• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss T*FL 8x32 v Zeiss Conquest 8x32 - discuss! (3 Viewers)

Picked up some secondhand conquests for a very good price, first views are very positive. Good to hear that there isn’t much “better” that I could get. Will enjoy comparing them to my Nikon 8x30E2, which maybe wider, but I expect their edges to be less than stellar.

Peter

I think I've tried most of the better 8x32s from Leica, Zeiss, Swaro during the time I've owned my 8x32 HD Conquests. All were returned in favor of keeping the Conquests. Not that a couple weren't equal or better, just that the price difference and my more casual use of optics didn't justify that higher price. The 8x32C HD, at least mine, are stupidly good. My favorite hiking binocular (my interest in birding is far more casual that you lot). I consider myself more of a naturalist than birder.

Last edited:
I've owned a Conquest HD 8X32 and an FL 8X32 for years. 2017 for the Conquest and the FL before that. Me and the FL 32 have never seen eye to eye. I've never thought it was the binoculars others say it is which in this case probably means it's me. Now the Conquest HD is another matter. From the first moment I used it I liked it so much I purchased it. One of the few times I actually looked thru a binocular before purchase. I've always thought it performed beyond its price. I'd be perfectly happy if it was the only binocular I had. The Conquest HD seems to have been shunned as of late here on BF for this reason or that reason when in reality it is an excellent binocular and about the best one can do up to the price paid...and above.

A picture from 2017:

DSC_0091.jpg

Me and the FL [8x]32 have never seen eye to eye. I've never thought it was the binoculars others say it is which in this case probably means it's me.
But still it would be interesting to know why? (I quite like the 10x but have never tried the 8)

I‘m pretty much in the same camp as Andres. The deeply saturated view of the HDs rivals that of the FL. Like many, the first look far exceeded my expectations, especially for the price. I suspect this is one of the main reasons so many speak so highly of it. But will it replace my 8x32 FL? Not likely. While I wouldn’t be crushed if I could only keep either one, I find the FL view at the very least holds its own with the HD but the FL’s weight, handling, and eye cups are a more pleasant experience. However, in the spirit of full disclosure the 8x40 SFL is the 8x glass I now find myself reaching for most often.

Difficult to choose between the two, especially when you are a Zeiss enthusiast. I have used the Zeiss for years and is still my go to when lights not an issue. They are excellent and bomb proof.

But still it would be interesting to know why? (I quite like the 10x but have never tried the 8)
For me at least...I kinda think it's eye placement. If perfectly centered(which is sometimes LESS than perfect with eyeglasses) it's good. When I have some time, I'll looking into it a little more.

I've enjoyed a couple of years with my Conquests but have decided to trade them in for, possibly, a pair of used Fls. Those just arrived with me today and confirmed me in my suspicion that it would be a lighter and ergonomically easier instrument to travel with. In late winter afternoon light they seemed brighter than my Conquests. The Fls are a definite possibility and I do like the rubber armouring which feels to me rugged and unpretentious, rather than cheap. Iam not 100% sure of the focusing which, although fast and smooth, actually feels less reassuring in its lightness than the superb focusing on my Conquests. As far as eyecups are concerned, no competition. Fls win hands down over the plasticky cups on the Conquests...modern Zeiss's achilles' heel? (My 8x42 sfs are similarly disappointing in this one respect.) Not sure what my final decision will be, but I do like the Fls!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back