• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - oh my! (3 Viewers)

I was told by someone in the trade that the 8x32 Conquest contains the 'innards' of the 8x32 FL, and when Zeiss re-designated with new product names, this FL was effectively re-packaged as a Conquest.
Hi,

I can't confirm that!
The Conquest 8x32 is a great glass without a doubt, but optically it differs a little from the FL.

The Conquest has a tad warmer colors, is not quite as dominant in the green area, the edge sharpness is with the Con. even a little better, a touch less distortion but it shows a little more chromatic aberrations.

It is correct, the differences are deficient and only visible in direct comparison, but if you have spent a while with both glasses side by side, you can easily see differences.

So I don't think that the optical FL design was simply carried over to the Conquest, especially with the 10x56 the differences are more noticeable.

Andreas

Hi,

I have some comparative reports between the Con. 8x32 and Vic. 8x32 When reading , most people see visual differences in direct comparison.
Many observers notice the differences mentioned above in particular.

In addition, the FL is noticeably shorter than the Con. the optical calculation must be different.

Andreas

Last edited:
I've narrowed my current search for a new pair of bins down to the Conquest 8x32 and the Kowa BD 8x42 (sort of apples and oranges, I know). Try as I might (and I've spent about four hours poring over different models), I couldn't see any difference in brightness between the two. I was told by someone in the trade that the 8x32 Conquest contains the 'innards' of the 8x32 FL, and when Zeiss re-designated with new product names, this FL was effectively re-packaged as a Conquest. Either way, I like it, but I have a decision to make, as it's twice the price of the Kowa, which I thought punched way above it's weight.

(I prefer both to the new Nikon Monarch M7's, btw, which I found to be of inconsistent optical quality across the sizes.)
The only moment I'd expect a brightness difference is at dusk.

My feeling is if price is an issue get the cheap one. If weight is the issue then the lightest. I would expect a medium x42 to best a good x32 every day btw.

Edmund

I have been following this discussion and I still can’t understand why the x32 FL is twice the cost of the Conquest x32 . If the Conquest retail price is based on Japan being it’s primary source vs the FL being Germany’s retail promoted cost with the Germany labor cost costing more, this might account for some of the higher cost ? It cannot be because of the construction differences, maybe higher end glass components are in the FL ? Maybe I am looking at this completely wrong … Zeiss simply over advertised and promoted the x32 FL, along with its over the top price tag because they could. Then comes the Conquest not being able to command the same prices because of the reasons I mentioned.

I've read a few times now that the Conquest HDs were FL innards. Don't know if it's just repeated internet myth or true but I'd like to think it's the latter!

I have always thought the Conquest 8x32 was 98% as good as the FL 8x32. The FL is not worth twice the price, even though it controls CA SLIGHTLY better. One other one to consider is the Swarovski CL 8x30, being about the same price as the Conquest but having better contrast with a slightly smaller FOV. I'm BACK! He He!:LOL:

The 8x32 Conquest HD holds its own quite respectfully in the company of 8x32 SF and 8x32 UVHD+.

I've used my 8x32 and 10x42 Conquest HDs for going on 8 years now, and this year I added 8x32 SF, 8x32 UVHD+, and 10x42 SF.

While I can't say that the Conquest HDs are my favorite binoculars, I can happily say that I use the Conquest HDs interchangeably with the SFs and UVHD+s, and I'm quite pleased to do so. All of these are quite exceptional binoculars. And you get quite a lot of money's worth with the Conquest HDs.

The 8x32 Conquest HD holds its own quite respectfully in the company of 8x32 SF and 8x32 UVHD+.

I've used my 8x32 and 10x42 Conquest HDs for going on 8 years now, and this year I added 8x32 SF, 8x32 UVHD+, and 10x42 SF.

While I can't say that the Conquest HDs are my favorite binoculars, I can happily say that I use the Conquest HDs interchangeably with the SFs and UVHD+s, and I'm quite pleased to do so. All of these are quite exceptional binoculars. And you get quite a lot of money's worth with the Conquest HDs.
ZD you beat me with the Conquest HD 8x32s by one year, I have had mine for 7 years and they have been one of favourites since I got them, especially since I discovered how useful its fast focus was in France where almost every species of everything was new to us and I was focusing and refocusing from near to far and back again time after time and the Conquest's fast focuser simply meant I got successful views of subjects more often. That kind of puts an objective gloss on my relationship with Conquest HD but this relationship was founded as soon as I picked it up and started using it, I just enjoyed it so much right from the start and like you do, I can alternate between it and SF8x32 on different days and still be entirely comfortable with the Conquest's performance.

