• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ZRS HD (2 Viewers)

What I did was to actually request they tweak the focus for more wheel travel at distance at the gladly sacrificed expense of loosing some close focus distance. If they needed to do that to correct the problem. At any rate they will call when they are working on it to see what the deal is

Now that was a smart idea. I would be willing to sacrifice a few feet of close focus to have more play with the long distance focusing. I hate that feelling of not having enough to tinker with in terms of adjusting the focus...especially at longer distances.

I'm starting to like the focus of the ZEN style open bridge binoculars a lot. They really are no slower in close than anything else and they have the resolution to take advantage of the more precise focus offered at distance by the slower wheel rate.
The Promaster may be a bit slow as well. But as I use it for sparrows and ducks and such at 10x, it is not a problem. The 8x version might not be my ideal warbler glass. I tend toward various 8x32s there, or a porro.

Last edited:
I received the Zen Ray ZRS 8 x 42's early this week. I have been spending most of my evenings in the great white north enjoying the view through them. It has been pretty cold even for Michigan this early March.

I am fairly new to the optic realm so please be patient with me. I'm a bowhunter, not a birder or writer. So if you see my knuckles dragging, just nudge me, OK?

The ZRS's are the first roof binoculars I have experience with. I've had an old pair of pentax 7 x 21ucf mini porro's that have been in my catquiver (no it's not made from the skin of a cat) for the last dozen years or so. Those mini's have served me well, but my eyes ain't what they used to be.

The ZRS's are as far as I can tell one heck of nice binocular. As I said I'm no expert but I can say they sure are easy to look through. They are clear, quick to focus, and are most of all bright even in low light conditions. I have been to the local Bass Pro Shop and have compared them to the Nikon Monarch 8x, Leupold Cascade 8x and Mojave 8x. In my limited experience the ZRS out classes the monarch and cascade. Of course I didn't bring the ZRS in the store with me but they were in the car so immediately after looking at those in the store I had to look through the Zen's. To be fair the Mojave - to my eyes -seemed to have favor over the ZRS's as far as total image sharpness and color fringing(CA?). But, as Steve might say, not by much.

The only thing I don't like about the ZRS's is the size. I guess I have been using the mini's for so long I'm used to their light weight and size so I am going to look for a mid size bino(6x30 or 7X36). I do not plan on sending the Zens back even if they are a little to big to suit me. They are just too nice not to keep. My mother is in need of a good binocular to watch the humming birds from her deck and other critters in her country back yard. Her birthday is next week!

Thanks for letting me ramble but most of all thanks for the great tips and good reading. I have learned a great deal from those who post here.

I'm still in the market for those mid size bino's so maybe if I'm lucky I'll find one I like in time for the upcoming spring turkey season.

Steve, I was not disappointed.

Best Regards,
Tom aka..............red.........a new bino junky!

Last edited:
Steve, I was not disappointed.

Best Regards,
Tom aka..............red.........a new bino junky!

Well, glad you liked them. One binocular to consider for a good light, bright compact is the Swift Eaglet 7x36. What your budget is, I have no idea, but these go for around $410 or so these days. Worth every bit of it too.

As far as the size goes, most 8x42s are about the same size. An inch this way or that. But the weight comes up as an issue later. So I really liked the Monearchs for weight the years I had them. Some 20-22 oz is very nice. 25-29 oz is tolerable.

Steve, I have my eye on the viper 6x32. Problem in my area there are no dealers that carry that line. I know you favor the swift 7x36 and I know you really like them -- but in your opinion are the 6x32 vipers in the same league as the swift?

The Swift does have a larger objective........................I see?

Steve, I have my eye on the viper 6x32. -- but in your opinion are the 6x32 vipers in the same league as the swift?

The Swift does have a larger objective........................I see?

When I originally bought the Swift, I got both it and an 8x42 Viper. The Swift I thought was a bit brighter than the Viper, but overall they are pretty close optically. My impression is that the 8x32 Viper and the Swift are really close. But I have never seen a 6x32. I've seen a couple of posts elsewhere from Ilya Koshkin praising the 6x32 Viper. He thought it may well be the best modern 6x binocular.

I think the 7x36 offers a couple of advantages over the more typical 32mm. First,yes there is a little more glass, and the 5+mm exit pupil gives the Swift a twilight advantage over the rest of the mid price 8x32. Also the 7x image appears a bit brighter and is easier to hold steady. It makes a nice sharp compact good in twilight. The fov is OK, but could be a little larger to have a broader appeal.

When I originally bought the Swift, I got both it and an 8x42 Viper. The Swift I thought was a bit brighter than the Viper, but overall they are pretty close optically. My impression is that the 8x32 Viper and the Swift are really close. But I have never seen a 6x32. I've seen a couple of posts elsewhere from Ilya Koshkin praising the 6x32 Viper. He thought it may well be the best modern 6x binocular.

I think the 7x36 offers a couple of advantages over the more typical 32mm. First,yes there is a little more glass, and the 5+mm exit pupil gives the Swift a twilight advantage over the rest of the mid price 8x32. Also the 7x image appears a bit brighter and is easier to hold steady. It makes a nice sharp compact good in twilight. The fov is OK, but could be a little larger to have a broader appeal.

