• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss Jena DF 7x50 Extremly early model? (1 Viewer)

Asomer

Slovenia
Hi,

I am trying to some research on these binoculars
Carl Zeiss Jena DF 7x
Serial number: 253733

From what i gather it is the military version of the Noctar model. But with an extremly low serial number.
I am thinking it has to be a test model from a very early stages of prodcution?
Does anybody have the zeiss blue book to provide some more info on this?

(More photos in attachemnts).

Kind regards,
AndrejView attachment DSC_1063.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1065.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_1063.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_1045.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1042.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 22
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

You really fooled me with the title, when I read CZJ DF 7x I stopped reading and thought of the cold war era east german DF 7x40 in green rubber...

Interesting pair, a bit too old for me to be able to contribute more than what was already mentioned!

Joachim

Addendum
I have finally got my Seeger out of the moving box. The O.P.'s binocular is on page 58. The Noctar 7x50 with Abbe-könig prisms was introduced in 1911/12 and it soon became the D.F. 7x, especially with the Kriegsmarine. Even the advent of the later Binoctar 7x50 from 1918/19 (the binocular erroneously identified by some as the O.P.'s, page 102 in 'Seeger, 1919-46') did not lead to the immediate demise of the Noctar in military use - it was that good.
I believe the O.P.'s glass is also mentioned on the Köhler list on page 792 of Seeger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back