• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (1 Viewer)

Most inexpensive cameras that have IS use electronic sensor-based IS, not mechanical. That would not be available on an all glass binocular. Mechanical IS means additional weight.

The close focus distance on the Canon 10x42 IS is 8.2' (2.5m). Here in SoCal, many birders also do butterflies and dragonflies, and 8.2' is not sufficient.

As for carrying both binoculars and scope, that is determined by habitat. For sea watches, shorebirds, longspurs and pipits, waterfowl, and raptors, I carry my scope. For tighter quarters like forests, riparian areas, and urban parks, its binos only.

There is really no substitute for a good spotting scope for sea watches or any long distance observing. The Opticron IS Scope that Frank mentioned would be interesting to try. Interesting that all those IS binoculars come from Kamakura. Why couldn't Tract get an IS binocular built by Kamakura then? I think a lot of birders would be interested if they could get the weight down a little from the Canon IS and improve on the close focus.

Last edited:
There is some resistance to the concept as well. I look at the price and wonder what has been left out of the optical system to pay for the IS. Then there is the handling question: Canon's feel even more alien in my hands than porros. And if the battery runs out you are left with weight that is providing no benefit and who wants to carry spare batteries for bins as well as cameras?

Of course if you really like the IS system and what it provides, none of the above is serious, but I am not attracted to the current instruments at all due to the above. If I am going to view for a long time, I sit down and brace my arms on my knees and this is easily steady enough.

Lee

I guess using IS comes down to if you feel the negatives are worth putting up with for the positives. No matter how I sit or brace my arms I can't get the rock steady tripod like view I get with an IS binocular. Having a steady view to me more than makes up for slight advantages in the optics in other areas. A lot of times I don't have time to sit down and brace my arms when observing a fast fleeting seabird. Sometime you only have a few seconds to get that ID and IS a lot of the times makes the difference in getting the ID and not getting the ID especially when you are at the limits of your resolution. I think if Tract could make a really high quality IS binocular that was no more than 30 oz. and had fairly normal roof prism ergonomics it would really sell to birders.

Hi Bill thanks for this. So which company is it?
Choose from Kellogs, Kraft, Kawasaki, Kleenex or Kahles :eek!:
Or Kamakura :-O

Lee

Hey, you didn't hear it from me. Like Mark Twain, I'm getting so old most of the things I remember never happened at all! :cat:

Bill

I guess using IS comes down to if you feel the negatives are worth putting up with for the positives. No matter how I sit or brace my arms I can't get the rock steady tripod like view I get with an IS binocular. Having a steady view to me more than makes up for slight advantages in the optics in other areas. A lot of times I don't have time to sit down and brace my arms when observing a fast fleeting seabird. Sometime you only have a few seconds to get that ID and IS a lot of the times makes the difference in getting the ID and not getting the ID especially when you are at the limits of your resolution. I think if Tract could make a really high quality IS binocular that was no more than 30 oz. and had fairly normal roof prism ergonomics it would really sell to birders.

A lot of that makes sense Dennis and I can see the attraction but weight, handling, fov and close focus issues rule them out for me. However if a decent brand launched a model such as you describe at no more than 28ozs that could be interesting.

Lee

Right now for many birder's you have to give up too much in other areas to get IS. IS is a good thing though. I think if you could buy your Zeiss Conquest HD's and they had almost the same specifications but with a little button that made them perform like you were looking through a tripod I think you and many other people would buy them.

a little button that made them perform like you were looking through a tripod QUOTE]

Actually Dennis, there are not many people who want their binos to perform as if you were looking through a tripod :-O I have two tripods. I must try looking through them some time ;)

But I know what you mean :t:

Lee

Actually, Billy Bob Hendricks uses a tripod without the aid of optics for his viewing, says it's better than his SV, but that guy is REALLY (out there).:eek!::-O

Lee's the only one that knows what in thunder I'm talking about.:king:

a little button that made them perform like you were looking through a tripod QUOTE]

Actually Dennis, there are not many people who want their binos to perform as if you were looking through a tripod :-O I have two tripods. I must try looking through them some time ;)

But I know what you mean :t:

Lee

Actually, Billy Bob Hendricks uses a tripod without the aid of optics for his viewing, says it's better than his SV, but that guy is REALLY (out there).:eek!::-O

LOL. I gave my tripods a spring clean today and spent a few moments looking through them at the Bullfinches in our back garden. I have to say this left me unimpressed. I'm getting worried about Billy Bob.:-O

Lee

LOL. I gave my tripods a spring clean today and spent a few moments looking through them at the Bullfinches in our back garden. I have to say this left me unimpressed. I'm getting worried about Billy Bob.:-O

Lee
I better correct my error before this get's out of hand. I meant like you are looking through your binocular mounted to a tripod. There.B :)

Just one more post, one more page for the latest greatest that's all the rage?

Is this it, is it over?

One less bell to answer
One less egg to fry ...

I dont have the patience to trawl the 44 pages so will stick with a statement in response to the opening observation.

All alpha bins should have a focusing wheel given of zero overtravel and a smoothness attributable to the finest mechanical watchmaker.

No excuse for anything less.

LGM

I dont have the patience to trawl the 44 pages so will stick with a statement in response to the opening observation.

All alpha bins should have a focusing wheel given of zero overtravel and a smoothness attributable to the finest mechanical watchmaker.

No excuse for anything less.

LGM

Rules out most of them...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back