• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Gull at Cildir Lake East Turkey on 1st of September (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

The image of a Young Gull was made at Cildir Lake East Turkey near the border to Georgia. I am still thinking of Armenian Gull. But the dark brown mantle irritate me. I could not find images of juvenile Armenian Gull in the internet.

Thanks for ID to the experts.

Cheers

Johannes

Attachments

• Armenian Gull_DSH47030.jpg
    Armenian Gull_DSH47030.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 37
The image of a Young Gull was made at Cildir Lake East Turkey near the border to Georgia. I am still thinking of Armenian Gull. But the dark brown mantle irritate me. I could not find images of juvenile Armenian Gull in the internet.

Thanks for ID to the experts.

Cheers

Johannes
There are a number on Macaulay Armenian Gull - Larus armenicus - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird

Gull research is much better

Here there are a number that seem very similar

It seems promising but I haven't tried to eliminate Caspian or YLG, or even heuglini.

a completely juvenile Gull and as such really hard to identify. On bill shape it could be either armenicus or michahellis, both of which usually having replaced some scapulars by sept. 1st, but this could be a late hatched individual. Eye smudge, bill shape and tertial pattern not so good for cachinnans. As for heuglini - could be, but usually heuglini looks much fresher in plumage than this bird, and I think it would be a bit early for a juvenile of that taxon to show up. My bet is a local Armenian Gull but an aopen wing and tail would be really needed to ID it with certainty.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back