• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Key words there Jim are 'on offer'!

Booteds will be...
Slender-billed, could it have been Silver?
Black-headed Bunting on feeders ... not very wild (behaviour)

Sbg said to have a pinkish wash, do Silver Gulls have that? Has the wing pattern been seen? Must say the only photo I've seen is not brilliant

Edit, seen a better photo now :)

Last edited:
After NOT seeing the Slender-billed Gull at Titchwell that headed high east, I re-located to Cley. Looked from Dauke's Hide with ETM. Then, alone I searched Arnold's Marsh from East Bank until 9.30pm. Best bird was a Greenshank. Whilst I was there the third mega came up for the day.... Black-headed Bunting... only a few miles from me at Cromer. My holiday has ended, back at work tomorrow, gutted:C:C:C

If a middle aged gentleman was thinking about using the aforementioned Twitter for current and reliable local bird information, whom would be those one would follow?

Why are RBA Twittering such information rather than pager/apping it to their subscribers?
Looking at the photos on the RBA website I now know about, I'm disappointed to see it is not the fine adult male I hoped it might be.
I've had my lunch now, however, and still no information for today. It may be raining, but birds are still visiting my feeder (no buntings though).

This from RBA: 'BH Bunting just SSE of Cromer off Station Road, in back garden of 17 Harbord Road early morning and early afternoon. Birders welcome today, knock on front door'. Very good of the owners to allow access like this. A little too late in the day for me now, appointments to meet life outside birding etc. Hopefully it is refound.

Cheers,
Jim.

This from RBA: 'BH Bunting just SSE of Cromer off Station Road, in back garden of 17 Harbord Road early morning and early afternoon. Birders welcome today, knock on front door'. Very good of the owners to allow access like this. A little too late in the day for me now, appointments to meet life outside birding etc. Hopefully it is refound.

Cheers,
Jim.

To clarify: NO SIGN today early morning and early afternoon!

Why are RBA Twittering such information rather than pager/apping it to their subscribers?
Looking at the photos on the RBA website I now know about, I'm disappointed to see it is not the fine adult male I hoped it might be.
I've had my lunch now, however, and still no information for today. It may be raining, but birds are still visiting my feeder (no buntings though).

It does appear rather odd that RBA are putting such news out via a FREE twitter feed and not to their PAYING subscribers...

And going by the message "showing early morning and afternoon", I assume that refers to yesterdays sightings, which makes it just that bit more frustrating if it was there all day yesterday... Don't get me wrong as I know it was seen in a private garden so access may not have been possible but with the it being the first one since 1989... :C

Is anything going to 'stick' in Norfolk this spring!?

Titchwell May 27th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 colour ringed bird (possibly French ringed) on fresh marsh
Little gull - 1st summer on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - pair in reedbed
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh

No sign of the slender billed gull today. I have been sent some decent photos of the bird and have asked if I can post them online. Just waiting for a response from them.

Paul

Stuck in a traffic jam on the A47 near Whitlingham Lane at midday, Linda & I were astonished to see a small eagle circling overhead! We watched it for around five minutes before it disappeared behind the trees, and conjectured that it could only have been a Booted Eagle. Imagine our pleasure when we arrived home to find that a BE had been reported by others at the same time!

Nice one David :t:

I was stuck in the same traffic jam as you, three hours later, and although not in your Booted league, I did have a nice Red Kite lingering over. Never thought being stuck in a traffic jam had any plus points till yesterday!

Steve.

I doubt it, it's been like a monsoon in norfolk all day. We actually had to go birding in suffolk to get away from it!
Some of us still go birding in monsoons;););) Spent the evening birding at Gun Hill and Burnham Overy Dunes..... alot of birds flicking about, god knows what's in there, couldn't get on anything, incredibly frustrating. It will be teaming with birds when the sun eventually appears!:eek!:;):t:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Some of us still go birding in monsoons;););)

Penny:girl:

I seem to be one of these people. Yesterday I was out at 4am at titchwell, then did the dell and wells area, off to stifkey campsite and walked about a km west then km east, then to Walsay hills area, then to Cromer wood to position myself nicely for the bunting, that didn't show so headed to waxham.
I got soaked all day and saw sweet fa! I don't think I saw a single migrant either as all warblers appeared to be feeding young.
I'd billed yesterday as a mega day so was a little peeved that Iwoild have had a more rewarding day I'd-ing hoverflies at home, still if you don't go and try you don't find!
As always lovely to be up on the norfolk coast and nice to see so much of it in one day, shame the biggie didn't show, to be honest All I really wanted was my ickky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back