• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zuiko 70-300 (1 Viewer)

mickbe74

Hi all,maybe some one could answer a few questions for me,firstly i have a olympus e410 with which i use a zuiko digital 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens,would i be able to get a tele converter for this lens and if i can,what exactly would it do,would it enable me to take pictures at greater distances ?,any advice would be appreciated by a total novice.Thankyou.

Hi Mick. The Olympus EC-14 works with the 70-300 lens and increases the maximum focal length to 425mm, This has the effect of making the subject larger in the frame. It is a very high quality product but there are one or two drawbacks. Firstly it is expensive at over £300. It reduces the maximum aperture of the lens by 1 stop, making it less bright in poor light (I don't use mine in the winter). Finally, the extra reach means that any tiny movement by you or the bird is exaggerated. Unfortunately, the E-410 doesn't have image stabilization to help with movement by the photographer. Using a tripod would help overcome this, though. If you can find somewhere with one in stock they might let you try it on your camera to see how you get on with it.

Here are two shots taken with the 70-300 + EC-14 on my E-510 (your camera with image stabilization). You can decide if it is worth the trouble and expense.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/289903/ppuser/53267
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/289854/ppuser/53267

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the swift reply,i've spoken to people who've told me there are much cheaper versions available(about half price) i wonder whether this means much poorer quality,anyway thanks for the advice i definately won't buy anything unless i try it out first.

The advantage of the Olympus teleconverters is that they have been designed to work seamlessly with the camera and lenses without interfering with the electronic functions. There might be cheaper alternatives but I don't know if they would still allow auto operation of the lens. Let us know how you get on.

Ron

I think i might hold off a while,i've been using the zoom facility on the camera to review the pictures i've taken and some arn't that bad and i'm saving for a scope at the minute thanks for the input Ron & Christian
Mick

Last edited:
Hi all,maybe some one could answer a few questions for me,firstly i have a olympus e410 with which i use a zuiko digital 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens,would i be able to get a tele converter for this lens and if i can,what exactly would it do,would it enable me to take pictures at greater distances ?,any advice would be appreciated by a total novice.Thankyou.

my advise from personal experience, don't use it with the 1.4TC the IQ will be less and for you shooting in your country where there are no much sun light the max. aperture will be 7.9 it will require high ISO which means even less IQ.

don't ever think of the 20 TC, i will not work with the Zuiko 70-300mm, don't belove the customer reviews on amazon, they are pure lies.

my advise save, more and get the Sigma 50-500mm (1000USD) or the new 140-400mm (700USD).

I think the Sigma 135-400 lens was discontinued many months ago.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/popup/end_of_sale/lens.html

Sigma also discontinued the 300-800 recently, which is no surprise given its very limited market, and the only four-thirds lens over 300mm currently available is the Bigma.

Ron

maybe thats why the price of the 300-800 has dropped down, thought it is still expensive. well i just wish they make a fast 400 prime lens, that would be perfect.

I have been considering a teleconverter for my 70-300 lens on an E-510. Having researched them endlessly it would seem that you might loose autofocus with the 2X teleconverter. I am considering the 1.4x teleconverter. It is far cheaper than buying a 400mm or larger lens. Was happy to see the excellent sample pic's posted. The teleconverter would also increase the effect of shake and vibration.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back