• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 ages? (1 Viewer)

Looks like he may have changed his mind, but at least some of the rest of us get to benefit all the information here!

Last edited:
£1400 brand new? Like to see that, id buy that myself, maybe two...
You're welcome to them! I walked in and tried them and immediately decided they weren't for me. Nothing to do with the quality of them; I just didn't like the fit in my small hands. I've only just got some notifications for this thread, which is why I've not replied. Give Wessex Photo a call. They were that price when I started this thread, although I can't guarantee they have any in stock! They've got a few stores around Dorset though so you might be able to find ones that have some in. I think they were 1400 for the 8x42 and 1450 for 10x42.

My local optics shop is currently selling the Victory SF 10x42 new for about £1400, which seems like quite a whack of a sale saving. What I'd like to know is how would I tell the age of them - i.e. if they're that price because they've sat in the shop for millennia and might be an older version. Has there been much change over the years to binoculars that could be considered to be 'Victory SF 10x42' that could account for such a sizeable price change? Their product info is the stuff that's on the Zeiss website today, but I've known shops to sell old models with new descriptions in the hope that people won't notice! They look like the pictured below, so are black not that weird grey colour.
If I was able to rustle up a serial number, how would I go about checking the age of them? Many thanks to anyone who could help.
View attachment 1516978
Look up the MPC/SKU on Google. The latest black ones have MPC 524223-0000-000 and 524224-0000-000 for the 8x and 10x respectively.

Last edited:
I can confirm Victory SF are going for bargain prices here in Australia at the moment. AU$3000 (US$1890, GBP1500) for either the 8x42 or 10x42 from more than one retailer, albeit at most retailers they're still a lot more. I'm very tempted to sell my SFLs and pick up the Victory, but I'd lose some money on the SFLs and I'm not sure the optical quality will be that much better. Keen to hear anyone's thoughts.

I can confirm Victory SF are going for bargain prices here in Australia at the moment. AU$3000 (US$1890, GBP1500) for either the 8x42 or 10x42 from more than one retailer, albeit at most retailers they're still a lot more. I'm very tempted to sell my SFLs and pick up the Victory, but I'd lose some money on the SFLs and I'm not sure the optical quality will be that much better. Keen to hear anyone's thoughts.
I would hesitate to call those "bargain prices" but they are under warranty so could be sent to an authorised Ziess agent for service I did this with a grey pair in the UK.
They came back black and the focus system whether it was renewed or repaired was perfect.
One thing I would add is the case that comes with the SF is absolutely useless.Optically they take some beating IMHO.

The optical quality is better on the SF, they’re sharper, brighter and warmer at the same time, the edges and CA control is superior, and the FOV is much wider , if that’s of interest. The image also pops more in the SF. As far as losing a few bucks on the SFL, that’s the name of the game if you want to play. You will have the loss on the SFL (if bought new, crazy imo) but you may not lose anything if you sold the the SF if you got a reasonable deal. The value won’t change much after that initial loss from new to used , if taken care of the SF will hold its value well.

I compared the 8x32SF and the 8x40 SFL and felt the SF was better in almost every area. The 42 is even better, if the size and weight is not an issue.

Paul

That sounds like a great deal, you'd have to buy a demo unit to get the price that low in the USA.

In situations like this, instead of selling your other binoculars, why not just buy a different size to complement them? 8x to go with 10x, etc. The SF's are a little heavier, so you could keep the SFL and make them your portable bino for longer walks or a lighter load in a backpack, etc. Or for guests! What if someone visits you and and you want to take them birding :):)

That sounds like a great deal, you'd have to buy a demo unit to get the price that low in the USA.

In situations like this, instead of selling your other binoculars, why not just buy a different size to complement them? 8x to go with 10x, etc. The SF's are a little heavier, so you could keep the SFL and make them your portable bino for longer walks or a lighter load in a backpack, etc. Or for guests! What if someone visits you and and you want to take them birding :):)
I will never hand a novice optics person a good expensive pair of binoculars again, been there, done that. I handed someone a Leica a while back, we were observing some gulls in winter, and the glass had a little condensation from the temperature change from the car to outside. When I looked over at her she was spitting on the objective and trying to wipe with the bottom of her coat, 😳😵‍💫😡.

Now I have a few nice inexpensive binoculars just for the purpose.

Paul

The optical quality is better on the SF, they’re sharper, brighter and warmer at the same time, the edges and CA control is superior, and the FOV is much wider , if that’s of interest. The image also pops more in the SF. As far as losing a few bucks on the SFL, that’s the name of the game if you want to play. You will have the loss on the SFL (if bought new, crazy imo) but you may not lose anything if you sold the the SF if you got a reasonable deal. The value won’t change much after that initial loss from new to used , if taken care of the SF will hold its value well.

I compared the 8x32SF and the 8x40 SFL and felt the SF was better in almost every area. The 42 is even better, if the size and weight is not an issue.

Paul
Thanks, I appreciate that input. I've really enjoyed the 8x of the SFL and I'm considering getting the 8x42 SF as a result, although the 10x is also a very attractive option. If I had unlimited funds I would buy a pair of each but I'm going to have to make a decision here. It's either the gloriously wide and shake-free view of an 8x or the dusk penetration and supreme ability to hone in on birds in flight of the 10x.

I will never hand a novice optics person a good expensive pair of binoculars again, been there, done that. I handed someone a Leica a while back, we were observing some gulls in winter, and the glass had a little condensation from the temperature change from the car to outside. When I looked over at her she was spitting on the objective and trying to wipe with the bottom of her coat, 😳😵‍💫😡.

Now I have a few nice inexpensive binoculars just for the purpose.

Paul
That's the stuff of nightmares, truly.

I wish. Unfortunately I do have to sell the SFLs in order to fund the SFs and avoid being castrated.

My local optics shop is currently selling the Victory SF 10x42 new for about £1400, which seems like quite a whack of a sale saving. What I'd like to know is how would I tell the age of them - i.e. if they're that price because they've sat in the shop for millennia and might be an older version. Has there been much change over the years to binoculars that could be considered to be 'Victory SF 10x42' that could account for such a sizeable price change? Their product info is the stuff that's on the Zeiss website today, but I've known shops to sell old models with new descriptions in the hope that people won't notice! They look like the pictured below, so are black not that weird grey colour.
If I was able to rustle up a serial number, how would I go about checking the age of them? Many thanks to anyone who could help.
View attachment 1516978
Don't worry about the serial number, check the MPC (also called an SKU). 524223-0000-000 (or just 524223) for the 8x and 524224-0000-000 (or just 524224) for the 10x indicates the newer black models. It's good that you ask the question because I see some retailers are indeed still pushing the old grey ones somehow. I'm not 100% sure of the MPC on those but I believe it starts with 1 rather than 5. 117859 possibly for the 8x. I don't think EAN can be trusted because it appears to be unchanged, but again I'm unsure of this.

I bought the SF 8x42, they should arrive later this week. I'm glad I finally did it.

By the way OP this could be the information you're looking for: Zeiss COP Community response to your question. Old grey ones are SKU 524221 and 524222, new ones 524223 and 524224 as previously mentioned.

Should have just edited everything into one post but couldn't be bothered, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back