• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 v Opticron Aurora 8x42 (1 Viewer)

dougan

Carrying on from my last thread regarding upgrading from my Hawke Frontier 8x43.
These are the two pairs I have in mind, and at the moment I can get the Zeiss for an extra £125 over the Opticron.
What are peoples opinions over these, and also is the Zeiss worth the extra £125?

Thanks

Opticron outperforms the Conquest on axis sharpness and in control of CA across entire image.

I HIGHLY rate the Opticron New Aurora - and the 8x42 is my primary birding bin after an extensive shootout to pick a set.

Last edited:
For the money, I don't think you can beat the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. I compared many binoculars at its price point, and it was my favorite. The on-axis sharpness and resolution of the Zeiss is very hard to beat. In the Porter's review, the resolution of the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 was 4.59 and the Opticron Aurora BGA 8x42 was only 3.40. This is how they tested resolution.

"We quantified each binocular's ability to resolve fine detail, using an USAF-1951 optics resolution chart. We mounted binoculars side by side on a stable, vibration-free platform. We controlled the lighting conditions carefully. We tested each binocular multiple times. We compared each binocular to a reference binocular to confirm that what we were seeing was not influenced by eye fatigue or other temporary issues. We kept testing until we agreed upon a consistent relative score. The binoculars in our survey showed similar resolution at 8x. However, when we magnified the images to 32x, using two stacked doublers, differences in resolution became clearer. Even then, the top five binoculars tied in their resolution scores, showing no consistent, repeatable differences over multiple trials. The Resolution Score column in the accompanying chart shows the binoculars' relative performances at 32x. The lower scoring binoculars in our survey are not necessarily bad optically. However, they inevitably, and perhaps unfairly, suffer when being compared to the best optics in the world."

View attachment 1439727
That’s from 2012 so its not the current Opticron Aurora

or the money, I don't think you can beat the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. I compared many binoculars at its price point, and it was my favorite. The on-axis sharpness and resolution of the Zeiss is very hard to beat. In the Porter's review, the resolution of the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 was 4.59 and the Opticron Aurora BGA 8x42 was only 3.40. This is how they tested resolution.
Dennis,

That review is from 2012 which tested the old Aurora. The new Aurora VHD has improved optics.

Edit: didn't see Richard's post above until now.

I really hope they make 8x32 version of the new Aurora.
I would buy a pair in an instant. No hesitation. The 8x42 are absolute monsters - perform way WAY past their price point - to the point where I actually handed back vastly more expensive optics in favour of the Aurora because the price performance ration just hit it out the park. I love them and will happily bird with them for the next 10 years ahead.

I would buy a pair in an instant. No hesitation. The 8x42 are absolute monsters - perform way WAY past their price point - to the point where I actually handed back vastly more expensive optics in favour of the Aurora because the price performance ration just hit it out the park. I love them and will happily bird with them for the next 10 years ahead.
Ratal. What have you compared your Aurora's too? Have you compared them to a Zeiss Conquest HD in on-axis resolution? I would try a pair of those, but they are really not available on this side of the pond. They are more of a UK binocular. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would buy an 8x32 Aurora VHD without hesitation as well. I'm waiting to see if Opticron eventually offers the 32mm version and waiting for Zeiss to make a new Conquest version. Whichever comes out first I'll buy. Could be a long wait though. I hope they don't take too long. I'd like to buy while I have the money. I just want to get one more quality binocular in the 1,000 usd range. I'd prefer 8x32. I already have 8x30 Nikon MHG which I'm very satisfied with, but I'd rather go with a slightly larger exit pupil for comfort with glasses for my next bino.

I would buy an 8x32 Aurora VHD without hesitation as well. I'm waiting to see if Opticron eventually offers the 32mm version and waiting for Zeiss to make a new Conquest version. Whichever comes out first I'll buy. Could be a long wait though. I hope they don't take too long. I'd like to buy while I have the money. I just want to get one more quality binocular in the 1,000 usd range. I'd prefer 8x32. I already have 8x30 Nikon MHG which I'm very satisfied with, but I'd rather go with a slightly larger exit pupil for comfort with glasses for my next bino.
Why not the new Zeiss SFL 8x40? Same weight as the 32 mm but with a bigger exit pupil. Too much money?

Ratal. What have you compared your Aurora's too? Have you compared them to a Zeiss Conquest HD in on-axis resolution? I would try a pair of those, but they are really not available on this side of the pond. They are more of a UK binocular. Thanks!

I tried my pair against three pairs of Zeiss Conquest, and each time the owners of each pair were shocked. The Aurora is a staggeringly sharp binocular and one I settled on after having a no limit budget. One thing I adore about the Opticron above every other bino I have ever looked through? The deliciously rich image. It truly is a wonderful instrument and one Ill own all my days.

I've not used the Aurora yet but given the very favorable comments and the fact that it seems to share DNA with the very impressive Nikon Monarch HG, I would lean strongly towards the Aurora.

Has there been a good independent comparison of the MHG and the new Aurora HD yet? I don't think I have seen one yet.

Yes, it’s a bit too expensive. I’d like to stay in the 1k usd range. It looks very nice though.

The moment you look through the Opticron Aurora, you will be VERY hard pressed to justify any other bin for your birding. I went in with 3000 UK Sterling to spend. I came out the other end of the weeks testing with the Opticron. And I have zero regrets.

I find it quite hard to disagree with anything Ratal has said about the Opticron Aurora. I wound up keeping the 10x42 Aurora. I seem to be going in a reverse aging direction, as the older I get the more I tend to like 10x as compared to my long standing 8x preference. The strong points as I see them are the absolute top quality image and the way both eyes focus for optimum user satisfaction. The only niggle I might find is the eye cups on mine I wish stayed in place a bit better in the fully extended position. The eye cups design is however exceedingly comfortable.

For those expressing a wish for a 32 mm Aurora, Pete has already said, more than once, that it won't happen. That leaves two choices labelled Opticron in a 32 mm binocular. The Verano (but stay far away from the 42 mm Verano) and the Traveller ED. The Verano for a bit larger, yet still compact binocular, and the more typically sized Traveller.

FWIW, the 42 mm Aurora feels smaller in hand than its actual size might indicate. Even small hands should not have many issues.

I find it quite hard to disagree with anything Ratal has said about the Opticron Aurora. I wound up keeping the 10x42 Aurora. I seem to be going in a reverse aging direction, as the older I get the more I tend to like 10x as compared to my long standing 8x preference. The strong points as I see them are the absolute top quality image and the way both eyes focus for optimum user satisfaction. The only niggle I might find is the eye cups on mine I wish stayed in place a bit better in the fully extended position. The eye cups design is however exceedingly comfortable.

For those expressing a wish for a 32 mm Aurora, Pete has already said, more than once, that it won't happen. That leaves two choices labelled Opticron in a 32 mm binocular. The Verano (but stay far away from the 42 mm Verano) and the Traveller ED. The Verano for a bit larger, yet still compact binocular, and the more typically sized Traveller.

FWIW, the 42 mm Aurora feels smaller in hand than its actual size might indicate. Even small hands should not have many issues.
Steve. Where do you get an Opticron Aurora on this side of the pond? They seem to be only available in the UK. I wouldn't mind giving one a whirl. Thanks!

The Opticron sounds nice, but doesn't it focus CCW to infinity? This would disqualify them for consideration, for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back