• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL / Nikon 8x30 E11 (1 Viewer)

breydon

Hi Quick one I have a pair of Nikon E11s Superb bins. Waiting to have a look through some 8x32 FLs Any one tried both or have both in your opinion is the view as good as or better through FLs Thanks for any info Chris

Hello Chris,

I owned both but I now have only the Zeiss. The view through the EII is terrific, if a little soft, at its edge. The Zeiss has a narrower FOV and is very sharp, almost to the edge. I use the Zeiss because it is far more robust, and has the advantages of a roof glass: waterproof, dustproof, smooth and easy focus and more shock proof. I tend to be clumsy and forgetful, as I am an OAP, so the Zeiss meets my needs. My biggest complaint is that the focus lock pulls up, rather occasionally. The Zeiss may have the advantage in suppressing chromatic aberration

I hope that may help.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Hi Quick one I have a pair of Nikon E11s Superb bins. Waiting to have a look through some 8x32 FLs Any one tried both or have both in your opinion is the view as good as or better through FLs Thanks for any info Chris
As Pinewood says there are advantages to each. The EII will give you a way bigger immersive FOV with better 3D presentation than the Zeiss FL. The EII has the biggest FOV of ANY 8x binocular. Neither one has much CA to speak of but the Zeiss with the HD glass might be a little better at controlling it but most porro's including the EII show very little CA anyway. Most porro's transmit more light than a roof the EII included and I would say they are both equally bright with the Zeiss having a 2 mm aperture advantage. The Zeiss as Pinewood says are waterproof and more robust but the EII's are pretty tough also. Remember the EII is a third of the price of the Zeiss FL and that is for a NEW EII versus a used Zeiss FL. Either one is an excellent binocular but I think if you sold the EII to get the Zeiss you would miss the view of the EII. Optically, overall I think the EII will give you more WOW than the FL, especially, when you consider it's price. To get a comparable view to the EII in a roof you really have to move up to the top alpha's and spend $2K. I mean the Zeiss SF, Leica Ultravid HD plus or the Swarovski SV Swarovision.

Last edited:
I have both. I prefer the Zeiss in the field for the reasons Arthur gave and because it has better "hang", doesn't have stiff focus in the cold, and is great for butterflies with its 5 ft close focus. But the EII is a lot of fun, and so back when it was available for $240 new, I couldn't resist getting one. Also recommended it to lots of folks.

--AP

Most porro's transmit more light than a roof the EII included and I would say they are both equally bright with the Zeiss having a 2 mm aperture advantage.

They're not. Nowhere near as bright, in fact. You know the rather lousy transmission figures of the EII reported by Gijs, don't you?

The Zeiss as Pinewood says are waterproof and more robust but the EII's are pretty tough also.

No, they're not. Of the three I've seen in the field two were out of collimation after slight knocks. The SE seems a lot tougher than the EII.

To get a comparable view to the EII in a roof you really have to move up to the top alpha's and spend $2K. I mean the Zeiss SF, Leica Ultravid HD plus or the Swarovski SV Swarovision.

You know there's no Leica 8x32 HD Plus?

Hermann

BTW, optically the Habicht runs circles around the EII.

Last edited:
They're not. Nowhere near as bright, in fact. You know the rather lousy transmission figures of the EII reported by Gijs, don't you?

No, they're not. Of the three I've seen in the field two were out of collimation after slight knocks. The SE seems a lot tougher than the EII.

You know there's no Leica 8x32 HD Plus?

Hermann

BTW, optically the Habicht runs circles around the EII.

Herman,

The EII doesn't do too bad in this Allbinos review. In fact it did pretty well.

http://www.allbinos.com/270-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x30E_II.html

It was similar in many ways to the 8x32 SE. Especially in their transmission levels.

http://www.allbinos.com/214-binoculars_review-Nikon_SE_8x32_CF.html

As far as its ability to take hard knocks I've used mine since at least 2001 and it looks it. Currently its leatherette covering is peeling off it again but it doesn't bother the view. I never had any collimation problems with it. I only paid $235.00 for it.

Bob.

Last edited:
Multiple reasons were presented to explain why the FL is a better field binocular. I agree with all of them.
My EII succumbed after 5 months of daily use in a harsh, dry, environment. The armoring peeled, the eye cups fell off, collimation was slightly off, even though i never dropped them. The focuser became stiffer, and the diopter adjustment became looser there was dust inside the body....
I gave it to a student.
I still have the FL. Much better.

Chris, I`v owned both, still own one, optically the EII impresses next to anything, however it will never take the abuse of an Alpha roof if you`re inclined to be rough on optics.

For me though the FL would not be where I`d be looking these days, SV if you can afford it, check out the 8x30 Kite Lynx at the One stop nature shop near Titchwell, you may find it suffices alongside your RII.

John.

Thanks you everyone for your view. I won a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42s the old model on the Bay These I find superb but big round the neck they will be a keeper also of course the Nikon's will Just thinking of a nice 8x32

Anybody here remember Otto McDiesel, the Pannonian Sailor?

He was a research professional in the bird business here and in Europe. He was a real big advocate of the EIIs and he used them. But that was before Roof Prisms reached God Like status which was less than 10 years ago.

I wonder if he is still posting here under another name, and if he is, I wonder what binocular he uses. I remember him writing that he gave a colleague in Eastern Europe a Swift 804 for him to use.

Bob

I remember him quite well Bob but, sadly, he is one of the many friendly faces that fell by the wayside over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back