Lee

I have always thought the Conquest 8x32 was 98% as good as the FL 8x32. The FL is not worth twice the price, even though it controls CA SLIGHTLY better. One other one to consider is the Swarovski CL 8x30, being about the same price as the Conquest but having better contrast with a slightly smaller FOV. I'm BACK! He He!:LOL:
The price that is worth paying for any bino is a very personal decision but the fact is I sold my FL8x32 but still have my Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee

FWIW, I was shown a pair of Swarovski NL Pure 8x42's costing £2400.00. Felt nice, but they were big and heavy. They were only better than the Conquest, optically, in the periphery; sharp almost to the very edges.

I wouldn't have bought the Swaro's, even if I had that budget, because of the size and weight; for my needs I still preferred the Conquest's (and the Kowa BD's... honestly) - the Swaro's failed to engender any sense that I was missing something. Or rather, what I would have been missing was £1,700.00 from my pocket!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I will be getting myself a Conquest HD 8x32 for Christmas.
I believe from a price-performance standpoint it is for me probably the best binocular on the market with outstanding allround capabilities.
While some complain it does not appear super refined haptically or light, but rather rugged, I would agree, but see this as an additional benefit for being a long-term and reliable companion.
The differences to the Victory SF were clearly recognizable for me; SF is extremely appealing and I also find such a glass to be very desirable in the future, but not at this point in time.
Regards!
spoce

For what it's worth, I'm still 100% thrilled with my 8x32 Conquest HD's. They have performed perfectly in every way, under every situation since I purchased them. I recently returned from a trip where I was viewing through them on a window mount for hours on end, searching for wildlife. Zero eye strain. Zero adjustment period when looking away from the binoculars. Perfectly bright to see birds a full half-hour after sunset that I couldn't see with my naked eye.

I recently purchased 3 pairs of 10x42 Conquest HD's for work purposes (bird surveys) and while they are excellent for that application, I still prefer my 8x32's hands down.

If I were to lose this pair today, I would have another pair ordered by tomorrow.

I've narrowed my current search for a new pair of bins down to the Conquest 8x32 and the Kowa BD 8x42 (sort of apples and oranges, I know). Try as I might (and I've spent about four hours poring over different models), I couldn't see any difference in brightness between the two. I was told by someone in the trade that the 8x32 Conquest contains the 'innards' of the 8x32 FL, and when Zeiss re-designated with new product names, this FL was effectively re-packaged as a Conquest. Either way, I like it, but I have a decision to make, as it's twice the price of the Kowa, which I thought punched way above it's weight.

(I prefer both to the new Nikon Monarch M7's, btw, which I found to be of inconsistent optical quality across the sizes.)
Instead of the Kowa BD you should definitely try the Genesis series. I traded my 8x32 conquest for the Genesis 8x33, optics are at lease equal and build quality is superior. And you can never go wrong with an 8 x 42 monarch HG. Both the Nikon and the Kowa both fall into that so called knocking on alphas door. I love them both. The Kowa is the big surprise to me. I always thought they were cheaper Chinese entry level glass. I found out the genesis line is a top of the line made in Japan optic.
Thank you

Hello everyone,
I will be getting myself a Conquest HD 8x32 for Christmas.
I believe from a price-performance standpoint it is for me probably the best binocular on the market with outstanding allround capabilities.
While some complain it does not appear super refined haptically or light, but rather rugged, I would agree, but see this as an additional benefit for being a long-term and reliable companion.
The differences to the Victory SF were clearly recognizable for me; SF is extremely appealing and I also find such a glass to be very desirable in the future, but not at this point in time.
Regards!
spoce
There are many other great binos at that price point that are equal to an in many ways better than the conquest in my opinion. You should consider Kowa Genesis, Nikon HG, Leica Trinovid (if your not sensitive to CA) also GPO has some really nice stuff in there Passion HD line to name a few.
good luck and merry Christmas

Instead of the Kowa BD you should definitely try the Genesis series. I traded my 8x32 conquest for the Genesis 8x33, optics are at lease equal and build quality is superior.
Thanks, but I already bought the Conquest, although it was tight between it and the BD (not least because I started out with a BD budget). The Genesis was a stretch too far price-wise. (I can't find anyone who thinks the Trinovid is an upgrade to a Conquest, but you alluded to that).

