• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (8 Viewers)

Oiseaux de Nouvelle-Calédonie: Grande Terre, Îles Loyautés et Archipels Éloignés (in French)​

Oiseaux de Nouvelle-Calédonie: Grande Terre, Îles Loyautés et Archipels Éloignés (in French)​

If you are interested in this book I can recommend another similar publication: "Oiseaux de Nlle Caledonie et des Loyautes" by Hannecart and Letocart, 1980. It's bilingual and also illustrated with lots of photographs.

If you are interested in this book I can recommend another similar publication: "Oiseaux de Nlle Caledonie et des Loyautes" by Hannecart and Letocart, 1980. It's bilingual and also illustrated with lots of photographs.
Thank's for the hint. I am in particular interested on the four birds, that became extinct on New Caledonia in the Holocene.

From the Summary: This guide to the birds of New Caledonia presents the 184 species that have been recorded here, including the four species currently considered extinct.

One of the books aim most looking forward to is Reptiles of Ecuador which is being worked on by the team behind Tropical Herping. They have undertaken extensive fieldwork throughout Ecuador during the past 13+ years in preparations for this book. In this process they have discovered more than 10 species new to science, rediscovered several species thought to be extinct and have improved our knowledge of many more.

It is set to become one of the most comprehensive herpetology books ever published for a latin american country. It is now scheduled for publication in September 2024 but the publication have been pushed forward several times already so I guess it might happen again. Reptiles of Ecuador

Last edited:
I had a couple of 'tweets' this week with the latest info about this much-anticipated guide.

Publisher's blurb:

ID Handbook of European Birds​

A groundbreaking two-volume illustrated reference book covering all of Europe’s birds

Would you like to be able to identify any bird species in Europe, in all plumages, in every season? ID Handbook of European Birds is the resource for you. This identification handbook blends incisive descriptions with stunning high-resolution photos to provide the most comprehensive, in-depth coverage of European birds available. Never before has so much current information been brought together in one place and presented so clearly and completely. This monumental two-volume work is destined to become a standard reference to Europe’s birds.

• Covers 733 species known to occur in Europe
  • Features more than 5,500 spectacular color photos
  • Detailed species accounts describe key identification features, molting, age, and gender
  • The high-quality photos depict the characteristics most essential for identification
  • Innovatively designed for easy, at-a-glance reference
  • An ideal resource for anyone who wants to enhance their experience in the field
  • A must for bird watchers everywhere, from beginners to seasoned birders
Price:$107.00/£90.00 ISBN:9780691253572 Published (US): Oct 1, 2024 Published (UK): Aug 6, 2024 Pages:1048 Size:6.5 x 9.5 in.Illus:5,500 colour photos.

1712603268807.png

It's a fantastic set and suprisingly easy to use. The version mentioned above is enhanced compared to the 2022 Dutch press I own, which makes me consider upgrading to this press (already).

It's a fantastic set and suprisingly easy to use. The version mentioned above is enhanced compared to the 2022 Dutch press I own, which makes me consider upgrading to this press (already).
They might even have a bit more space for more text as, I believe, text tends to contract when translated from Dutch into English!

I believe, text tends to contract when translated from Dutch into English
English does indeed run out significantly (sometimes substantially) shorter than any other major language using Roman script. This is often a big problem in translating highly-graphical layout-dependent works that are created in English; here, fortunately for English readers, the reverse applies.

Is ID Handbook of European Birds only available as two volume set or it also possible to buy a single volume? (e.g. Volume 1) I think the Passerines volume is rather similar to the Shirihai/Svensson book.

English does indeed run out significantly (sometimes substantially) shorter than any other major language using Roman script. This is often a big problem in translating highly-graphical layout-dependent works that are created in English; here, fortunately for English readers, the reverse applies.
Yes, and maybe this explains why there was space to add 15 non-native species as well as more photographs (of e.g. 'hybrid type' Lesser Scaup, comparative head patterns of Great Blue- and Grey Heron, wingpattern 1st winter Pintail etc.) as stated by the author on the Dutch Birding forum.

Last edited:
Is ID Handbook of European Birds only available as two volume set or it also possible to buy a single volume? (e.g. Volume 1) I think the Passerines volume is rather similar to the Shirihai/Svensson book.
Well, I own both and my experience is the Van Duivendijk is really filling the gap between the 'classic field guide' and the 'coffee table book sized' Shirihai in size as well as in content, focussing on ID and field characters. The Shirihai also deals with distribution, biometrics, vocalisations etc..

Apart from that I'm expecting it only to be available as a set...

Well, I own both and my experience is the Van Duivendijk is really filling the gap between the 'classic field guide' and the 'coffee table book sized' Shirihai in size as well as in content, focussing on ID and field characters. The Shirihai also deals with distribution, biometrics, vocalisations etc..

Thanks for the information. I hope that there will be a Non-Passerines book by Shirihai/Svensson in the near future.

Yes only as a set,
Cheers
James

Good to see a 4th edition of Eduardo de Juana & Juan Varela's excellent book - Aves de Espana - has just been published. I hope that an English language edition follows but even for hopeless monoglots like me, it's a very useful supplement to the Collins guide. This is thanks to the generously sized, handsome artwork (reminiscent in style to Lars Jonsson's work), larger & more detailed maps of Spanish distribution and good notes on Spanish bird population, distribution etc (now easily translated via phone apps). Usefully, this new edition has added QR codes linking to SEO/BirdLife Guide to the Birds of Spain which has good photos, videos, sound recordings etc. of the species involved. A symbol indicating conservation status has also been added. A good number of plates have been redesigned (many with images flipped around) and a few new illustrations (e.g. of Blue Chaffinch). Highly recommended.1712919740814.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back