• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If no CP4500, then what? (1 Viewer)

eric s

I'm headed off to Maine for a week vacation at the end of the month. I'll be bringing my ATS-80 HD with me (along with my Canon 10D). I'd like to do some digiscoping. I could use my 50mm f1.8, but I've been thinking about getting a smaller, more portable digital camera. This means I have to start ordering things now so I'll get them in time to practice some before I leave.

The Nikon CP4500 is effectively a no go. I can't find one, even a referb at www.nikonmall.com. So I checked out this link:
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/mr/ds/ds_combinations.htm

The options seem to be the G2 (maybe something newer? Maybe the list is out of date?) or a A20.

Doesn't list many options. Anyone have an ideas? On these or something else which would mate well with that scope?

Eric

well you could get a used 4500 off ebay, but if you can wait i feel a new swivel lens will be coming out soon, hopefully the size of the sq with atleast 4mp and all the manual controls of the 4500, oh and a faster autofocus with a more reliable area focus, i hate when the cp990 decides to focus on something else because it has better contrast than my bird. A lot of rumors are going around that the swivel lens line is dead, but i wouldn't believe any of that bull:t:

I don't normally deal with ebay, my fear of scams is high enough that I'd rather not.

But you are right, there are 6 for sale there, 4 from the same company, one from a person and one from another company (but it's a refurb with a MAC warrenty.) So I could go that route. I guess I'll have to think about it seriously.

The idea of waiting is appealing, but if I want to use it on my vacation, I have to get it in the next few weeks. I doubt the next camera will be on the market by then :)

Eric

eric s said:
I don't normally deal with ebay, my fear of scams is high enough that I'd rather not.

But you are right, there are 6 for sale there, 4 from the same company, one from a person and one from another company (but it's a refurb with a MAC warrenty.) So I could go that route. I guess I'll have to think about it seriously.

The idea of waiting is appealing, but if I want to use it on my vacation, I have to get it in the next few weeks. I doubt the next camera will be on the market by then :)

Eric

Nope, next camera probably won't be out till close to christmas, if then. I too would like to get a new 4500 to back up my 990 for my trip to sanibel island in september, i bought my 990 off ebay and have sold 2 other cameras on their without one problem, just make sure to check the feedback.

The way that the con artists are now stealing people's accounts and taking advantage of the good feedback, that strategy is less useful than it once was. Of course, most of those scams are on the higher end DSLRs where they claim to sell them for $3k when they are worth twice that.

Since that company (cameta camera, cameta.com) is selling several of 4500s and has a decent reputation both on resellerratings.com and at ebay I'll probably try them first. fraud protection on your credit card is there for a reason. :)

Eric

eric s said:
The way that the con artists are now stealing people's accounts and taking advantage of the good feedback, that strategy is less useful than it once was. Of course, most of those scams are on the higher end DSLRs where they claim to sell them for $3k when they are worth twice that.

Since that company (cameta camera, cameta.com) is selling several of 4500s and has a decent reputation both on resellerratings.com and at ebay I'll probably try them first. fraud protection on your credit card is there for a reason. :)

Eric

Also paypal has a satisfaction guarantee for a small percent of the purchase price, i think it was a $10 fee on a $400 auction.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back