• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZenRay is dead and gone (1 Viewer)

look at the 5th pic- the one with a pic of the tripod mount cap- notice the emblem..... Pat
It sure does look like the letters ZR all clouded up. Those of us who were familiarized here with the ZenRay brand and buying the different versions over the years, remember how Charles pitched their sales here. At that time they were excepted as being a decent binocular for the price. They were my first exposure to a inexpensive China made binocular. Many liked them including me. My samples quality wise, gave me not much to complain about given their price. Yes they had their flaws. When Charles started having problems with his quality control and other issues, they soon fell out of favor here. Their demise predicted by some here soon came to be. Some here still occasionally comment on how much they still like their ZenRay.

Are any/many ZRs still being used these days? I don't think I've ever seen one, but it seems most were sold in the States. I've never seen a Maven in the field either, and maybe only a couple of Vortex (although when I was on the West Coast recently I did see two or three Vortex, interestingly, at least two carried with some form of harness).

So says a Member , with little time here and with little to no history with this Forum or ZenRay. Give me a break. What we do not need is encouragement to cause trouble among disagreeing members. Let it alone, that section on ZenRay harms no one.

This was sarcasm, i added that " ;D " to indicate comedy.
I am not part of the fake outrage machine culture, but i do poke fun occasionally. :)

Are any/many ZRs still being used these days? I don't think I've ever seen one, but it seems most were sold in the States. I've never seen a Maven in the field either, and maybe only a couple of Vortex (although when I was on the West Coast recently I did see two or three Vortex, interestingly, at least two carried with some form of harness).
I don't have either a ZenRay or Maven, but do have a Vortex Viper I was using a for a couple of weeks. (No strap even connected on that one; either in case or in hand.)

I have some Zen-Ray ED2 7x36. I brought them in the closing down sale reduced to $200. They are excellent, they are my go to birding binocular.
I am tempted to buy another ED2 7x36. I wonder if these have been improved in anyway, since Charles imported his inventory for sale here in the USA.

I regret selling my ED2 7x36. A year or so after I sold it, is when they went under. So I purchased the Sightmark 7x36 Solitude hoping it would replace it, but the optical quality is not as good as the Zen Ray ED2 7x36 I had.

I'm very tempted to purchase one of these...

They might be made by the same manufacture but they do not look the same / design wise. The ones on Amazon look exactly like the couple of ZenRays I owned, same design except with no labeling of any kind that I could see from the listing pictures.
I am reasonably sure they are a clone. They have the exact same specs and except for the armor look pretty identical. Look at the design of the bridge, placement of the brand badge, size of the focus wheel and tripod exit cap, smooth interior with recessed objective, eyecup shape, diopter ring width...

1686347748619.png2144_zen8x42_1.jpg

I am reasonably sure they are a clone. They have the exact same specs and except for the armor look pretty identical. Look at the design of the bridge, placement of the brand badge, size of the focus wheel and tripod exit cap, smooth interior with recessed objective, eyecup shape, diopter ring width...

View attachment 1514616View attachment 1514615
Though they do appear to be a clone visually, I can confirm the Zen-ray I had were much better optically than the two separate Sightmark I've had, and still have one of them.

I have some Zen-Ray ED2 7x36. I brought them in the closing down sale reduced to $200. They are excellent, they are my go to birding binocular.
This forum may not be dead, but my Zen-Rays are!

Getting my scope out of the car, the tripod caught on my binocular case and dragged it out. The bins, in the case, fell onto ground with only the lightest of thuds. They are now totally out of collimation!

Drat!

I suppose it isn't worth having it professionally repaired.

With some binoculars they can be cut in half to make a monocular, but this doesn't look like one of those.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back