• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (7 Viewers)

We just returned from a trip to Cedar Island, NC where I added at least 15 lifers. Among them are Green and Tricolored Herons, Willets, Least Sandpipers, and Royal and Forster's Terns. My husband saw a Black-crowned Night-Heron on the evening he took our boys out for some after-dusk fishing.

Also listed Chuck-Will's Widow as "heard only".

Yesterday a White-tipped Sicklebill hummingbird. A very nice bird and also memorable because my wife (who less than two years ago was a non-birder) correctly identified it before I saw it.

Rock Bunting in the Pyrenees a couple of weeks ago.

Have to go out and look for a Ballad Bunting or Soul Bunting next ;)

Lee

A busy few days birding around the Atherton Tablelands got me several lifers, Golden Bowerbird (my last of the Wet Tropic Endemics), Sarus Crane, Freckled Duck, Noisy Minor and Little Lorikeet.

I added some goodies to my list on the recent June/July trips:

1. MEGA White-faced Nunbird in the W Andes (see attached photos!)
2. Amazing Slaty-capped Shrike-Vireo was my last Vireolanius!
3. Stripe-backed Wren long overdue lifer in the coast.
4. Sulphur-bellied Tyrannulet along with mixed flocks in the E Andes E slope.

I am on 1.247 species for Colombia now ;-)

Attachments

• White-faced Nunbird - Hapaloptila castanea 1 - La Mesenia, W Andes.jpg
    White-faced Nunbird - Hapaloptila castanea 1 - La Mesenia, W Andes.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 64
  • White-faced Nunbird - Hapaloptila castanea 3 - La Mesenia, W Andes.JPG
    White-faced Nunbird - Hapaloptila castanea 3 - La Mesenia, W Andes.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 55
American Redstart today...either a female or first yr male. Definitely not the black/orange of the adult male, but still a very pretty bird.

I added some goodies to my list on the recent June/July trips:

1. MEGA White-faced Nunbird in the W Andes (see attached photos!)
2. Amazing Slaty-capped Shrike-Vireo was my last Vireolanius!
3. Stripe-backed Wren long overdue lifer in the coast.
4. Sulphur-bellied Tyrannulet along with mixed flocks in the E Andes E slope.

I am on 1.247 species for Colombia now ;-)

Congrats Diego! That darn nunbird eluded me despite spending plenty of time in habitat for it in Ecuador.

In June, I got my lifer Bridled Tern during a bit of seawatching at Bajamar, Costa Rica.

July was much better for lifers with 4 great birds from a trip to southwestern Costa Rica that targeted several uncommon species. The trip brought my Costa Rican country list up to 746 along with the following lifers:

Ocellated Crake: Briefest glimpses of two and many heard in interesting savannas near Buenos Aires, Costa Rica.

Paint-billed Crake: Excellent looks at this mini gallinule in a rice field near Ciudad Neily.

Wedge-tailed Grass Finch: Nicer to finally get this overdue lifer!

Costa Rican Brush Finch: Another overdue bird.

Also heard but did not see Gray-breasted Crake on that trip to reinforce that bird's standing as the species I have heard the most without having seen it (have probably heard 200 or more in various places!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back