more pics would help.

Is this white enough for you!!

Looks like a Mealy to me...on beak and head colour (and I think that there may be more streaking on under tail coverts than there appears ?

How about this one, from The Icelandic Birding Pages! An unusual Common Redpoll, to say the least!

http://notendur.hi.is/yannk/myndir/rarity/oo_carfla230211.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of other pics of last posted, I tend to agree mealy on structure ,but still shows how need to take all features into account IMHO.The utcs made me interested 'in the field' at first!

Attachments

• redpoll109.jpg
    redpoll109.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 51
  • redpoll110.jpg
    redpoll110.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 62
Wow - I know I can't judge size etc. from a photo, but I think I would have passed this off as a Lesser in the field. So Common can have a dark rump?

What do you think about this bird - seen at Redhouse? My initial view was Lesser, but now I'm not sure given the paler head tones. Clearly not as frosty as some of the Common up at Redhouse.
I'd say it's a Lesser, Steve. Are there any pro-Mealy features?
Think I'm correct in saying that the browner rumped Mealy birds are females, which are more difficult to separate from Lesser, but you'd expect to see more contrast on the face, with pale super, distinct ear coverts, extensive dark bib, and also a broader white wing bar.

Perhaps of interest, a couple more mealy redpoll pics from Rainton Meadows (taken yesterday), including a brown bird (presumably a dull 1st winter fem mealy).

Brown birds can be a real challenge. Many of the browner mealys seem to show bright mantle straps, cleaner ground colour to the flanks/underparts, pale rumps, and perhaps more greyish tones in some areas too (ear coverts etc). Some aren't that obvious tho, and some are virtually impossible. This bird was big (dwarfing the lessers), and appeared large billed, and pale rumped, otherwise it was brown !

Attachments

• redpolls.jpg
    redpolls.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 42
  • mealy7.jpg
    mealy7.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 58
  • mealy9.jpg
    mealy9.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 41
  • mealy10.jpg
    mealy10.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 43
  • mealy8.jpg
    mealy8.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 40
Perhaps of interest, a couple more mealy redpoll pics from Rainton Meadows (taken yesterday), including a brown bird (presumably a dull 1st winter fem mealy).

Brown birds can be a real challenge. Many of the browner mealys seem to show bright mantle straps, cleaner ground colour to the flanks/underparts, pale rumps, and perhaps more greyish tones in some areas too (ear coverts etc). Some aren't that obvious tho, and some are virtually impossible. This bird was big (dwarfing the lessers), and appeared large billed, and pale rumped, otherwise it was brown !

I would have thought that 2nd bird has potential to be a 1stW or female Coues?

I would have thought that 2nd bird has potential to be a 1stW or female Coues?

Hi Wolfbirder.

It has an obvious white rump, but that's about it tbh.

It's head was typically flammea (obvious contrasty ear coverts, and lacking that small-billed appearance exilipes can often show when relaxed), the upperpart ground colour was that 'mealy brown' as oppose to that lighter sandy/buffy brown you would expect for most 1st yr exilipes......... Oh.... and it had 2 thick arrowheads on the UTCs too ! ;)

I'm no expert but I assume this bird is probably a 1st year male flammea. It shows the white rump (with a few streaks/flecks) and reduced flank streaking suggesting a male, but is lacking the red that you might expect to see on adult males.

If you want a redpoll to properly mess with your head, check out the structure on this thing ! Taken at Rainton a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• redpoll sp.jpg
    redpoll sp.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 56
Hi Wolfbirder.

It has an obvious white rump, but that's about it tbh.

It's head was typically flammea (obvious contrasty ear coverts, and lacking that small-billed appearance exilipes can often show when relaxed), the upperpart ground colour was that 'mealy brown' as oppose to that lighter sandy/buffy brown you would expect for most 1st yr exilipes......... Oh.... and it had 2 thick arrowheads on the UTCs too ! ;)

I'm no expert but I assume this bird is probably a 1st year male flammea. It shows the white rump (with a few streaks/flecks) and reduced flank streaking suggesting a male, but is lacking the red that you might expect to see on adult males.

If you want a redpoll to properly mess with your head, check out the structure on this thing ! Taken at Rainton a couple of weeks ago.

Yep......this bird too !! I have no idea but as you say it has Arctic features.

Any confidence i previously had gained with redpolls has dissipated just as quickly, certainly regards the string of border line redpolls seen this winter.

If the bird I mentioned indeed has 2 broad UTC's that would appear to be it. I have seen photos of 1stW Coues with equally dark brown upperparts as Mealies. The bill and streaking, from what I can tell from the photo, are borderline. I know Mealies can show white rumps like this, but surely its unusual for 1stW mealies? I give up!! :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back