• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Hungary (1 Viewer)

I think you are right Lee, I can understand the gist of the feeling but it seems Zeiss has been pretty above board with it. I dont think anyone could reasonably expect them to divulge exactly which pieces come from where any more than they could expect them to divulge the exact cost of the components.

The BIG difference is, that Leica produces in Portugal and does not make a secret out of it. It has always been: "Made in Portugal", for decades.
Zeiss states "Made in Germany".
Come on!!!!!!

Jan

The BIG difference is, that Leica produces in Portugal and does not make a secret out of it. It has always been: "Made in Portugal", for decades.
Zeiss states "Made in Germany".
Come on!!!!!!

Jan

Jan

You are being playful again :-O

Zeiss never hid the fact that they produced some bins, like the Victory Compacts for example, at their Hungarian factory. This is the Zeiss situation like the Leica factory in Portugal. And I wonder how many components Leica Portugal sourced from Eastern Europe or other places?

The Conquest HD situation is quite complex but it is the legal guys in Oberkochen (you remember them? your favourite people? :eek!:) who decide what the Made in ? label should read according to the law.

Terra is straight-forward and clear.

I think Mike Jensen did a good job in explaining it as well as he did.

Time for a pre-Christmas pils I think B :)

Lee

Zeiss never hid the fact that they produced some bins, like the Victory Compacts for example, at their Hungarian factory.

Lee,

But they've always been very secretive about the source of the Diascopes - Hungary, Meopta?
No "Made in Germany", just "Made by Carl Zeiss."

John

Jan

You are being playful again :-O

Zeiss never hid the fact that they produced some bins, like the Victory Compacts for example, at their Hungarian factory. This is the Zeiss situation like the Leica factory in Portugal. And I wonder how many components Leica Portugal sourced from Eastern Europe or other places?

The Conquest HD situation is quite complex but it is the legal guys in Oberkochen (you remember them? your favourite people? :eek!:) who decide what the Made in ? label should read according to the law.

Terra is straight-forward and clear.

I think Mike Jensen did a good job in explaining it as well as he did.

Time for a pre-Christmas pils I think B :)

Lee

Lee,

And because Oberkochen rules, that's makes it right(?).

It's not a big deal, but it is an principal matter for me.

But that's only what it is.

Jan

PS

I was under the impression we were talking about the Far East route, not the (never denied) Hungarian route. Just a small detail;)

Lee,

But they've always been very secretive about the source of the Diascopes - Hungary, Meopta?

John

Hi John

I know even less about telescopes than bins, but several things occur to me.

Companies are not allowed to make up their own declarations about place of origin, these declarations are specified by law. It is true that these laws are not very demanding within the EU but they appear to be much tougher in the USA when you are exporting there. To this extent Zeiss cannot be secretive, they can only do as they are required by law to do.

Zeiss have been happily sending cartons of Victory Compacts and, I believe, Conquest (not HD series) bins around the world with Made in Hungary on them.

I don't know why you have seen a scope or its packaging marked simply Made by Carl Zeiss, without any country of origin. I can think of reasons how this could happen, for example with production being shared equally across borders or shifting back and forth across borders according to the production demands on the different factories, but I am just speculating.

I have no reason to believe anything other than that Zeiss abides by international laws governing declarations of origin, as imperfect as these laws can seem from time to time.

Lee

Lee,

John

John,

I'm always told by the Zeiss reps that this scope is manufactured by Meopta.
This was never issue for Zeiss AFAIK.
Maybe the Oberkochen suits came up with the idea that as long as Zeiss pays the bill, by LAW, they could claim it as made by Carl Zeiss.;)

Jan

I don't think there's much doubt about who made this Diascope.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1036595&postcount=37

I imagine the "Made in Czech Republic" sticker was applied to scopes shipped to countries with strict disclosure laws about origin. "Made by Carl Zeiss" is for everywhere else, but even that claim seems unlikely in this case.

Can't get much clearer than that Henry. 'Clear' as in, clear as mud :eek!:.

Lee

John,

I'm always told by the Zeiss reps that this scope is manufactured by Meopta.
This was never issue for Zeiss AFAIK.
Maybe the Oberkochen suits came up with the idea that as long as Zeiss pays the bill, by LAW, they could claim it as made by Carl Zeiss.;)

Jan

Those Oberkochen Suits are a law unto themselves :)

Leo

The Zeiss HT binoculars are designed
by an Austrian company, KISKA,
and one of the designers
where educated in northern Sweden,

Is that = 100% made in Germany?

o:)

i don't know, but that how things work now a days,
And probably why they HT:s work so well with gloves..

Last edited:
The Zeiss HT binoculars are designed
by an Austrian company, KISKA,
and one of the designers
where educated in northern Sweden,

Is that = 100% made in Germany?

o:)

i don't know, but that how things work now a days,
And probably why they HT:s work so well with gloves..

LOL

Kiska styled the external features of HT, and, I believe, Conquest HD and Terra ED to give a 'family' appearance.

Zeiss doesn't have designers (as opposed to optics and mechanical engineers) sitting around for months waiting for the next new product.

Lee

The fact that the old style (silver ones with black rubber applications) Diascopes were made by Meopta is pretty old stuff for the regular reader here on BF. The question is where the new version with complete black armor is actually produced. Do we have anyone here who could take a look at any "Made in ..." stickers on black Diascopes? Is it still "Made by Carl Zeiss"? Especially any info from Canada would be welcome as they do seem to have the most consumer-friendly laws over there.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back