• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

With all the amazing birds you have seen that most of us only dream of, I admit I find it amusing your latest lifer is a Sora :p
My Colombia list is just over half that of Diego's and I've seen Sora near Bogotá (Capilla de Siecha)... I would have gladly exchanged it for a Hooded Antpitta, haha.

I was going to say Grey-headed Fish Eagle at Pierce Reservoir, Singapore at New Year (didn't know they existed until I realised what I was looking at wasn't some immature White-bellied), but then more recently, Waxwing - a first for me - in Port Meadow, Oxford.

Two weeks ago I saw my first Short-eared Owls... not one, but half a dozen! All hunting in broad daylight in the late afternoon, at the Liberty Marsh in New York just over the New Jersey border. Adding a new owl to my Life List is always a thrill! |:$|

Two weeks ago I saw my first Short-eared Owls... not one, but half a dozen! All hunting in broad daylight in the late afternoon, at the Liberty Marsh in New York just over the New Jersey border. Adding a new owl to my Life List is always a thrill! |:$|

Short-Eared Owl is one of my nemesis birds - along with a Barn Owl. My latest Lifer was a Nelson's Sharp Tailed Sparrow. I had a pair that posed for over half an hour. I wish that I had my camera with me.

My Colombia list is just over half that of Diego's and I've seen Sora near Bogotá (Capilla de Siecha)... I would have gladly exchanged it for a Hooded Antpitta, haha.

I would have done it some weeks ago Xenospiza!!... I have never been able to lure out those Soras at Siecha for example... but do know how to get Hooded Antpitta in the Central Andes in the other hand... you should have proposed me that deal some days ago ;-)
d.

Two new lifers in a week :) Neither is all that rare, but both gave prolonged close views and were well worth the effort!

Firstly, a water rail at Rutland Water a couple of weeks back, and then a bearded tit in Hyde Park last week :t:

Common Crane, in company with Lesser and one Greater Sandhill Crane (not life birds)

In Clark Co, Nevada, at the Overton Wildlife Mgt Area

Will

Last edited:
Golden eagle, here. I know, dead common, but I hadn't seen one. In fact, this is the first year I've seen eagles, at all, and I've already checked two species off my list (golden & bald).

Two lifers today near Knutby, Sweden. A gorgeous Northern Hawk-Owl, performing well at the top of a pine tree, then I looked round and there was a Spotted Nutcracker perched up a bit further away! Very happy!

Finally caught up with one of my "most wanted" yesterday (Sunday 10th February) in Brambling.

I know you might be saying "what!" however it is infrequent in the South West and my efforts to see it elsewhere over the years have been unsuccessful....

Last edited:
Finally caught up with one of my "most wanted" yesterday (Sunday 10th February) in Brambling.

I know you might be saying "what!" however it is infrequent in the South West and my efforts to see it elsewhere over the years have been unsuccessful

I started the year with a list of five birds that I wanted to see for the first time (Hawfinch, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Brambling). And like you, I finally got the Bramblings yesterday - in the Holme/Titchwell area of Norfolk (and then on the feeders inside the reserve itself). In all, I got six lifers this weekend:

Saturday:
Rough-legged Buzzard
Taiga Bean Goose

Sunday:
Merlin
Brambling
Hen Harrier
Long-tailed Duck

Just need the LSW and I'll have got all the 'wants' for this year!

I started the year with a list of five birds that I wanted to see for the first time (Hawfinch, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Brambling). And like you, I finally got the Bramblings yesterday - in the Holme/Titchwell area of Norfolk (and then on the feeders inside the reserve itself). In all, I got six lifers this weekend:

Saturday:
Rough-legged Buzzard
Taiga Bean Goose

Sunday:
Merlin
Brambling
Hen Harrier
Long-tailed Duck

Just need the LSW and I'll have got all the 'wants' for this year!

Great stuff, sonds like a fantastic weekend.
My next targets for lifers are Short Eared Owl and Woodcock.

eager to see if I get something else in this trip.. still some Choco endemics possible new for me ;-)

so I got some more new birds for me in that trip: White-tailed Tyrannulet that is not uncommon at Rio Blanco Reserve in C Andes where I have birded extensively!, and one I had been wanting to see for a looong time: Sharp-tailed Streamcreeper at Carmen de Atrato in the Choco!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back