• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL (1 Viewer)

BertL

After trying quite a number of alpha binoculars, I went back to my first alpha bin, a Swarovski EL 8,5 x 42.
However it looks like Swarovski has fully redesigned the EL 42. Looking inside the tubes and compare it to the previous EL it is a complete different binocular. It looks more like an SLC inside.
It is still a very fine binocular, but slightly different. Less flat? Very good against bright light, a little softer? Beautifull colors and contrast. 8,5!!!
An excellent birders binocular, very glad to have it.

The only officially ackowledged change is a simplified (cheaper) focuser that loses some close-focus ability. That simplified focuser may be what you are seeing.

The only officially ackowledged change is a simplified (cheaper) focuser that loses some close-focus ability. That simplified focuser may be what you are seeing.
This IS my third EL 8.5X42, ALL SWAROVISION an Field pro. The first one had a close focus of 1,5 meters, the second one was 7 months ago and had a close focus of 3,3 meter.
This one two weeks old has a measured close focus of 2,6 meter. But also the internals are completely different. It looks like an SLC inside.
I do not know whether it is an upgrade or downgrade. Or streamlining the production so they share parts with the Kahles 8x42 an NL pure.
It is a very good binocalar though!!!!!

%

This IS my third EL 8.5X42, ALL SWAROVISION an Field pro. The first one had a close focus of 1,5 meters, the second one was 7 months ago and had a close focus of 3,3 meter.
This one two weeks old has a measured close focus of 2,6 meter. But also the internals are completely different. It looks like an SLC inside.
I do not know whether it is an upgrade or downgrade. Or streamlining the production so they share parts with the Kahles 8x42 an NL pure.
It is a very good binocalar though!!!!!

%
From the sound of your post I can only assume you have both the EL and SLC in had to compare side by side? Can you show pictures of both the EL and SLC internals so we can visualize what you're saying? I have an EL 8.5x42 which was purchased just a few months ago. However, I don't have an SLC to compare it with though.

After trying quite a number of alpha binoculars, I went back to my first alpha bin, a Swarovski EL 8,5 x 42.
However it looks like Swarovski has fully redesigned the EL 42. Looking inside the tubes and compare it to the previous EL it is a complete different binocular. It looks more like an SLC inside.
It is still a very fine binocular, but slightly different. Less flat? Very good against bright light, a little softer? Beautifull colors and contrast. 8,5!!!

Attachments

• 20220926_143802.jpg
    20220926_143802.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 93
From the sound of your post I can only assume you have both the EL and SLC in had to compare side by side? Can you show pictures of both the EL and SLC internals so we can visualize what you're saying? I have an EL 8.5x42 which was purchased just a few months ago. However, I don't have an SLC to compare it with though.

Attachments

• 20220926_143731.jpg
    20220926_143731.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 71
Which others did you try, and why were they not 'keepers'

Is it that you liked the EL’s or the 8.5? What are you saying that changed?

Paul
Internals are completely different, see the pictures. Apperently Swarovski has brought an entire new binocular on the market in the EL housing!!!
And as I said before it is a very good binocular!!!!

What did they do?

Internals are completely different, see the pictures. Apperently Swarovski has brought an entire new binocular on the market in the EL housing!!!
And as I said before it is a very good binocular!!!!

What did they do?
“It is still a very fine binocular, but slightly different. Less flat? Very good against bright light, a little softer? Beautifull colors and contrast. 8,5!!!”

BertL,
Are you saying here, it’s like a completely different binocular in the ELbody? Flat and neutral and bright has been the motivation for users of these binoculars. That might change my mind for the 42 ELs.

I enjoy them in my 32 & 50’s. So now I’ll have to really look into this so as not to be disappointed.

paul

Internals are completely different, see the pictures.
Thanks for posting those. I've asked before whether the internals of EL 42 Classic had been simplified in the way SLC 42 was in 2014 to reduce its price (see photo below)... and it seems they have indeed.

On the other hand, Swarovski insisted there was no optical change in SLC and one would expect the same here (except perhaps poorer baffling/blackening).

Attachments

• Swaro SLC 42 WB.jpg
    Swaro SLC 42 WB.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks for posting those. I've asked before whether the internals of EL 42 Classic had been simplified in the way SLC 42 was in 2014 to reduce its price (see photo below)... and it seems they have indeed.

On the other hand, Swarovski insisted there was no optical change in SLC and one would expect the same here (except perhaps poorer baffling/blackening).
It looks like the internals of the EL are now identical to the internals of the SLC/ Khales.

So the are streamlining there production proces in order to cut cost.
So the EL is dead long live the ELC.

The modifications in the EL took place in the last couple of months.

I cannot understand why any company would deliberately downgrade a binocular to below what they are capable of.
The old EL's, from memory, were superb, although I never owned any, I looked through them on several ocassions.
I understand that it takes them further away from the Pures, but if that's the case, the Pures aren't enough of an improvement to justify the purchase over the 'old' superb EL's.
I think they have seriously devalued the EL's deserved awesome reputation.

I cannot understand why any company would deliberately downgrade a binocular to below what they are capable of.
The old EL's, from memory, were superb, although I never owned any, I looked through them on several ocassions.
I understand that it takes them further away from the Pures, but if that's the case, the Pures aren't enough of an improvement to justify the purchase over the 'old' superb EL's.
I think they have seriously devalued the EL's deserved awesome reputation.
I must say, that despite the modifications it is an excellent binocular. I think it is maybe even better than the "old" EL. I am really happy with it. It think it is better than the far more expensive Noctivid, at least for me. I prefer it above the Victory SF. But binoculars are very personal.
I personally think it would even satisfy the people that appreciated the SLC 8X42 so much in the past.

I am looking forward to the experience of other people with this binocalar.

I must say, that despite the modifications it is an excellent binocular. I think it is maybe even better than the "old" EL. I am really happy with it. It think it is better than the far more expensive Noctivid, at least for me. I prefer it above the Victory SF. But binoculars are very personal.
I personally think it would even satisfy the people that appreciated the SLC 8X42 so much in the past.

I am looking forward to the experience of other people with this binocalar.
Are you able to compare the new one with the previous FP , side by side? Or are you going by memory ?

You say , they’re not as flat, are you saying they have more Curvature at the edges, like the SLC’s? And when you say softer, are saying a warmer, more yellow color rendition?

These things are not what I buy EL’s for, those are the things I buy an SLC , or with those personalities, that’s why I buy Leica. I don’t want to pay EL prices for a SLC.
thx

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back