• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 8x42 and 10x42 evaluations and review (1 Viewer)

New ZR 8x43s

This is my first post, just joined BirdForum.

I have been a keen birder/hiker/wilderness flyfisher for many years, and have owned all sorts of binoculars. Many years ago I had a Zeiss Jena pair, and they are still around but need realignment. In recent years I travel with cheap lightweight Nikon bins.

A year or so ago, I was hiking in the New Zealand ranges, and encountered a couple of deer hunters who were sharing the hut. At their invitation, I accompanied them, near sunset, to view (glass!) some deer they had spotted. These guys had a set of bins in a small box which they handled fairly carefully, while I just slung my Nikons round my neck.

I thought that my Nikons were adequate, but the performance of these hunters’ Leica bins (Trinovid 8x42s, I think) was something else, especially in the lowish light. When I got home and researched them, I understood why they were handling them so carefully.

Naturally I hankered after a set of these, but I baulked at the cost. Hunting (and fishing) has a rather more direct investment/return equation than birding. I largely sublimated these hankerings by the simple expedient of buying my lovely spouse (also a keen birder and hiker) some 10x25 Ultravids for a birthday gift. Great optics, compact, light, robust, these did the business. She loves them, and I get to use them from time to time.

However, the memory of the effect of that 5.25 mm exit pupil remained, and when I decided to look out some decent 8x42s, I stumbled on these debates on the Internet about Chinese optics. At the time of stumbling, the ZR ED2 was newly released, and given the general tenor of the reviews, a punt seemed in order.

Well, these Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2s have definitely been a rewarding acquisition. Very high wow-factor. Good enough for me. I don’t get any of these ghosting crescents unless I adopt a very peculiar viewing position, and can’t get ghosting crescents at all with the eyecups at ¾ extension, just fantastic views.

Binocular durability has been debated in various forums. I don’t intend to throw these binoculars around, nor would I throw around my wife’s Ultravids; I look after my stuff.

This is my first post, just joined BirdForum.

I have been a keen birder/hiker/wilderness flyfisher for many years, and have owned all sorts of binoculars. Many years ago I had a Zeiss Jena pair, and they are still around but need realignment. In recent years I travel with cheap lightweight Nikon bins.

A year or so ago, I was hiking in the New Zealand ranges, and encountered a couple of deer hunters who were sharing the hut. At their invitation, I accompanied them, near sunset, to view (glass!) some deer they had spotted. These guys had a set of bins in a small box which they handled fairly carefully, while I just slung my Nikons round my neck.

I thought that my Nikons were adequate, but the performance of these hunters’ Leica bins (Trinovid 8x42s, I think) was something else, especially in the lowish light. When I got home and researched them, I understood why they were handling them so carefully.

Naturally I hankered after a set of these, but I baulked at the cost. Hunting (and fishing) has a rather more direct investment/return equation than birding. I largely sublimated these hankerings by the simple expedient of buying my lovely spouse (also a keen birder and hiker) some 10x25 Ultravids for a birthday gift. Great optics, compact, light, robust, these did the business. She loves them, and I get to use them from time to time.

However, the memory of the effect of that 5.25 mm exit pupil remained, and when I decided to look out some decent 8x42s, I stumbled on these debates on the Internet about Chinese optics. At the time of stumbling, the ZR ED2 was newly released, and given the general tenor of the reviews, a punt seemed in order.

Well, these Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2s have definitely been a rewarding acquisition. Very high wow-factor. Good enough for me. I don’t get any of these ghosting crescents unless I adopt a very peculiar viewing position, and can’t get ghosting crescents at all with the eyecups at ¾ extension, just fantastic views.

Binocular durability has been debated in various forums. I don’t intend to throw these binoculars around, nor would I throw around my wife’s Ultravids; I look after my stuff.
Well said. At this stage in my life I can buy any binocular I want, but I still take great care in handling even the cheap ones, if for nothing else resale value. Take care of your stuff & you will never have any trouble with moving on with the next one .... Gwen

I just got the oppurtunity to run the 8x43 ED2's. First off the ergo's are a dream fit my hands perfect. Build quality was good! Eyecups firm indent's no play, focus was smooth ever so slight backlash at infinity, bridge tension was firm not loose. Optically very sharp in center, fov falloff was gradual quite good in this respect, very pleasant relaxed view! I have seen worse in this regard! Over all a big thumbs up! No need to repeat all that's been posted just another user's affirmation! I would keep these if I didn't already have the 7x36 ED 2's! I'm very impressed with Zen-Ray, they make fine affordable glass! I can see alot of people using these they are a good binocular! Bryce...

I just got the oppurtunity to run the 8x43 ED2's. First off the ergo's are a dream fit my hands perfect. Build quality was good! Eyecups firm indent's no play, focus was smooth ever so slight backlash at infinity, bridge tension was firm not loose. Optically very sharp in center, fov falloff was gradual quite good in this respect, very pleasant relaxed view! I have seen worse in this regard! Over all a big thumbs up! No need to repeat all that's been posted just another user's affirmation! I would keep these if I didn't already have the 7x36 ED 2's! I'm very impressed with Zen-Ray, they make fine affordable glass! I can see alot of people using these they are a good binocular! Bryce...

