• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your WORST identifiable photos (1 Viewer)

Back home from a family Christmas and into the archives... Less convinced that this one is identifiable. Again, it is over 30 years ago & my only sighting of the species. Is it identifiable by anyone?

All the best

Paul
Two replies to your post Paul but nobody actually stating what the species is to enlighten us lesser mortals -sometimes Birdforum takes on the air of a private gentlemens’ club! It’s a Sandgrouse sp I reckon.

Two replies to your post Paul but nobody actually stating what the species is to enlighten us lesser mortals -sometimes Birdforum takes on the air of a private gentlemens’ club! It’s a Sandgrouse sp I reckon.
I refrained because I'd identified a few already and I figured this one was do-able by a cross-section of at least the twitching community - but I didn't want anyone thinking I was baffled..... No intention to condescend, honest!

John

I refrained because I'd identified a few already and I figured this one was do-able by a cross-section of at least the twitching community - but I didn't want anyone thinking I was baffled..... No intention to condescend, honest!

John
No problem John, so if the UK twitching community found it easy and if it is a sandgrouse it must be Pallas’! By the way, did anyone hear anything more after the claimed fly by flock in the Netherlands a few weeks ago?

I've got a few, and I'll push them out one at a time so there's no doubt about which we are talking about. In fact perhaps it would be a good thing if the congregation identifies each before I move on to the next. First up:

View attachment 1421729

All the images are in Britain.

John

I simply do not know Sylvia tail patterns well enough at all. I would be guessing on rarity really. A lot of white there. Still looking for references.

All the best

Paul

I simply do not know Sylvia tail patterns well enough at all. I would be guessing on rarity really. A lot of white there. Still looking for references.

All the best

Paul
Well I'm almost relieved, sometimes I feel your birding is so well structured and your knowledge so comprehensive as to put me to shame... it is a Sylvia, unless the taxonomic shysters have changed that all round recently without me noticing.

John

Well I'm almost relieved, sometimes I feel your birding is so well structured and your knowledge so comprehensive as to put me to shame... it is a Sylvia, unless the taxonomic shysters have changed that all round recently without me noticing.

John
Of the species recorded in Britain, only Blackcap and Garden Warbler are still in the genus Sylvia, the rest are now in Curruca...

The first one might be Eastern Subalpine Warbler. My books fail to show tail patterns.
The second one is very identifiable! How many torches were involved?
Spot on, in flight in the Portland top fields in 2014.

Only a couple but one bloke had a spotlight almost like a yellow 55 gallon oil drum!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back