• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss HT 10x54 vs Other “Big Eyes” (1 Viewer)

Lezeiss

United States
I am currently interested in getting some “big eye” binoculars in either 8x or 10x. I really want to like the Zeiss HT 10x54 as they seem to be a good size and I think they look great. I know a couple of people around here seem to like their 10x54s, but what has me hesitant are all the negative reviews and some YouTube videos I’ve seen online regarding build quality, smeary edges, and distortion. No one carries these for me to try out locally and I hate returning binoculars. Do those of you with experience, recommend these? Is there something else better in the alpha range to be considering (I know we all like Swarovski and I have a few models, but I’d rather these be Zeiss or Leica)? These will be used for many purposes (birding in low light, nature observation, a little astronomy, etc.) I have the 15x56 SLCs for astronomy, but those are pretty much tripod only for me (I like them a lot for that purpose, but not crazy about the SLC look and feel). I’d like a hand holdable big eye set. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I read that. I normally love his reviews, but on this one it made me more confused. I can’t tell if he loves it or hates it. All I learned is that he doesn’t like it for astronomy!
if you don't value very sharp edges, the HT 10x54 is a great glass!
The Swarovski 10x56 has somewhat sharper edges but is larger and heavier.

It's always a compromise, I like it when binoculars have a bit sharper edge, but at the same time I love my old Zeiss FL 10x56, it has advantages that other binoculars with these parameters do not have.
You can't go wrong with the HT 10x54 ... ;)

Andreas

Lezeiss,

you read you saying „low light birding, nature observation, a little astronomy but only handheld“.

The 10x54 is perfectly suitable for the first two usages; I use it for that and find it superb in low light.

I don‘t use it for astronomy (I have other instruments for that), but I am sure it would work for me on objects like the moon, Jupiter with it‘s moons, and all other objects where you you use only the high sharpness in the central part of the image, and where the modest edge sharpness is not an issue. It will work best under dark skies.
However, the HT has not been designed with astronomy as an intended use, but rather for nature observation or hunting at low light, dusk or dawn, so this is where it will excel.

I find the HT very well finished, robust, with excellent build quality and a nice strong design, good to hold and handle. The only limitation: edge sharpness is not a strong point of the HT, and that has been the main criticism. But off-axis sharpness is not relevant in every situation.

Find out where you can try one out, or order it from a vendor with a good return policy, just in case (some dealers still carry it, but as far as I am aware, it is out of production at Zeiss). Hope it works for you!

Pinac

Lezeiss,

you read you saying „low light birding, nature observation, a little astronomy but only handheld“.

The 10x54 is perfectly suitable for the first two usages; I use it for that and find it superb in low light.

I don‘t use it for astronomy (I have other instruments for that), but I am sure it would work for me on objects like the moon, Jupiter with it‘s moons, and all other objects where you you use only the high sharpness in the central part of the image, and where the modest edge sharpness is not an issue. It will work best under dark skies.
However, the HT has not been designed with astronomy as an intended use, but rather for nature observation or hunting at low light, dusk or dawn, so this is where it will excel.

I find the HT very well finished, robust, with excellent build quality and a nice strong design, good to hold and handle. The only limitation: edge sharpness is not a strong point of the HT, and that has been the main criticism. But off-axis sharpness is not relevant in every situation.

Find out where you can try one out, or order it from a vendor with a good return policy, just in case (some dealers still carry it, but as far as I am aware, it is out of production at Zeiss). Hope it works for you!

Pinac
Thank you. That is very helpful. That makes sense that it wasn’t intended for astronomy.

I did not know it was out of production by Zeiss as it still seemed to be current on their website. Maybe they are about to introduce big eye SF’s?

It would really surprise me if any of the big three introduced an advanced conventional 8 or 10X50/56 in the future. The numbers are just not there, much like 7X.
I think you may be right since the big three really haven’t introduced any new big eye binos in years. I think Zeiss‘ HTs in 2014, Leica’s UVs in early 2000s, Swarovski‘s ELs in 2009? I guess that’s what we call a clue! Maybe It is a dying format.

The other sport now uses a different type of optic for low light. I use mine SV, SLC, UV HD+ for terrestrial distance viewing, low light viewing and astronomy, however many astro enthusiasts do not spend $$$ on 10X50 glass either. Sales of them are down also, which is telling.

Lezeiss (post #6)
I may be wrong and you are probably right, the 8x54 and 10x54 seem still to be in production, unlike the smaller HTs (8x42, 10x42) which were replaced by the SF.

Lezeiss, at this level you really have only two choices now, HT 54 or SLC 56. Having the 15x56 already you know just how another SLC will handle, and might prefer the haptics of the Zeiss. But optically there is a significant difference in sharpness of the outer field, which is excellent on the SLC. And here we may be talking not merely about the HT being "not quite sharp", but obviously distorted in a way I've seen on some other Zeiss models, and wouldn't accept myself at that price. (Then again, some really don't care.) You could try to research more about this, but given how subjective judgment is, it would be so much easier just to buy both HT and SLC, compare them yourself, and return one.

Just a quick update. I received my HT 10x54s today and I am extremely happy so far. I’ve yet to experience any of the bad issues I had read previously online. Build quality and looks are perfect. Focus wheel is perfect. Very smooth. Crispness and brightness of the image is the best I’ve seen. I don’t really notice the smeary edges I’ve read about (or I’m not advanced enough for it to bother me). I do notice some distortion at the edges, but it doesn’t bother me at all. So far, these fulfill exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks to everyone for your comments above.

Наистина ще ме изненада, ако някой от големите три въведе усъвършенствани конвенционални 8 или 10X50/56 в бъдеще. Цифрите просто ги няма, подобно на 7X.
Много ще се радвам да видя нов Swarovski10x50NL или голям x50 Zeiss или x50 Leica. Но не видях никаква нова информация по този въпрос. Най -вероятно x50 NL ..

Can you please post in English.
Actually, no, he can't very easily, as his phone just keeps translating everything right back into Bulgarian. What bockos said was:
"I will be very happy to see a new Swarovski10x50NL or a big x50 Zeiss or x50 Leica. But I did not see any new information on this issue. Most likely x50 NL .."

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back