Yes, I have seen his posts but he doesn't go into much detail about it.

I have found a few online stores that carry the little swift. I read a thread a while back about the CFT(latest model) and one of the dealers is offering one for around $350 but the description does not convince me it is the CFT. I have sent an email and I am waiting the response to its true identity.

You guys got me hooked. I just might have to order one of each...

Thanks for your time and patience Steve. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Red

P.S. I read that you like to bowhunt. I've been hunting turkeys with a bow for quite some time now but they usually have their way with me........LOL.......so I guess you could say I am a birder too?

Last edited:
Sure would be nice if Zen Ray would make a 7x36 HD or ED. I am very impressed with the ZRS HD, but a smaller version would be absolutely perfect for my intended uses.

What are your thoughts?

Well, it's perhaps time to post a bit more here. I now have the Vipers back and have had them for a few days now. I also sent in my Nikon Monarch for an alignment check up as well. So I now am confident that there are no issues negatively affecting the view through either the Viper or the Monarch.

So, the decision on my part becomes which of the four Zen Ray binoculars do I wind up keeping and which go back. Right now my assessment of the binoculars is that there is no contest between the Monarch and the ZRS, both 8x42. I will keep the ZRS and the Monarch will go up for sale. The chief issues with the Monarch are the far superior depth of focus, the wider, flatter field of view and superior resolution of distant targets with the ZRS. The ZRS also has a locking diopter and much more solid eye cups. To the Monarch's credit, it does have a more neutral color bias than the ZRS and it is also lighter.

I will also keep the 10x42 ZRS and sell the Viper. This is largely due to the fact, I really do not use 10x binoculars much. The ZEN ED is a better binocular than either the ZRS or the Viper, but not much. So, the ZEN ED 10x43 will go back, the Viper is up for sale, and I will keep the ZRS. This is largely due to the simple economic fact that I will be able to get at least twice as much for the Viper as the ZRS will cost.

Additionally, when I got right down to a serious side by side with the ZRS and the Viper, there was no winner in what I could see in terms of detail. If I could see it with the Viper, I could see it with the ZRS. If I couldn't see it with the ZRS, I couldn't see it with the Viper either. I do have to say that the Viper appears brighter and certainly has a more neutral color bias than the ZRS.

I would suggest to Zen Ray that the future production runs of the ZRS might well be better served with a bit of a coating change to brighten up the image appearance just a bit. This is really the only criticism of the ZRS I can offer. The color is just a bit too reddish. But for $200 or so, it is still a heck of a bargain.

So, I will come out of this with the 8x43 ZEN ED, and both 8x and 10x42 ZRS. The ZRS will become the primary vehicle binoculars, replacing the Monarch and Viper. The 10x43 ZEN ED will go back.

Hi Steve

So, it looks as though you will end up with a gaggle of ZR's

Just curious....what other bins are you currently keeping in the 7 or 8 mag range outside of the ZR 8x43 ED's? (in your non-vehicle collection)

Thanks

Richard

Hi Steve

Just curious....what other bins are you currently keeping in the 7 or 8 mag range outside of the ZR 8x43 ED's? (in your non-vehicle collection)

Richard

Right now my major use binoculars are a Swift 7x36 Eaglet, the Promaster ELX ED 8x42 for wet rainy day use due to their repellent coatings and the ZEN ED 8x43.

Other binoculars I have and use frequently are Leupold Yosemite 6x and 8x30, Bausch & Lomb Custom 7x26 Custom, Swift Eaglet 7x25, a Swift Audubon 8.5x44 porro, and a couple of old Swift 8x40 Nighthawk wide angle binoculars. One of these is the first binocular I ever bought, and learned to bird with. The Nighthawk has a 500' fov. You could add a Vortex Fury 6.5x32 there as well, but I sold it to my brother.

I have, but don't use and should sell, a Leupold Gold Ring 9x35 IF porro and a Steiner Predator 8x30 IF porro.

I have, and need to send to Nicholas Crista, a Swift Trilyte roof prism binocular which is the second binocular I ever bought. This would be for sentimental reasons only, since it will not be in the class of the others I have.

So your ZR ED's are your fair weather bins while the PM's are for less than ideal weather.

Do you find that much difference between the 2 to justify keeping the ZR's?

So your ZR ED's are your fair weather bins while the PM's are for less than ideal weather.

Do you find that much difference between the 2 to justify keeping the ZR's?

No, there is no way I can optically separate those two 8x binoculars. One is sort of the backup to the other. The coatings are about the only practical difference there is. Even then, it might not be much of a difference. There is the field of view, which will be an issue for some, but the Promaster is really wide enough, and besides, mine is wider than listed. I have had the Promaster out in the wet and miserable conditions, but not the ZEN.

Steve

So, in the 10x range, the ZRS is close enough to the ED's, for government work? :smoke:

Richard

Actually the ZEN ED 10x43 is a superior instrument. But the ZRS seems as good as the Viper and better than a Monarch. I may well yet decide to not wind up with a 10x at all and send the 10x ZRS back as well. If I were a more serious user of 10x, the ZEN ED would be kept. I'm really looking at a 12-15x binocular to replace 10x. I wish the Viper came in 12x50, and I'm interested in the Minox 13x56. Therefore, I am likely to turn the Viper into binocular bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back