• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommend Monocular? (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
I've got a decent scope, but my binoculars are broken.

I'm thinking of getting a monocular as it seems more convenient than binoculars and I only ever look through one eye anyway.

Firstly, is there anything I need to know before buying a monocular, never having used one before?

Secondly, is there a particular model that gives a good bright image for under £100?
I'd prefer a waterproof model but they're quite expensive. I'd want a straight one (i.e. not 45 degrees), and one where I can adjust the magnification would be preferrable too.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Thanks swalker, I'd seen the Sherwoods but not the other.

I went to Wildings to try to get some 'hands-on' but they only had binoculars. There aren't many (any?) shops in Warrington where I can actually have a go.

Thanks foxwood. I tried to go there once but couldn't find it.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who's got a monocular, if possible.

Thanks.

Recently given an Opticron 8x30 by my wife for my Birthday - convenience being the driving factor for the choice. Its good, and I'm very pleased with it. Nitrogen filled, waterproof etc. Wouldnt hesitate to recommend it.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/

Cheers,

Michael

Recently given an Opticron 8x30 by my wife for my Birthday - convenience being the driving factor for the choice. Its good, and I'm very pleased with it. Nitrogen filled, waterproof etc. Wouldnt hesitate to recommend it.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/

Cheers,

Michael

That looks pretty good if it's recommended; it's a definite "maybe".

Thanks Michael.

Hi 2520,
I've been pleased with the Zeiss 8x20B Design Selection monocular. It is small and robust enough to survive being carried as a pocket item, but has better eye relief and glasses compatibility than the still smaller 8x20 Classic. The size difference puts any 8x30 into a different category, IMO, equipment too large to be conveniently pocketed and hence much less likely to be taken as a matter of course.

Thanks etudiant.

It would be good if it was small enough to fit into my pocket, but still worth using. I don't want to keep getting out my scope - I tend to be on the move - so I've predominantly used my binoculars in the past.

Best on the market I find are the Opticron DBA 8X42 SRP £249.00 Which can also be bought as a 20x42 Pocket scope kit for SRP £349.00, complete with tripod mount.

Here's a small write up off South west Optics website:

Opticron
8x42 DBA MONOCULAR

Top of the line waterproof monocular - arguably the very best available from ANY manufacturer

Simply the best monoculars of their type, DBA OASIS are designed for the professional wildlife enthusiast, offering the very highest performance and specification in a compact roof prism design.

Unique features include:
• Complex multi-element long eye relief eyepieces with large diameter eye lenses that provide 7° (8x42) and 6° (10x42) Field of View with total viewing comfort.
• The highest quality OASIS® coated roof prisms with the addition of phase correction coating.
• Unique N-type multi-coating designed specifically to the strengths of the optical system. This allows the user to achieve the highest possible clarity & colour contrast - in all light conditions from early morning till dusk.
• Internal focusing with close focus to under 3 metres.
• Fully nitrogen gas filled waterproof construction to a depth of 5 metres.
• Natural rubber armouring with contoured ribs on the main body focus wheel to maximise comfort and handling with or without gloves.
• 3 stage locking rotating retractable eyecup assembly for spectacle wearers.

Weblink here: http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=2306

Good luck, All the best.

Wow! That's a little out of my league, but thanks anyway.

I went to Jessops today and tried out the Jessops Monocular 7x18 DCF. I was pleasantly surprised by the clarity and brightness of the image. It was very small - about the size of a pack of softmints. On the negative side it was very shaky, even when I rested my elbow on something solid. That might get on my nerves and make me feel sea-sick!

Are monoculars okay for use instead of binoculars? I usually go to places where there are a few hides, look at birds for 15 minutes or so in each. If necessary I get out my scope, but mostly I usually use my binoculars. I like the idea of monoculars, but would I regret it and end up getting binoculars anyway?

I was thinking of going to Martin Mere today, to the InFocus shop. I rang first but the man who answered put me off monoculars. He said he had some in and I was welcome to try them, but they're too shaky and the quality isn't as good as binoculars. I told him I find a better image with my binoculars when I only look through one eye, but he reckoned that means my lenses have been knocked out of line.

I'm more confused now than when I started.

The only real way I'm afraid is to try them out - saves you from confusing points of view from other people's perspective. Monoculars are different to use than binos but are still essentially half a binocular! At the same time get a trained optics advisor to check your bins for alignment and only if they need it, have them recallibrated. The 8 x 30 Opticron waterproof is a handy piece of kit and around the price you want to pay.

I was thinking of going to Martin Mere today, to the InFocus shop. I rang first but the man who answered put me off monoculars. He said he had some in and I was welcome to try them, but they're too shaky and the quality isn't as good as binoculars. I told him I find a better image with my binoculars when I only look through one eye, but he reckoned that means my lenses have been knocked out of line.

I'm more confused now than when I started.

Hi;

FWIW I have Zeiss 8x20, 6x20, 8x30, Leica LRF 7x? and several other range finder monoculars in Leupold, Bushnell and some others from 6x to 8x and 20 to 30mm and a lot of 8x30 finders with crosshairs (optically inferior). The first three Zeiss are just 1/2 of their pocket bins so the same quality. It has been my experience that a bin of comparable size will give you more brightness, better resolution and contrast and marginally better stability and stereopsis over the monocular. I prefer a 8x20 bino to the 8x30 monocular. The last group above are in laser range finders and I still carry a small bino with me all the time. In my opinion, the best use of monocular is space and weight savings, you can carry two monoculars of different powers or uses for about the same bulk of a binocular. Come to think of it, I guess my surveying instruments are monuculars, 30x50 and about 150 mm long.

Ron

Last edited:
I've got the Opticron 8x20 Gallery Scope and think it might fit your criteria - truly a pocket monocular, well-built aluminum housing, extreme close focus (literally a pocket microscope to 30X with microstand adapter), and quite affordable. I wouldn't prefer it to a nice pair of bins, of course, but if this is the one in my pocket then it's the one that's going to be used.

It's among those listed here:
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/opticron_binos/opticron_monoc_fs.htm

Hi 2520,
Pyrtle advice is sound, both elements. One,try the monoculars and see how they work for you. Note that a small monocular is not as intuitively targeted as are binoculars, so they have a learning curve.
Two, have your binocs checked out. You noted you use only one eye, is that an adjustment to a poor viewing experience when using both eyes with your binoculars?

Small monoculars deliver unmatched portability and generally quite adequate viewing. Larger versions don't seem as advantageous to me, as the gain in optical performance comes at the cost of greater bulk.

Small name brand monoculars from Zeiss and Minox are frequently sold on Ebay at relatively attractive prices. The tiny Zeiss Jena 8x20 Turmon folding monocular is especially compact, and often available, but takes even more getting used to.
While Ebay is very much a 'caveat emptor' situation, under 10% of the optics I've bought there have been duds. Still, a local optics dealer is obviously a much more reliable source.

Thanks for the comments. I went to Martin Mere and tried out a few 'eyepieces' with advice from the man who works there. I found that I can look through both eyes in new binoculars, which confirms that my old bins had been knocked out of line a long time ago.

Anyway, I bought some small binoculars in the end...8x26, field 8.1degrees, 142m/1000m...and they give a really bright, clear image. I still might get a monocular to keep in the van, but the main thing is that I can go twitching again.

i have A OPTICRON 10*42 BGA MONOCULAR which i bought from the shop in martin mere
it is abrilliant piece of kit i use it all the time its bright and sharp i cant get on with binos
wearing glasses this monocular gives a full field of vision with glasses on
you can get it at sherwoods for about £110
the add on eyepice wihch is 2.5 mag is rubbish though

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back