Well I have had a wk with the 10x ED 2's now! Though they are going back, not the bin's fault I just can't get along with 10x anymore. When they are on tripod great love the format. As to optics I have only two negatives, dof for one, I have used others that did better in this regard not that these are terrible just noting! And though these do have a wider fov than most, there is some distortion and it is only noticable when you look for it! In regular use not a problem. So there you have it, another possitive confirmation on the Zen ED's. I opted to get another 7x36 as back-up, also to let other's use so I can keep mine around my neck!!! Still might get an 8x43 ED 1 to keep in the SUV? I'm just kinda loaded with 8x at the moment just curious how it performs in respect to the version 2? I might like the slower focus on the original for a vehicle glass!!! Bryce...

Was wondering if any of the owners of the Zen Rays 8x or 10x ED2 wear glasses when using them and if they have had any issues? The 15.2mm eye relief on the 10X looks like it could be marginal with glasses??

I have the 10 x 43 ED2 and find the eye relief marginal with glasses.

I also own the Hawke 8 x 43 Frontier ED, similar to the Zen 8x43ED, no problem with eye relief when wearing glasses.

Zen 10 x 43ED2 is for sale to anyone interested.

Was wondering if any of the owners of the Zen Rays 8x or 10x ED2 wear glasses when using them and if they have had any issues? The 15.2mm eye relief on the 10X looks like it could be marginal with glasses??

i have a pair of 8x43ED2 and 10x43ED2 and i wear glasses w/bifocals and i do not care for the eye relief on the 10x the 8x are way more comfortable to use and i can see good with or without my glasses while using the 8x and i also after this mon. will be sending the 10x back but these 8x are awesome
the 10x are nice but just not for me

Ted

Well after much thought I ordered another 8x43 ED II. I will be keeping this one! I don't know if it's the design or what? But, it was finnicky to get this glass set to my eye's? Now that I have them set they are quite pleasing to use! I'm not going in to a big review because I would be just repeating alot that has already been said. Just a thing of note, Focus? I can't compare to the original version since I haven't handled it. I think this glass has to much travel for focus! I acctually like a little slower focus easier for me to get that last little bit of sharpness! I also like the focus to be of the same rate near to far. I think that is one of the reason's I had a hard time initially with this glass as well as the 10x version? Slow at near faster at mid to infinity, to me it was like a shallow dof when in fact I was over shooting because the focus rate increased? Is this me and the glass I have or have others had this happen? I have and had fast focussing glass while I don't care for it I have been able to adapt! Now on the 7x36 I have no qualms what so ever with the focus, in fact it has such a good dof that very little focus is needed most of which is the near focus! So yes these can be considered slow focus in respect to rotations of the focus wheel but, in fact there is alot of wasted travel in the focus? That is my only problem with these it's not a deal breaker because the view is quite astounding considering there price! To sum it up for me, change the gearing to adjust focus travel so there is a little less and keep the rate closer to the same from near to infinity! That's my humble opinion! I difinetly have a spot for them now!!! Bryce...

hmmmmm.......well, brightness isn't everything....

Here we have three binoculars of nearly equal size and exit pupil. Without analysis, we would expect them to be equally bright. But we can see from the illumination data that the Fujinon provides an effective 932 out of 1272 toal sq mm of illumination, far more light to the exit pupil than either the Bushnell Legend or the ZEN ED2, even though it is slightly smaller in total light gathering area.
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2407

The ZRS seems very slightly brighter than the ED2 (to my eyes)

Last edited:
In day, low light, and night. The Zen appeared to have slightly more color depth while the ZRS appeared slightly brighter with less color in bright daylight - if that makes any sense. I focused on a tree at the bend of a road until nightfall. There was small patch of whiteness (moonlight) that was very slightly whiter with the ZRS. However, I could still see the bend of the (dirt) road with both. I found it extremely hard to tell the difference that I have to keep checking repeatedly.

Take into account that i'm 49 years old and I have to wear reading glasses (glassing without) and I have probably lost some ability in my eye's pupils to dilate

Last edited:
wow sounds like the ZRS would make a good gift for the grandson,i was reading another thread where the vista and the zrs did fog up on the lenses from there breath hitting the lens in sub temps where the ED2 did not but for half the price sounds like a good buy just don't breath on the lens,right.
they will be used for hunting but i might try a pair of the ZRS

All bins will fog externally when they are colder than the dew point.

The important fogging is the internal kind that takes forever to go away (ah, the good old days!).

It appears that most, on this message board at least, purchased the 7x36 ED rather than the other magnifications. Is the 7x36 a better bin than the 8x42?

In most respects it just different: if you like a wider, smaller, 7x rather than a larger 8x then you'll like it.

But the glare reduction fixes on the 7x36 ED2 reduced the remaining stray light issues to below those seen on the 8x42 ED2. And that for me (along with it's wide FOV and 5mm exit pupil in a smaller package the same as a typical 8x42) that's a big win.

I still suspect more people have bought the 8x than the 7x. Even on this forum where I suspect there are more folks who like 7x than in the wider birding population.
I think it's the best of the "Chinese ED" bins available now.

I have never tried a 7x bin.

As it is, I can't tell the difference in FOV between several bins I have.

Is there a side by side picture comparison (size) somewhere on this board?

Thanks Kevin.

Last edited:
I have 10x ED2 and 7x ED2. I split my time half and half between two of them.

I'm finding myself doing this too though with different 7x and 10x. Depending on habitat and task picking the bin I prefer.

I could even go higher with the high mag bin if it has IS: 7x and 15x might be a useful pairing.

Though I can see folks who want only one bin being quite happy with a wide 8x for all habitats.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back