I do like Kowa (a lot), but I'm not sure how build quality can be judged until something fails or falls apart. After one week, I have no issues with the build quality of the Zeiss, so isn't 'feel in the hand' perceived build quality, or even confirmation bias? Not sure anyone spends £700.00+ then gets home and complains to their wife about what they just bought. lol

Merry christmas!

Thanks, but I already bought the Conquest, although it was tight between it and the BD (not least because I started out with a BD budget). The Genesis was a stretch too far price-wise. (I can't find anyone who thinks the Trinovid is an upgrade to a Conquest, but you alluded to that).

I do like Kowa (a lot), but I'm not sure how build quality can be judged until something fails or falls apart. After one week, I have no issues with the build quality of the Zeiss, so isn't 'feel in the hand' perceived build quality, or even confirmation bias? Not sure anyone spends £700.00+ then gets home and complains to their wife about what they just bought. lol

Merry christmas!
Congratulations you’re going to love them, they are an excellent high quality Binocular. You can never go wrong with a German made Zeiss. Beautiful optics, excellent fast focus and built really nice. The Leica is in that same price category and there also a beautiful Binocular in that same quality class, I just had an issue because I’m sensitive to the CA.

You said the Kowa Genesis was over you budget, i believe they are the same price as the Zeiss, at least where I am.

Lol on the wifey thing, I did exactly that when I opened my SF’s with a powdery substance on them. No need to complain now, save that for later when you looking to buy another binocular 🤟

Now keep in mind there’s no reason to complain about a Zeiss Conquest and you have 30 days to try them out. That gives you plenty of time to buy and try another brand you had in mind and return t(e one you don’t want 🤪

enjoy.

You said the Kowa Genesis was over you budget, i believe they are the same price as the Zeiss, at least where I am.

They're about £100.00 more than the Conquest's in an 8x32/33 (more if comparing the 8x42 with the 8.5x44). I know that's not much, but like I said, I was already stretching from a BD budget... felt I had to draw the line somewhere.

My dealer didn't have the 8x33 Genesis in stock and I didn't think to try the 8.5x44 because it was £1,049.00... probably just as well I didn't, otherwise Mr Piggy Bank might be going hungry right now.

Now keep in mind there’s no reason to complain about a Zeiss Conquest and you have 30 days to try them out. That gives you plenty of time to buy and try another brand you had in mind and return t(e one you don’t want.

To be honest, if I was going to take the Conquest's back I'd go back to Plan A and swap them for the Kowa BD's and pocket the £330.00 difference. That's how torn I was between the Conquest and the BD.

ATB!

They're about £100.00 more than the Conquest's in an 8x32/33 (more if comparing the 8x42 with the 8.5x44). I know that's not much, but like I said, I was already stretching from a BD budget... felt I had to draw the line somewhere.

My dealer didn't have the 8x33 Genesis in stock and I didn't think to try the 8.5x44 because it was £1,049.00... probably just as well I didn't, otherwise Mr Piggy Bank might be going hungry right now.

To be honest, if I was going to take the Conquest's back I'd go back to Plan A and swap them for the Kowa BD's and pocket the £330.00 difference. That's how torn I was between the Conquest and the BD.

ATB!
You did good with the conquest and much better than the BD, and I agree setting that budget line, something I’ve never been able to do. The Kowa 44 seems to fall into another category so then your getting into Swaro SLC territory and I’m a huge fan of SwarovskI. Not to mention their also very heavy for the class. I don’t understand their pricing as well, there substantially more than the 32 line.
My personal feel the 33’s are Kowa’s sweet spot in the lineup.

Have a blast with that Conquest, welcome to the family. Maybe the Zeiss will see its first comet this week..

Having been reading this and another thread on the Conquest 8x32 HD I happened across a second hand one at a decent price so took the plunge as a back up binocular to use at my partners house. My usual bins are Swarovski 8.5 x 44 but I must say I'm impressed optically and comfortwise with these and keep eagerly make any excuse to use them. I also like the fast focus mentioned here previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back