• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro 8 x 32 ELS - now improved? (1 Viewer)

Blincodave

Swaro 8x32 ELS improved?

I tested some brand new 8 x 32 ELs today in very dull and overcast conditions. To my eyes, these bins have definitely been upgraded. The focus seemed identical to the latest 8.5 ELs whereas the early models had a noticeable internal 'spring moving' noise. Also, I'm sure the optics have been tweaked - they seemed brighter and sharper than the early examples I looked at a couple of years back. I was very impressed. They always had the best ergonomics of any bino.

Anybody else drawn similar conclusions from recent testing or purchase?

Dave

Last edited:
Blincodave said:
I tested some brand new 8 x 32 ELs today in very dull and overcast conditions. To my eyes, these bins have definitely been upgraded. The focus seemed identical to the latest 8.5 ELs whereas the early models had a noticeable internal 'spring moving' noise. Also, I'm sure the optics have been tweaked - they seemed brighter and sharper than the early examples I looked at a couple of years back. I was very impressed. They always had the best ergonomics of any bino.

Dave
Yes, Dave, I just bought a Pair. A few months ago I bought a pair and returned them, exchanging them for the 10x, as I wasn't happy with the spring clicking sound in the focusing wheel. I splashed out on the 8x a few days ago as an add-on pair of 'knockabouts', as the 10x are a bit awkward when walking with the kids, and not ideal for working in close foliage (although I do love the 10x for 'serious' days.) The new pair of 8x I just bought got a good workover in the shop, no spring-clicking, can't swear the image is better but it's as bright and sharp as any image I can imagine. Feels like I'm not using bins at all, which is my acid-test, as I'm not technical about optics. I tested them against the 8x32 Ultravids (which I'd planned to buy), but preferred the Swaros. Not as compact, but more comfortable in the hand, and to my eye (only to my eye, I stress, no offence to all you Leica lovers) the Swaros were brighter. And the FOV is wider. I wish Swaro would drop the silly bag though, it's a bit of an insult. I agree with you on the ergonomics, one-hand bins, very comfy, although it depends on taste and shape of one's hand, I suppose. I'd recommend the 8x32, they may become my bins of choice. The kids are now on a diet of bread and water until I pay off the credit card debt. They can inherit my two pairs of Swaros when I go to the great reserve in the sky.

[The new pair of 8x I just bought got a good workover in the shop, no spring-clicking, can't swear the image is better but it's as bright and sharp as any image I can imagine.

Hi Sancho,

That's interesting - so your 8 x 32 ELs have an identical focus system to the 10 x ELs?

Also, leaving aside the obvious differences in magnification, FOV etc, do you think they are equally as sharp as the 10x 42 ELs?

Kind Regards

Dave

I really agree about the 8x32 EL ergonomics... great in my hands! However, I've noticed substantially more "pin cushion" effect (bending while panning a straight edge) in the Swaro 8x32 over Ultravid and Trinovid 8x32... anyone notice this?

Blincodave said:
[The new pair of 8x I just bought got a good workover in the shop, no spring-clicking, can't swear the image is better but it's as bright and sharp as any image I can imagine.

Hi Sancho,

That's interesting - so your 8 x 32 ELs have an identical focus system to the 10 x ELs?

Also, leaving aside the obvious differences in magnification, FOV etc, do you think they are equally as sharp as the 10x 42 ELs?

Kind Regards

Dave
Yes I think they're at least as sharp. I'm no expert, though, and maybe it's my eyes. I'll use both, obviously there are situations where either has advantages over the other, but if I were to choose only one for general purpose use it would have to be the 8x, based on ergonomics and brightness. About pincushioning - I notice that someone mentioned the same about the Nikon EII 8x30. Apparently these are non-waterproof, non-nitrogen porros with superb optics, and FOV of 8.8 degrees, but I couldn't locate a pair anywhere in Ireland to test. If you can find a pair, and like them, you could save yourself a lot of money.

Last edited:
Brad_A said:
I really agree about the 8x32 EL ergonomics... great in my hands! However, I've noticed substantially more "pin cushion" effect (bending while panning a straight edge) in the Swaro 8x32 over Ultravid and Trinovid 8x32... anyone notice this?
A little pincushioning, but not enough to bother me. I didn't compare with the Ultravids in terms of pincushioning. Is it a feature of all fairly wide-angle bins?

Blincodave said:

Dave

I agree, the ELs have been improved. Now they are easily as good as anything out there.

1-2 years ago I compared an "old" EL 10x42 with the Leica Ultravid 10x42 and to me the EL had a rather "cold" image, with a slight "bluish" color to it.

A few months ago I tested a brand new EL 10x42 against a Leica Ultravid 10x42 and found, much to my surprise, that the colors of this EL was much closer to the Leica. In addition, I felt the EL was both a tad brighter and showed slightly more contrast. I then compared it to a Zeiss 10x42 FL and found the two images almost identical, but again slightly more contrast in the EL! Now, if they only could do something about that eye relief...

TTT said:
I agree, the ELs have been improved. Now they are easily as good as anything out there.

1-2 years ago I compared an "old" EL 10x42 with the Leica Ultravid 10x42 and to me the EL had a rather "cold" image, with a slight "bluish" color to it.

A few months ago I tested a brand new EL 10x42 against a Leica Ultravid 10x42 and found, much to my surprise, that the colors of this EL was much closer to the Leica. In addition, I felt the EL was both a tad brighter and showed slightly more contrast. I then compared it to a Zeiss 10x42 FL and found the two images almost identical, but again slightly more contrast in the EL! Now, if they only could do something about that eye relief...

When I´m wearing glasses I find that eye-relief isn´t a problem with ELs (or practically any other bins) when I use glasses of the old small round-frame type. This advice I got from a Bill Oddie book. The glasses (John Lennon type) sit further back in my eye-sockets and the eyecups of the bins are therefore closer to my eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back