• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 ages? (2 Viewers)

My local optics shop is currently selling the Victory SF 10x42 new for about £1400, which seems like quite a whack of a sale saving. What I'd like to know is how would I tell the age of them - i.e. if they're that price because they've sat in the shop for millennia and might be an older version. Has there been much change over the years to binoculars that could be considered to be 'Victory SF 10x42' that could account for such a sizeable price change? Their product info is the stuff that's on the Zeiss website today, but I've known shops to sell old models with new descriptions in the hope that people won't notice! They look like the pictured below, so are black not that weird grey colour.
If I was able to rustle up a serial number, how would I go about checking the age of them? Many thanks to anyone who could help.
1687519839055.png

My local optics shop is currently selling the Victory SF 10x42 new for about £1400, which seems like quite a whack of a sale saving. What I'd like to know is how would I tell the age of them - i.e. if they're that price because they've sat in the shop for millennia and might be an older version. Has there been much change over the years to binoculars that could be considered to be 'Victory SF 10x42' that could account for such a sizeable price change? Their product info is the stuff that's on the Zeiss website today, but I've known shops to sell old models with new descriptions in the hope that people won't notice! They look like the pictured below, so are black not that weird grey colour.
If I was able to rustle up a serial number, how would I go about checking the age of them? Many thanks to anyone who could help.
View attachment 1516978
The newer version is black, older version is gray. You could ask them what model it is, you could also get the serial number and call Zeiss and ask them and get the approximate manufacture date. That sounds like a great deal, I’d jump all over those is I wanted another top of the line alpha 10x42. As far as sitting on the shelf for a millennia, I don’t know about that, but a few decades, maybe even a century and I think they’d be fine 😜.

For that price I would buy them. Zeiss will respond if you notice issues with them. You will have 10 year guarantee. I have Zeiss SF black bought back in 2016 and the serial number starts at 45, nowadays I recall someone saying that the serial number starts around 54.
You will not find a SECOND hand SF at that price.

I have Zeiss SF black bought back in 2016 and the serial number starts at 45, nowadays I recall someone saying that the serial number starts around 54.
I have a 43 which was manufactured in 2017!

No chance with the SF, I was surprised that my black model has such a low serial number, I saw gray models online that had a higher number.

Then called Zeiss and asked, especially with the SF models there is no consecutive number, the eyepiece sleeves are produced in Asia (China?), depending on the production processes, later models can have a lower serial number, your only chance is to call Zeiss.

My fear was that my model was a gray return where the rubber coating was simply changed, but the Zeiss technician expressly did not confirm this.

Andreas

Thanks you the explanation, thought it was a consecutive numbering.
I thought so too, but it's not the case with the SF 8/10x42 in particular.
I can't say whether it's the same with the SF 8/10x32, but since the pods are the same, it probably is.

Andreas

I have a 43 which was manufactured in 2017!

No chance with the SF, I was surprised that my black model has such a low serial number, I saw gray models online that had a higher number.

Then called Zeiss and asked, especially with the SF models there is no consecutive number, the eyepiece sleeves are produced in Asia (China?), depending on the production processes, later models can have a lower serial number, your only chance is to call Zeiss.

My fear was that my model was a gray return where the rubber coating was simply changed, but the Zeiss technician expressly did not confirm this.

Andreas
Hi Andreas,

I don't think that would have happened.

If a grey SF is returned to Zeiss Service they will only replace the armour with grey.

Gary

View attachment 1516978
£1400 brand new? Like to see that, id buy that myself, maybe two...

Hi Andreas,

If a grey SF is returned to Zeiss Service they will only replace the armour with grey.
Thank you Gary...

Then I noticed it too!

I returned the first SF due to some glare, probably one of the tubes wasn't blackened properly, the replacement lens had an almost identical serial number, the last two digits were a little lower than the first SF, both were black.;)

"the eyepiece sleeves are produced in Asia (China?)"

Really? That is a bit depressing.
I don't think so, the eyecups don't need any filigree processing.

The employee spoke of Asia, China was my question mark, but Asia could also mean Japan, Thailand, etc., not that a rumor arises here.;)

Andreas

The op said new, I've never seen a new SF for £1400 here in the UK.
Retail these are around £2399 new, if this is the case I'd jump on them quick.

Hi Andreas,

Gary
This cannot be correct as I know a pair 8 x 42 sent to zeiss GREY armour with slack focus that came back with BLACK armour and no explanation at all but the same serial number.

Last edited:
This cannot be correct as I know a pair 8 x 42 sent to zeiss GREY armour with slack focus that came back with BLACK armour and no explanation at all but the same serial number.
Interesting because Gary who posted this is the official Zeiss UK repair guy so he should know!

Interesting because Gary who posted this is the official Zeiss UK repair guy so he should know!
He must have a very bad memory then as the name of the guy who I sent them to at east coast binoculars was called Gary and he sent them to Germany GREY the repair was carried out Germany returned them to east coast binoculars and they sent them to me BLACK.

I guess Zeiss have changed their policy because I believe Gary no longer sends the SFs back to Germany but does the entire process in house.

I guess Zeiss have changed their policy because I believe Gary no longer sends the SFs back to Germany but does the entire process in house.
I have only had them back a matter of weeks and as I said east coast cannot do the focus repair so I am not guessing on anyone's policy I know for a fact.

After reading some posts on here about bad service from Zeiss I must say that my overall experience of a Zeiss service was very good and the binoculars were returned to me in excellent working order and are giving great views.
I was surprised they had gone from grey to black but I buy binoculars to look through not and at it all took a long time.... but so what.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back